37 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

knowing full well that the same person had seen the same outfit a few times before but expressed no interest.

I never have the same look twice so there's that.

40 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Peeve: That women can complain they have to cringe and say thanks instead of delivering a feminist speech when they're complimented, because they're sick of hearing it all the time.

I've been wearing the same style of watch for 15 years 'cause I remember that one time someone said nice watch.

I don't cringe at all when I get a compliment nor do I try to read anything into one.  I ALWAYS give a sincere Thank you very much.  Initially.  Now, if it then goes into the weeds with describing certain features in detail and what they would look good doing?  Gonna cringe.  

• Like 3

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

I never have the same look twice so there's that.

Yes, I suspected that when I looked at your Flickr. As I said, the head/hair/body shape can have a lot of bearing on whether an outfit is attractive or compliment worthy to others or not.

Alright, beyond time to take it elsewhere.

Absolutely beyond.

It is also absolutely beyond time for some here to start ignoring the usual suspects - the concern trolls, those who have to insert politics into everything they post, those who wish to perpetuate toxic ideologies (of all stripes) ... The list goes on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Peeve: And yet another page or so about why I don't socialize much in SL.
Sometimes in a discussion a man is a moron because he never compliments or notices something new like a dress, hair, skin or whatever.
Sometimes in a discussion (this time) a man is a moron if he does compliment.

:D

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In olden days, a glimpse of stocking . . .

Kind of my whole peeve with skimpy clothing.    If you see it ALL, all the time, it's boring/repetitive.

And with that, I'll step back and let the rest of you have a peeve.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Sometimes in a discussion a man is a moron because he never compliments or notices something new like a dress, hair, skin or whatever.
Sometimes in adiscussion (this time) a man is a moron if he does compliment.

Perhaps Oscar Wilde was right: "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative".  Or maybe it was Ralph Waldo Emerson (grossly misquoting here):  "... Consistency is .... a hobgoblin..."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Peeve: And yet another page or so about why I don't socialize much in SL.
Sometimes in a discussion (this time) a man is a moron if he does compliment.

:D

You've brought this up before. Still stinging from past interactions?

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You've brought this up before. Still stinging from past interactions?

Peeve: If nobody would post about what already was brought up before..... the last post of many would have been somewhere in what, 2012?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Or it bears repeating.

Peeve: Eventually, men get used to "being wrong" and making the most intelligent choice (when possible) when interacting with both the "other genders", and with everyone in general.

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

please, I don't want to hear the term 'butthurt' next.

if I hear it, it will be a pet-peeve, so this is a pre-pet peeve...

What in the world are you butthurt about NAOW?!?

You're welcome, since it looked like a "dare".

Of course, I could be wrong. See:

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Eventually, men get used to "being wrong" and making the most intelligent choice (when possible) when interacting with both the "other genders", and with everyone in general.

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The shift in this conversation from a pretty generalized "I prefer the following kinds of compliments," all the way to insupportable generalizations about gender is an interesting one, isn't it?

I wonder how it happened.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

You'll never be able to take a broad statement (compliments rock!) and apply it to every woman (or man). As someone who does approach men, it can take a bit of time to learn what a particular guy likes, which I'm totally okay with. I'll usually toss out a compliment if it actually leads to further discussion (awesome tattoo, who's the artist, what else are you planning to get, etc.). I'm not going to compliment a guy's cute jeans unless I'm looking to score a pair for myself or unless he's rocking something extremely unusual.

I did once date a guy who wore flashing LED bicycle lights powered by a battery pack in his pocket weaved into his club outfits to tease the local cybergoths. Hilariously, it wound up looking so damn good (which was so far from the intention), every single compliment he received about them was warranted IMO.

Minor peeve: I do miss hanging around absolute fashion nutjobs like that. I need to drag my butt into NYC more often.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The shift in this conversation from a pretty generalized "I prefer the following kinds of compliments," all the way to insupportable generalizations about gender is an interesting one, isn't it?

I blame Sid, with his initial reaction to someone else's post.

I tried to challenge him / call him out on in it. TRULY I did!!1!!

I NO LAI!

20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I blame Sid, with his initial reaction to someone else's post.

I tried to challenge him / call him out on in it. TRULY I did!!1!!

I NO LAI!

