New Men's Body. Let's guess how much buy-in they'll get.

Blaise Glendevon

On 11/9/2022 at 5:40 AM, BigMcIntoshSL said:

This a good point that did not occur to me. I suppose Alpha Cuts are here to stay unless LL can come up with some sort of asymmetrical Alpha Mask solution.

I doubt there will be any changes to SL to provide a two-arm UV Map to the classic body, which is where the problem is. The Lab is very legacy-compatible conscious.

But, there is nothing to keep designers from making bodies with a different UVMap. Slink has done that with their C&C bodies. But those are not going over well. I think the reason is because of all the problems like what EVO is having with people understanding why special skins, makeup, and tats are needed for their head.

Designers have to change how they make skins for a two-arm map to work. So far it seems they are sticking with the basic UVMap made for the classic avatar, or very similar maps. Thus the alpha-cuts route is the current solution. This is a case where diversity is more of a problem than a help.

22 hours ago, Cali Souther said:

Not to derail, but can you create an alpha to hide, say,  the hair under a hat?   I don't think so - but thought I would ask.  You never know. :)

Actually, no.

The avatar and prims (most everything else) run through different render channels. The Avatar channel understands masking. The prim channel doesn't. The basic modeling process is to use transparent textures on prims. They are designed to look as one wants and thus can avoid the added render cost of composite rendering of masks. The avatar is a special case. Use of masks was a simple solution for the avatar.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Cali Souther said:

Not to derail, but can you create an alpha to hide, say,  the hair under a hat?   I don't think so - but thought I would ask.  You never know. :)

You can use Modifiable hair under a hat.  Most times, I'll just use a really nice hairbase with babyhairs in the front and possible a bun low on the back of the head.   Tram hair is or used to be sizable.  There are other stores as well that sell non-rigged hair which you can play with to fit under a hat.  I just find the hairbase option is much easier.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

You can use Modifiable hair under a hat.  Most times, I'll just use a really nice hairbase with babyhairs in the front and possible a bun low on the back of the head.   Tram hair is or used to be sizable.  There are other stores as well that sell non-rigged hair which you can play with to fit under a hat.  I just find the hairbase option is much easier.

I purchased a hair the other day because of the hat option that came with it, ended up loving the hair as is without the hat. 

On 11/8/2022 at 7:18 PM, Stephanie Misfit said:

be.raon has a new skin for this body, which is great because all of the skins I had in my inventory were really muscular looking.

Screenshot 2022-11-09 121729.png

I went and grabbed demos of the skins, and a couple for the Lelutka heads they have there. Seems to me the body doesn't match the head skins. I have tried different settings and its still off . Are there any other skins made specifically for this body?

1 minute ago, Modulated said:

I went and grabbed demos of the skins, and a couple for the Lelutka heads they have there. Seems to me the body doesn't match the head skins. I have tried different settings and its still off . Are there any other skins made specifically for this body?

Yeah, Gloom has made some but I have not tried those. I am using the be.raon body skin with a head skin from Not Found and getting around the mismatch by using a neck blender, you could try that. If I recall though that be.raon demo has so many lines on it, it is hard to tell if it is going to match, anyway. This is the Gloom skin.

Gloom. - Dioscuri Body - Cz Slim Body Update

• Thanks 2

I went ahead and purchased the body after using the demo. I like it a lot. I did find by accident that some of my Jake body skins from Clef de Peau (T2 -their skins not the Velour ones) seem to work perfectly, the hands and feet look normal. There is still some definition to the body which I prefer but its not overly done. I think this body is going to get more support -at least I hope so.

DbFTIht.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Modulated said:

I went ahead and purchased the body after using the demo. I like it a lot. I did find by accident that some of my Jake body skins from Clef de Peau (T2 -their skins not the Velour ones) seem to work perfectly, the hands and feet look normal. There is still some definition to the body which I prefer but its not overly done. I think this body is going to get more support -at least I hope so.

DbFTIht.jpg

That actually looks really good!

• Thanks 1

Can't say I like the look and no alpha cuts is a very limiting factor given how UV is, but I saw a size for it in the newest toksik's release I've just got. Not unexpected given their avatars preferences, but either way here it is.

toksik - Restless Sweater

It'll be up at the Kustom9 in a day, but there's a cam sim, so it's possible to grab it early if someone wants to.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

It looks really nice, but my question is, how well does it fit vtech/mait flat stuff?

