Second Life Mobile 2023 - First Look

Linden Lab

5 minutes ago, Trinity Blakewell said:

We already knew that they were looking at the last part of the year for beta release, so this is not a surprise.

Correct. It's like we almost need to reply to every single post "when is it coming?", etc. with "sometime next year"..

Some people have such low expectations, they seem to think it's not coming at all just because they don't have the info.

28 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Correct. It's like we almost need to reply to every single post "when is it coming?", etc. with "sometime next year"..

Some people have such low expectations, they seem to think it's not coming at all just because they don't have the info.

To be fair, this is LL... How many "projects" have been announced that never showed up or showed up years later completely changed? I mean we are still waiting for flowing water and mirrors that actually work.. Why cant water be placeable? why cant i have a basement without water in it at ground level?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'd hate to see false info posted, but I asked about this at last week's community meeting, they suggested (note: not confirmed) first quarter 2024 for a closed beta.

I wonder how we users can get onto that trial.  It would be nice to know, and as I work shifts in RL I'd certainly like to give it a hop.

@Patch Linden

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

Well, I'd hate to see false info posted, but I asked about this at last week's community meeting, they suggested (note: not confirmed) first quarter 2024 for a closed beta.

I wonder how we users can get onto that trial.  It would be nice to know, and as I work shifts in RL I'd certainly like to give it a hop.

all the beta's I've ever seen LL has chosen people at random, betting it goes the same unless they actually put an application out for beta testing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cristian Hirsch said:

Nvdia GeForceNow and Boosteroid works nice and smooth with other games in any browser or device .... would simplify things much easy and faster ....just saying

I've looked into those. NVidia's GeForce Now is a useful service, but they want to control the identity and login process, and may want a fraction of revenue. GeForce Now has raised their prices several times. They started at $5/month, and now they're up to $20/month. There's an hours per day use limit. You're renting a dedicated PC with a GPU in a data center, so it's an expensive service to provide. That's why most cloud gaming companies exited the business (Google Stadia) or went broke.

Boosteroid has better pricing, but they have other problems. They're in Ukraine, and have to operate despite bombings. Customer service is slow to respond, for good reasons.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cristian Hirsch said:

Nvdia GeForceNow and Boosteroid works nice and smooth with other games in any browser or device .... would simplify things much easy and faster ....just saying

Given that the new iPhone is running AAA games I don't think remote streaming and the extra latency and stuff is really worth it. SL already has so much latency because every action is sent to the server, server handles it, then sends the update.

Imagine the latency in SL when you send your keypress to the streaming service, which then sends it to the simulator. The simulator processes everything, then it sends it to the streaming service, then the streaming service sends it back to you.

SL latency is already horrible compared to modern games who update your screen as soon as you do something and then checks with the server to make sure it's what actually happened.

Now imagine that on mobile internet where latency can be 200ms or more and now you have half a second between pressing move forward and your avatar actually moving, then you let off the movement button and you don't stop for half a second. Not everyone lives in a city with fast 5g and all the bells and whistles.

But I think those remote streaming services are doomed and will never take off. Mobile GPUs and CPUs are going to catch up before internet gets good enough to make it work.

iPhone 15 Pro

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios_devices/iphone-15

Intel Core i7 10700F

https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/2900345

AMD Ryzen 3700x

https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/2900385

Yes it's not that great to compare ARM to x86 and yes it's just geekbench. And yes there's better Intel and AMD CPUs. But these scores being so similar are something not many expected. And honestly that Ryzen and Core i7 is probably better than what a lot of people use to get in SL on their desktops and laptops.

Eventually that iPhone 15 pro performance will trickle down and your $700 phone will be just as fast. And eventually the $500 phone will get there too.

Hardware wise I think LL is going to launch the mobile viewer at a very great time. Mobile gaming, and the hardware and software, is reaching levels it's never been at before.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It was said it’d be released late 2023, it is literally now the last month of 2023 and still no further updates on the date release. I’ve seen this before being a veteran secondlife player: meaning back when it was clay people & flexi hair just coming out. I’ve been let down with promises SL would come to mobile before. I hoped this time would be different but here we are already in the last month of the year with the last update being in March? What is going on? Why no updates? Why no release date set? 

