Question for Lindens.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am watching the superbowl,  I noticed "Meta" had an ad for their "virtual world"  why is the lab not making ad's like this to promote one of the oldest worlds in the metaverse?   I know some of us old timers will have some things to say about it, but SL should be at the top of the list for worlds out there. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I am watching the superbowl,  I noticed "Meta" had an ad for their "virtual world"  why is the lab not making ad's like this to promote one of the oldest worlds in the metaverse?   I know some of us old timers will have some things to say about it, but SL should be at the top of the list for worlds out there. 

Meta makes a lot of money from offering advertising services on it's other platforms, plus Meta's virtual worlds are family friendly, I believe.  I've never been on it if you mean Horizon.  SL would do better advertising in the adult spaces, not that SL is all adult but it is in some ways perceived that way.  SL is not perceived as family oriented.  They'd have to split the grid again if they wanted a family oriented SL.  Super bowl wants mostly family oriented ads other than perhaps beer.  lol  Just my .12 cents.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

Giggling about a platform banned from Twitch for adult content and appearing on its prohibited games list surrounded by some of the most vile game titles I've ever seen advertising on TV during prime time.

2943.gif

Jokes aside, I wish they could make use of TV ads, but I really don't know if they're that brave. 

Have they ever advertised on television?

• Like 6

They can't advertise on adult platforms- people clicking on those ads are looking for instant results, not tens or hundreds of dollars invested to make an ugly avatar in a clunky UI with partners that might say no.

They can't advertise anywhere else because the adult activity has them banned from everywhere.

Truth is, SL is unique because of all the things it offers- none of which it does well enough to advertise.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Kylie Jaxxon said:

Big, big bucks to advertise during the SB :(

^^ This.  A lot of the ad spots were running many millions of dollars for a 30-second spot.  The only super cheap spots -- costing only many hundreds of thousands of dollars -- were scooped up long ago.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

^^ This.  A lot of the ad spots were running many millions of dollars for a 30-second spot.  The only super cheap spots -- costing only many hundreds of thousands of dollars -- were scooped up long ago.

I just can't see LL spending that kind of money :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, animats said:

It won awards. But it didn't show any of Second Life.

I think a better, more entertaining, and a lot cheaper* option would have been to just .. Have a couple of Lindens dress up in Village People inspired costumes and dancing to YMCA in a build with too many disco lights.

*except I have no idea what kind of cost would be involved to actually play that song for an international advertisement.

• Like 2

I think "advertising" that worked well back in olden times, was when TV shows had episodes with plot lines based on Second Life (usually not named), which generated news stories that explained it was based on Second Life. These days, the same / similar news stories would probably talk about some other m'verse or MMPORG, then grudgingly mention that Second Life came the closest to what was represented. 

• Thanks 1

Meta just had another 15 minutes of fame after this superbowl. The ad money, meanwhile, has passed the event horizon, like all of Meta's previous investments. Instead, I bet (hope/assume) LL is focusing on the upcoming media campaign for SL's 20th anniversary. Hopefully, this summer, SL will see an uptick that we usually (used to) see around the holidays.

• Like 4

Kids, what seems to be the SL desired demographic, like new stuff, not something that is 20 years old.  Ewww, 20th anniversary, my parents just celebrated that.  Not going to that old game.

They could give a discount to AARP members, a growing demographic with real money.  And forget about shiny reflective doorknobs that nobody I know gets excited about.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Kids, what seems to be the SL desired demographic, like new stuff, not something that is 20 years old.  Ewww, 20th anniversary, my parents just celebrated that.  Not going to that old game.

They could give a discount to AARP members, a growing demographic with real money.  And forget about shiny reflective doorknobs that nobody I know gets excited about.  

A discount on what exactly?

"Hey kids, come and get your 20% discount on our free sign up and save yourself $0 now!" isn't exactly a compelling sales pitch.

LL can't give a discount on the purchase of L$ since it's a resident to resident transaction and while they could give a discount on tier fees it would pointless since that would only matter to residents who are invested enough in the platform to consider owning land and spending a monthly fee on it.

The point of shiny doorknobs (and all the other graphical improvements) is to stop SL looking like it's 20 years old.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

You know you''re officially old when you get your first snail mail from them with your name on it!  It's a common topic in some clubs in SL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

"Hey kids, come and get your 20% discount on our free sign up and save yourself $0 now!" isn't exactly a compelling sales pitch.

