What does a Linden dollar look like?

Istelathis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The news of J.P. Morgan investing in Tilia has lead me down a rabbit hole of trying to find out what Linden cash looks like, or if there was ever a design in the first place that would represent the virtual currency.  Do any of you know of such a thing in SL?  If not, perhaps just what you think it would look like would be fun. This is mostly just a thread created out of boredom, so have fun with it.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

trying to find out what Linden cash looks like

It is not a physical currency. Therefore, it looks like "nothing". 

(Other's have replies above on what was "proposed", but it is of course hard to tell if those were ever serious or were all originally jokes.)

But similarly to BitCoin, the L$ is its own symbol.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

and

image.png.eb40dcc5b4f666c66198a8c9eeadc70a.png

Do you know if that is the one which the money trees used to produce?   I was looking for one of those, and found an old pixelated video and it sort of looks the same.  

Edited by Istelathis

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The OP question is confusing - from my perspective, "nobody ever said a real Linden Dollar would ever exist", at least not in recent history.

So, the presupposition is false that a physical Linden Dollar would exist.

49 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

The news of J.P. Morgan investing in Tilia has lead me down a rabbit hole of trying to find out what Linden cash looks like, or if there was ever a design in the first place that would represent the virtual currency

I'm just looking for a representation of what it would look like in world, not what the virtual currency with no physical attributes looks like.

2 hours ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

It was crypto before there was even crypto

Actually not. Lindens are controlled by a central authority. Lindens are a "gaming token".

Cryptocurrency (or “crypto”) is a class of digital assets created using cryptographic techniques that enable people to buy, sell or trade them securely. Unlike traditional fiat currencies controlled by national governments, cryptocurrencies can circulate without a monetary authority such as a central bank.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Istelathis said:

Do you know if that is the one which the money trees used to produce?   I was looking for one of those, and found an old pixelated video and it sort of looks the same.  

It is. Look at the money tree picture on this page: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_to_Earn_Linden_Dollars_in_Second_Life

and the fourth and sixth picture here: https://sl4nowt.wordpress.com/2008/04/13/newbie-guide-to-money-trees/

The texture is by Arcadia Asylum and it's the one she used for the (non functional ) "Little Money Tree" but as far as I can see it's not in any of the texture collections in the Arcaida Asylum Library or at AleyMart. I have no idea where I got it from. I thought it was from Aley's texture organizer (she used to give away copies of it to all wannabe builders who used to hang around at Kuula) but I can't find it there either. I can't go through all the categories in organizer right now though, that would take way too much time.

Anyway, I sent you a copy of the texture.

• Thanks 1

Linden dollars are a digital token. They have no actual physical existence. This is not necessarily a bad thing; most "official" fiat currencies are largely digital in nature too. There's a lot more dollars in the system than there are physical bills.

But as shown in the above posts, that hasn't stopped people from designing "Linden Dollars". If you search the Marketplace for "Linden Dollar", you'll get over 500 search results.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

Oooohhhh, i always thought crypto was non federal virtual money

There are only a few actual real cryptocurrencies; a mere handful that involve cryptography.  Many of the token craze over the last year or so are ERC20 tokens and are minted on the Ethereum blockchain but they are not cryptos nor mined, although the media lumps them altogether as the word "crypto".  But minted tokens aka digital currencies are not cryptos because they don't involve cryptography (which you can look up in a dictionary or a quick google) what cryptography is.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

There are only a few actual real cryptocurrencies; a mere handful that involve cryptography.  Many of the token craze over the last year or so are ERC20 tokens and are minted on the Ethereum blockchain but they are not cryptos nor mined, although the media lumps them altogether as the word "crypto".  But minted tokens aka digital currencies are not cryptos because they don't involve cryptography (which you can look up in a dictionary or a quick google) what cryptography is.   

What are the key components of blockchain technology?

Blockchain architecture has the following main components:

<snip>

Public key cryptography

Public key cryptography is a security feature to uniquely identify participants in the blockchain network. This mechanism generates two sets of keys for network members. One key is a public key that is common to everyone in the network. The other is a private key that is unique to every member. The private and public keys work together to unlock the data in the ledger. 

For example, John and Jill are two members of the network. John records a transaction that is encrypted with his private key. Jill can decrypt it with her public key. This way, Jill is confident that John made the transaction. Jill's public key wouldn't have worked if John's private key had been tampered with.

Ref: AWS What is Blockchain

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

What are the key components of blockchain technology?

Blockchain architecture has the following main components:

<snip>

Public key cryptography

Public key cryptography is a security feature to uniquely identify participants in the blockchain network. This mechanism generates two sets of keys for network members. One key is a public key that is common to everyone in the network. The other is a private key that is unique to every member. The private and public keys work together to unlock the data in the ledger. 

For example, John and Jill are two members of the network. John records a transaction that is encrypted with his private key. Jill can decrypt it with her public key. This way, Jill is confident that John made the transaction. Jill's public key wouldn't have worked if John's private key had been tampered with.

Ref: AWS What is Blockchain

I believe, without looking it up, that cryptography would mean a written secret.   This "written secret" has made Bitcoin and a few other crypto-centric blockchains virtually un-hackable.  Many other blockchains have been hacked and not only once, many times.  

From what I've read about Tilia it's code is considered quite superb.  Tilia could be safer than the non-encryption types of blockchains.  

As to what the Linden virtual currency looks like, they never made a picture that I remember.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.