IMG_0839.png

• Thanks 2

On 9/27/2023 at 10:33 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

I’m lacking faith in this because we have been promised mobile for secondlife before and it fell through only to disappoint many of the secondlife user, them not giving a date and it already being the last month of the year with no updates feels like a flashback and leaves a bad taste. (Us who have played since clay people & flexi hair just coming out) We love secondlife but LindenLabs has fallen short before and broken trust in many ways. It’s hard to believe someone who cried wolf many times before and are showing the same patterns. I hope it will all turn out better this time since the technology is better and easier to use now I would assume. 

• Like 1

Well. Unity decided to make people who use their engine pay PER INSTALL. There was massive backlash, and it was changed, but they only added revenue limits which makes me think LL would still have to pay for EVERY INSTALL on any mobile device. So there was a ton of drama with the engine LL is using for the mobile viewer. I wouldn't be surprised if someone crunched numbers and decided it could end up costing them money to release a mobile client. Unity backtracked a bit and SL is in a really unique situation given Unity's pricing scheme. So maybe they've worked something out. But considering what happened with Unity and how furious the internet was with them, I would expect that drama to at least delay the mobile viewer by a bit.

Second the last mobile client was cancelled because it was basically Speedlight except less good and residents started to wonder why LL was even bothering.

Third I'm pretty sure everyone on LL's level realizes high end desktop is more or less a dying platform compared to phones, laptops, etc and no matter what cool stuff they do with SL, if their only market is people with gaming PCs, they are never going to be huge.

Fourth the mobile client is one of the most important things to happen to SL. Mainly because if they can get SL to run on a mid range phone, that means it'll run great even on low end laptops. Which means a huge hurdle of SL running terribly on people's computers could be coming to an end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Steam has about 20,000,000 users online right now, and they all have gamer PCs. SL has about 45,000 users online. Plenty of room for growth there.

SL on a phone screen is just too cramped for a big virtual world. It's a nice capability to have, but too limiting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, animats said:

Steam has about 20,000,000 users online right now, and they all have gamer PCs. SL has about 45,000 users online. Plenty of room for growth there.

SL on a phone screen is just too cramped for a big virtual world. It's a nice capability to have, but too limiting.

It doesn't appeal to me either but let's face it, SL is far more casual an experience than any real game you would find on Steam. It is of course - and I hate to be that person - not a game.

Those casual users that will stay logged in idly - maybe just using it as a sort of visual chat environment - are the users that will be targeted with a mobile port. Maybe on larger devices the experience could be something more.

I would love to see SL modernised and brought to a whole new gamer audience (provide the tools to make games possible on the platform!) but that isn't going to happen any time soon and is of course far more difficult a task than just targeting the massive number of casual mobile users who likely won't expect much from the product anyway.

Better released with some delay and in good working order, than publish under time pressure with lots of happy little accidents  (TM Bob Ross).
If the first release still has a few major flaws, it makes the project pretty much worthless IMHO.
People expect perfectly working apps for their phones these days. No second chances, on to the next possible shiny.

So my view: Take as much time as is needed LL, as long as the result is outstanding on release.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, animats said:

Not all of them do, some of them are on laptops or mid range computers.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/?sort=pct

Roblox averaged over 70 million daily active users in Q3 2023. 500 million downloads on Google Play.

I'm not fond of smartphones either, but the market there is huge and it's a lot more lucrative (i.e. they will spend a lot more in game).

Phone is also a matter of convenience. It'll be a lot easier to get on SL on a phone than  PC.

Mobile viewer will never ever replace the desktop viewers. You are right. No one is going to give up their desktop SL for a phone. But it should be able to bring in a lot of new users.

Not to mention it's based on Unity which means they are gonna have easy porting to a lot more than mobile.

There are lots of actual, legitimate games for mobile with worlds a lot bigger than an SL sim.

• Like 3