That'll determine how much I'd like it.

Go try the demo and see, I think most of us posting here are using it on male avatars so may not have Maitreya Flat or V Tech stuff in our inventories to be able to say whether or not it fits.

8 hours ago, Robin Kiyori said:

It looks really nice, but my question is, how well does it fit vtech/mait flat stuff?

I didn't try much Maitreya Flat, but V-Tech doesn't fit in the chest area at all. Similar to Legacy Male that way - very floaty.

The closest fit I've found for tops is Legacy Male (which isn't great, but some items are workable). None of my current V-Tech clothing is wearable.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Fixing stuffs
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2022 at 10:32 PM, Janet Voxel said:

I dunno, guys are still wearing Aesthetic.....

I'd love to see a Dad-bod body though.

Yes please!

There should be a wide range of body types available and it just doesn't seem like there is for men at all.  I want more realistically proportioned men!

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 2:23 PM, Marianne Little said:

Many creators does not bother with an alpha mask.

Oh yes, I have seen tutorials "how to make your own alpha mask". No way. I would have to log into the test grid for uploads, or pay a texture upload 2-3 times before it is right. Plus all the time spent. I don't want to do that work.

Making alpha masks for multiple clothes... Hard no.

It is many free packs of alpha layers, and they are a p_a_i_n to use. Nothing fits right, unless you have a very big garment and need an alpha for the whole torso, or the whole legs. It takes too much time. I often wear clothes just a few times, if I had just 3-4 outfits, it would be an easy thing to do.

Yeah I'd agree there, that whole experiment is a proven failure and body huds really need the normal alpha options.

Even if creators were including the alphas it would make for very messy and potentially confusing folders. 

On 11/9/2022 at 1:18 AM, Stephanie Misfit said:

be.raon has a new skin for this body, which is great because all of the skins I had in my inventory were really muscular looking.

Screenshot 2022-11-09 121729.png

I wonder how this would look with the sliders increased some? I like it, muscle definition is far more 'average' in a good way!

20 hours ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Good question. I had to find out too.

Here's Cat trying on the Maitreya flat on CZ. It looks decent enough from the front...

maitflattest01.thumb.jpg.b27ad9bf9815e7d2fb2efe8720544fcf.jpg

But when you turn around, the shirt collapses into the spine. This happens with all female rigged shirts.

maitflattest02.thumb.jpg.a3f7ed91315ee9dec8d0c5dc299383a1.jpg

:/ 

maitflattest03.thumb.jpg.b838c9e67afd1aeb8feb9721de587992.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Good question. I had to find out too.

Here's Cat trying on the Maitreya flat on CZ. It looks decent enough from the front...

maitflattest01.thumb.jpg.b27ad9bf9815e7d2fb2efe8720544fcf.jpg

But when you turn around, the shirt collapses into the spine. This happens with all female rigged shirts.

maitflattest02.thumb.jpg.a3f7ed91315ee9dec8d0c5dc299383a1.jpg

:/ 

maitflattest03.thumb.jpg.b838c9e67afd1aeb8feb9721de587992.jpg

To be FAIR there is a ton of clothing made for Maitreya that does nto fit Maitreya or at least needs LOTS of alphaing.   So that pretty much comes with the territory. Just saying. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

To be FAIR there is a ton of clothing made for Maitreya that does nto fit Maitreya or at least needs LOTS of alphaing.   So that pretty much comes with the territory. Just saying. 

Yeah there are at least a couple of stores who exclusively rig for Maitreya, but their clothing does not fit Maitreya at all. These are popular stores in big events. 

• Like 2

Is there normal clothes for this body? All I've seen is a sweatshirt with rips which is fine. The baggy pants from crybunbun looks like plastic latex. Can we lay off the latex look and just have some normal fabric? 

I'm starting to realize though that this new body might not be meant for straight men from what I have seen so far which is a shame. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, TimKoul said:

Is there normal clothes for this body? All I've seen is a sweatshirt with rips which is fine. The baggy pants from crybunbun looks like plastic latex. Can we lay off the latex look and just have some normal fabric? 

I'm starting to realize though that this new body might not be meant for straight men from what I have seen so far which is a shame. 

Because straight men are never slender?  Because straight men don't wear latex?

I'm not following your line of reasoning.  What are normal clothes?  Are you offering to create something you find normal and acceptable to you?

• Like 4