Price increase

Torrie Mint

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had not noticed that yet.  As a seller I can't think why anyone would do that as it is actually more work. Especially if you are selling things with a hud.  I would have to give it some thought before I would try it.  But yes I hear you,  I guess that would affect folks with multiple bodies and would prefer sizes all be in one pack. I know a lot of folks who might be dismayed by this practice.  Guess the sellers feel it brings in more cash that way.  Shrugs I dunno.

4 minutes ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

I had not noticed that yet.  As a seller I can't think why anyone would do that as it is actually more work. Especially if you are selling things with a hud.  I would have to give it some thought before I would try it.  But yes I hear you,  I guess that would affect folks with multiple bodies and would prefer sizes all be in one pack. I know a lot of folks who might be dismayed by this practice.  Guess the sellers feel it brings in more cash that way.  Shrugs I dunno.

Mostly I see that instead of paying 1000+ for a fatpack with ALL bodies, I can now buy a body specific fatpack for much less.  I suppose some merchants do it differently but I just don't buy from them.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Mostly I see that instead of paying 1000+ for a fatpack with ALL bodies

Are fat packs really 1000L?  I haven't seen any that expensive for years!  Everything I make is in a fat pack and I have never charged more than 450 tops,  the usual price is around 350.  I price them that way so people can afford to get it all at a very fair price.  So I am not sure how I would handle switching to doing body specific items.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The multi body fatpacks were nice for people thinking about switching bodies .. seems the market has conspired to lock people in.

How? I really don't see an issue wit hit, A it is far cheaper than paying 1200 dollars for a whole dang fatpack and you are not sitting there having to delete 19 different sizes as you will only use 1. To me the multi-body fatpacks are an absolute waste of money and I am ultimately saving money by just buying for my body. 

15 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

How? I really don't see an issue wit hit, A it is far cheaper than paying 1200 dollars for a whole dang fatpack and you are not sitting there having to delete 19 different sizes as you will only use 1. To me the multi-body fatpacks are an absolute waste of money and I am ultimately saving money by just buying for my body. 

The point is you used to just pay for the item .. and got that item for all the bodies included, at the single item price.

Multi body fatpacks are a new thing.

• Like 1

I believe that some stores use that method as a way to gauge which bodies are popular/selling in their product line and which aren't. 

I haven't personally seen it often myself, and I'm not really a fatpack kind of shopper unless they're on a severe discount or I've got store credit. I would honestly skip over a store that sold per body. I prefer answering the body surveys - they're not perfect, of course, but I don't feel like I'm receiving less when I shop in stores that use them (I keep all of the body sizes I get because who knows if some body or another gets a giant discount or goes free in the future - and I'm a big ole hoarder).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The point is you used to just pay for the item .. and got that item for all the bodies included, at the single item price.

Yes it is a new thing, and it should have been a thing. When people started to rig for mesh bodies. My point is, I find I am saving money when it is sold by the body. I mean good example, one store sells their fatpacks by body at 300L and generally sells all the bodies in that fatpack at 1200L. With that creator and I love her stuff, I am saving 900L. I feel like its a win win and I can afford to buy more outfits than before. I think this is a great idea. But then again, I am still paying for an item. But I am not having to take forever to delete for the mesh bodies I don't have. I mean Fatpacks as they were, are meaningless for people who only wear one body. You have to go through and delete 13 other different sizes. This saves me money and time. 

16 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:
1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Yes it is a new thing, and it should have been a thing. When people started to rig for mesh bodies. My point is, I find I am saving money when it is sold by the body. I mean good example, one store sells their fatpacks by body at 300L and generally sells all the bodies in that fatpack at 1200L. With that creator and I love her stuff, I am saving 900L. I feel like its a win win and I can afford to buy more outfits than before.

I don't think you understood what Coffee was saying.

The 300L item would've included a version for all bodies and there was no more expensive fatpack at all.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I don't think you understood what Coffee was saying.

The 300L item would've included a version for all bodies and there was no more expensive fatpack at all.

I get the general idea, but I don't think that charging 300L takes into account for the creator. Some of these creators are just one-person shows and don't have a team backing them. That being said, I think 1200L is generally a good price if you want the item that includes all the bodies.

I have been following this, reading all the comments so far and I really do not think it is possible to get any sort of "plan" for sales that will suit everyone.  SL has grown, and changed so much over the 17 years I have been here.  And it is at the point now with fashion that there are so so many bodies, coming out seems like a new one every week or so.  Impossible for clothing makers to keep up with it all.  I guess each one has his or her own way of tackling the issue.  And what one comes up with is going to upset some and please others.  As far as pricing goes,  I expect the "big name" stores and creators can get away with pricing as high as they like because they are so big and have such a large following.  The rest of us just do the best we can within our time frames and budget limits, and hope we can come up with a plan that works.  I thought selling several body choices plus a colour or texture hud with 6 to 8 changes for 350L  was a pretty good deal.  I still think so.  So guess I will just continue along until some other way seems better.  Or maybe I have just been here too long and am set in my ways lol.

Edited by Tazzie Tuque
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

I thought selling several body choices plus a colour or texture hud with 6 to 8 changes for 350L  was a pretty good deal.  I still think so.  So guess I will just continue along until some other way seems better.  Or maybe I have just been here too long and am set in my ways lol.

That is a very good deal! I wouldn't worry too much about changing how you're selling things. The majority of stores I shop in haven't changed anything either. Do what works best for you and your customers.

As for the per body packs themselves, it definitely seems like stores are looking for ways to cut down their workloads. If a place sells X Maitreya, Y Legacy, Z Reborn, and low numbers for everything else, that gives them easy insight into what they could possibly cut from their line. With normal fatpacks, they might not have any idea what's being worn most. Also, selling per body eliminates the need to do all the work putting single colors out. I kind of get that - it's tedious.