AARP is not for the kids.  

AARP (formerly called the American Association of Retired Persons) is an interest group in the United States focusing on issues affecting those over the age of fifty.[3] The organization said it had more than 38 million members in 2023. The magazine and bulletin it sends to its members are the two largest-circulation publications in the United States.

It was founded in 1958. 

And SL could get a monthly full page glossy color advertisement in the two largest circulation publications in the USA for a tiny fraction of what a Super Bowl video advert would cost.  Cheap and a targeted audience, for offering a discount to over age fifty members.  But SL and the gamers here think the young gamers and mesh designers looking for the new and shiny are their target audience.  And so SL stagnates.

Presenting LL your AARP card number, LL/Tilia could check against your RL name, and give you a 25% discount on any Premium membership. Video card and computer manufacturers could also give a "senior" discount for new upgrades and systems.  SL is set up more as a social organization, which fits the over 50 crowd better than the z-gen gamers., with 10 min max attention spans, and no concept of history yet.

But LL management is full of "young kids" who only see within their own bubble.  Hence shiny doorknobs, which I guarantee most AARP members could not give a mouse t*rd about, are called an attraction to spend big bucks on.

Now I will admit, the PBR demo on youtube did get me looking at my real life brass and chrome doorknobs - for the first time in my life.  First I had to use a cleaner solution to get the grunge off.  Then, well what do you know, my bathroom has 5 bright lights above the sink, and I can see 5 tiny white spots on the chrome plated doorknob.  I feel 50 years younger finding this previously ignored effect.  But I still don't care if it can happen in SL, because I  just don't find my SL doorknobs that satisfying, reflective or not.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

AARP is not for the kids. 

My bad, as a non-American I wasn't aware and just assumed since you were talking about LL trying to attract young people.  That being said I'm still not convinced that offering discounts on premium membership is going to be that effective given how difficult it is to get people to stick around even without asking them to spend money.

Video card and computer manufacturers could also give a "senior" discount for new upgrades and systems.

They could but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that one given the current trends in gpu prices etc.

I  just don't find my SL doorknobs that satisfying, reflective or not.

Yeah, it's a real shame LL didn't consider expanding the PBR system so it could be applied to things other than doorknobs.... oh, wait, they did! :P 

I'll agree that LL could put more effort into creating some impressive PBR environments to show off but let's face it that would be pretty out-of-character for them given their reliance on user-generated content over the last two decades.  There's a reason that they're urging creators to log in and test content on the beta grid and it's not because the Lindens are standing around on Aditi feeling lonely, of course they want more data on how the new features are running on various hardware but I'd imagine they're equally eager to have something to look at aside from the armies of Matts that are currently occupying the Rumpus Rooms (somebody really needs to make a marching animesh Matt, or maybe upload some static posed versions, dress them up in uniforms and stage a mock battle for fun).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

The point of shiny doorknobs (and all the other graphical improvements) is to stop SL looking like it's 20 years old.

SL doesn't look old now except for the Classic avatar and some of the really old stuff.  Gacha, for one, helped bring out some of the classiest 3D created stuff ever.  SL has the best content, that's why it's the best virtual world.  None can compare.  

@Ayashe Ninetails to answer a question you asked:  Has SL ever been on TV?  It has been on the news.  Whether there has ever been a commercial on TV, I don't know.  

Classiest content EVER!~ SL (putting just one photo below in mist/fog)  I hope for those shiny doorknobs, they don't break SL's current content.  

Screenshot (1668).png

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

They can't advertise on adult platforms- people clicking on those ads are looking for instant results, not tens or hundreds of dollars invested to make an ugly avatar in a clunky UI with partners that might say no.

They can't advertise anywhere else because the adult activity has them banned from everywhere.

Truth is, SL is unique because of all the things it offers- none of which it does well enough to advertise.

Ah, true.  SL is not instant gratification, that's probably why so many leave.  Many people want to hook up for "cybering" immediately when joining things like this.  That's probably really the truth as to why so many leave.  It's not the FPS that make them leave or some other lame excuse.  It's that they didn't get instant gratification sexually.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Because they blew 8 figures on Sansar, which failed. Then they had to sell that platform. Then had to sell this platform.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.