Sid came to this conversation relatively late, and was responding to the fact that the convo had already taken that turn.

I think more important than pointing fingers is noting the pattern: the shift from a discussion that was actually about nuance of expression, to one that was reductive: "'they' do or need to do this or that."

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've been getting old gachas ready to sell at the Expo, and taking photos of clothing, since the boxes can be a bit confusing.  To do this I had to wear my former biggie avatar.  It feels weird; it's like meeting someone who could be familiar but also could be a stranger.

TLG Lunafae Headdress FF2020.jpg

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Added picture.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I haven't got a clue. 🤔

image.png.6fb7a30fa629f04f0fa514ab2e305262.png

😶

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

It feels weird; it's like meeting someone who could be familiar but also could be a stranger.

haha that happened to me too the other month when I tried on my old system avatar -- it really felt weird.

/me contemplates

I have an evil desire in me to create a bot that randomly compliments people, using image to text to decipher what is visible in the location and based upon the outfit they are wearing.  

evilsc.jpg.7db4e56d832a850201ad7c304ff1b7be.jpg

Mwahahahahaha!

"My goodness, those are lovely shoes!"

It could even do poems.

You are the shoes that I cherish
The ones that are so neat
You are the shoes that I relish
The ones that are so sweet

You are the shoes that spark joy
The ones that make me happy
You are the shoes that I enjoy
The ones that are so snappy

You are the shoes that I praise
The ones that I applaud
You are the shoes that I amaze
The ones that I laud

No one in SL would be safe from my eval!

Peeve: I lack the computer to make it so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sid came to this conversation relatively late, and was responding to the fact that the convo had already taken that turn.

I think more important than pointing fingers is noting the pattern: the shift from a discussion that was actually about nuance of expression, to one that was reductive: "'they' do or need to do this or that."

Ah, the discussion between you, Rowan, and someone else about how they comment on your outfit.

Yep.

yep-yes.gif

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

/me contemplates

I have an evil desire in me to create a bot that randomly compliments people, using image to text to decipher what is visible in the location and based upon the outfit they are wearing.  

My twist on it: if the compliments were "slightly ambiguous", then they could always be interpreted (especially by the insecure) as sarcasm.

*bot* "Wow, nice shoes!"

Peeve: *them* "But..but..what's wrong with my shoes?" *runs off, blubbering*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

You are the shoes that I cherish
The ones that are so neat
You are the shoes that I relish
The ones that are so sweet

You are the shoes that spark joy
The ones that make me happy
You are the shoes that I enjoy
The ones that are so snappy

You are the shoes that I praise
The ones that I applaud
You are the shoes that I amaze
The ones that I laud

Peeve: "Cruel Shoes" is definitely worth a read or listen.

Written version (not sure if they should have lifted it from his book): https://www.aj.cz/celeb/sm3/sm3.htm

The title story From "Cruel Shoes", by Steve Martin

Anna knew She had to have a new pair of shoes today, and Carlo had helped her try on every pair in the store. Carlo spoke wearily, "Well, that's it. That’s every pair of shoes in the place."
"Oh, you must have one more pair. . . .”  
"No, not one more . . . . Well, we have the cruel shoes, but no one would want to try . . .  
“Yes, let me see the cruel shoes!"  
"No, you don't understand, you see, the cruel shoes are . . .'  
"Get them!"  
Carlo disappeared into the back room for a moment, and then reappeared carrying an ordi­nary shoebox. He took off the lid and re­moved a hideous pair of black and white pumps. But this was not an ordinary pair of black and white pumps; both were left feet, one had a right angle turn with sepa­rate compartments that pointed the toes in impossible directions. The other shoe was six inches long and was curved inward like a rocking chair with a vise and razor blades to hold the foot in place.  
Carlo spoke hesitantly, ". . . Now you see . . . they' re not fit for humans . . ." "Put them on me."  
"But... "Put them on me!"  
Carlo knew all arguments were useless. He knelt down before her and forced the feet into the shoes.  
The screams were incredible.  
Anna crawled over to the mirror and held her bloody feet up where she could see.  
"I like them."  
She paid Carlo and crawled out of the store into the street.  
Later that day, Carlo was overheard saying to a new customer, "Well, that's it. That’s every pair of shoes in the place. Unless, of course, you'd like to try the cruel shoes."

• Like 1