That said, I'm still not a fan. I usually just buy a single color or two, or a discounted mini pack at most, and keep all my sizes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

Are fat packs really 1000L?  I haven't seen any that expensive for years!  Everything I make is in a fat pack and I have never charged more than 450 tops,  the usual price is around 350.  I price them that way so people can afford to get it all at a very fair price.  So I am not sure how I would handle switching to doing body specific items.

Depends on the shop. Hilly Haalan sells clothing items just all ready with all the textures/colours etc as if they were fat packs for amazing prices, often under L400. I swear if HH did better lingerie I'd spend most of my clothing allowance there.

Other stores, and I won't name names but some of the popular ones we all know, sell fat packs ranging up to L1500 to L2000. I could point you to a dozen very popular stores with those prices.

• Like 1

There is no rhyme or reason behind how merchants choose to package and price their creations.  I've seen fatpacks with 10 colors and 10 patterns with numerous bodies that sell for 1000L+.  I've also seen fatpacks with 8 basic colors with only 2 bodies sell for the same price.

We, as consumers, make the decision to buy or not just as they decide how to price.  That's a free market for ya.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

There is no rhyme or reason behind how merchants choose to package and price their creations.  I've seen fatpacks with 10 colors and 10 patterns with numerous bodies that sell for 1000L+.  I've also seen fatpacks with 8 basic colors with only 2 bodies sell for the same price.

We, as consumers, make the decision to buy or not just as they decide how to price.  That's a free market for ya.

Random behavior is random.

• Like 1

I'm surprised it hadn't started sooner.

If I sold clothing, I'd separate by body, too.

I could use that to gauge what is popular and what is not.

Right now, blindly rigging for 5, 7, 12 bodies and putting it all in a pack doesn't give you logistics.

I'd rather have all colors in a per-body pack that is cheaper than a fatpack that caters to half a dozen or more bodies I don't own and/or will never/rarely wear.

I don't believe people should treat multi-body packs as some kind of standard or tradition that can never change.

I'm all for lessening the burden on creators, even if that means your favorite, not-so-popular body may suffer less and less available clothing options each year.

And I say this a wearer the Kemono mesh body with fitted torso mod.

I know a thing or two about a lack of available clothing, heh.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 7

Honestly, a lot of things I see I can get  in full perm or something close, sometimes for more than one body.. I kick myself every time I see something in the full perms that I already bought.. hehehe

The more original creators that do make their own things is a different story. On one hand I can understand having to rig for each body and wanting something for that.. But it would be nice if there were individual body packs as well..

If not then if it's not something I really am wanting really bad, I can do without..It would have to be something pretty much not similar to anything else though.. hehehe

Also, if it's no mod, that plays into the picture as well.. I have a real hard time paying for things that are no mod..Especially if they are high priced..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
Just sprinkling more typos around.

I get that some creators really want to make a bit of extra and some even make their rl living on that, and it's their right. However most (not all, though) stores that try to push the body pack model lately are rigging for far too many bodies and/or mods. Again, it's their right, and I won't call it greed in most cases, but it's still a self made problem them are trying to "solve" by separating body packs.

My favorite few female clothing makers only support the top 3 (Maitreya, Legacy and Reborn), with Petite/Perky/Juicy whenever it's needed and makes sense, which is not always. None sell by body pack and as far as I know they don't plan to. A few more creators I also like, including a few I know personally, support even less bodies, Legacy and Reborn plus occasional mod like Maze if the release fits it. None of them sells the body packs either.

Top few male (original) clothing creators I know support 2 to 3 bodies too, none sells the body packs a well, although their prices are already above average as is.

As far as my own preferences go - since that trend started I've bought exactly one of such "body packs" at the full price. A few at the weekend sale prices. I do swap bodies and what's more important, I really have no use for other colors than black, and rarely white. So for me it's a terrible deal as I would end up paying more for the same 1-2 colors by either buying 2 body packs, or even more by buying the fatpack (if available it usually includes all body sizes in such cases).

We'll see how it goes, but so far those body pack creators only lost money on me as I'd buy something in the color I want right away, but instead have waited until it became available at the weekend sales because I'm not paying ~1k L$ for one clothing piece in one color in two body sizes I need.

16 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

You have to go through and delete 13 other different sizes.

Many creators use better unpacking scripts these days that let you choose the size you want. More should do it, too, and hopefully will. That said deleting extra sizes, landmarks, notecards and textures from the folder shouldn't really take you more than a few seconds in most cases. So unless you make a new outfit every hour it's a non issue.

Edited by steeljane42

1 hour ago, steeljane42 said:

1k L$ for one clothing piece in one color in two body sizes I need.

That's not how it's being sold.  It's generally, at least in the ones I've purchased, between 250-400L for a fatpack for one body.  So, less than 1000L for 2 fatpacks for 2 bodies.  I almost always prefer a fatpack if I like more than one color OR it has patterns also.  I'd never pay 500L for one color items.

19 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

That's nothing.  Recently I wanted to buy one color (just one body was fine) of just some pants and it would have cost me 1200 lindens.  I wrote a long semi- rant questioning the FATPACK idea. Here is a snippet from that post.

image.thumb.png.52ed8da87a015f5effe77c8ba2e5fbad.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

That's nothing.  Recently I wanted to buy one color (just one body was fine) of just some pants and it would have cost me 1200 lindens.  I wrote a long semi- rant questioning the FATPACK idea. Here is a snippet from that post.

image.thumb.png.52ed8da87a015f5effe77c8ba2e5fbad.png

I have noticed that for some creators, they only sell these huge megapacks at Events, but then afterwards, they sell everything individually or in smaller packs at the store.  Something to check anyway, if you really want the bottoms.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.