10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

@Seicher Rae and @Bagnu -- the assumption that you both seem to be making is that this is an RP group. That people join when they want to "pretend" that women are inferior to men, and should be treated like dirt.

Where do you see any mention of RP in this group description? There's not even any explicit mention of SLex here. Nor any suggestion that it is not a group for who don't just actually believe that women are sh*t who merit abuse?

Um, sorry to tell you this Scyll, but in the kink world, RP is not mentioned. That would destroy the entire turn on of it. To both the women and the men. I know Caitlin wouldn't come anywhere near a group that openly stated that it was just RP. Neither would I. I'm a switch. I don't want to be dominated by a woman or man who openly admits it's all pretend. Or dominate someone who says, "oh yeah, we're just pretending". No thanks to either scenario. It has to feel as real as possible for the turnon to be effective. 

47 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Um, sorry to tell you this Scyll, but in the kink world, RP is not mentioned. That would destroy the entire turn on of it. To both the women and the men. I know Caitlin wouldn't come anywhere near a group that openly stated that it was just RP. Neither would I. I'm a switch. I don't want to be dominated by a woman or man who openly admits it's all pretend. Or dominate someone who says, "oh yeah, we're just pretending". No thanks to either scenario. It has to feel as real as possible for the turnon to be effective. 

While there are a number of points and clarifications I could make in response to this, Sandor, we've been asked not to continue this discussion, at least on this thread, so I'm going to refrain from replying.

ETA: Suffice it to say that the term "RP" was probably not well-chosen by me. It is, however, complicated.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's been a bit of a wild day on this thread so we better be good and not talk about 1st life or something that's not a pet peeve. You could start a thread on these 2 topics though, related to these issues in 2nd life, and I'd likely participate there.

Pet Peeve:  I don't believe I've seen you start a thread yet.

In the back of the mole paddy wagon, I can help unpeeve you just a little by saying I started 2 topics already. I'll find some way to relate those new topics to SL while I wiggle out of these mole handcuffs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cirleen said:
8 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I blame all this today on the full moon...a special full moon..a super blue full moon.

Yes, the peeve thread is a peeve today.

This is so funny, the peeve thread is a peeve. Super blue? I wish. Here it was pale yellow on a pale gray sky. It made me wonder why so many sims I visited lately have shades of gray in the sky. Maybe they're advertising the book.

Pet Peeve:  She died not long ago.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Feels like Saturday, it's only Thursday.

I know!! This is made worse by the fact that I am waiting for Starfield to be released tomorrow and that it is being released on a work day, and I don't have the day off. So I am definitely peeved that it is not Saturday.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

"people" are getting dangerously close to having a discussion in the General Discussion Forum and we can't have that now can we?" def a peeve

👍

PEEVE
I don't see the sense in limiting what can be discussed in a General Discussion thread. As long as a thread satisfies its topic, and posts don't break the rules, it's nonsense to insist that each part doesn't evolve into other discussions in this General Discussion sub-forum.

That's my peeve. This thread doesn't have a specific topic, so leave it alone to evolve naturally. It's open-ended, so brand new peeves slot perfectly on the end to generate new discussions. There is never a need for new peeves to blend in with the current discussion. That's the nature of this thread. I doesn't need to be nudged back to its topic, because there isn't one. Leave it alone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Feels like Saturday, it's only Thursday.

I kept thinking it was Friday on Tuesday, and now it's Thursday, I feel it's Saturday. I actually have stuck post-it notes all over the place to remind me what day it is.

I blame Bank Holiday Monday and the full moon and Mercury being in retrograde for all this.

Peeve: The planets and weather reminding us we are tiny and insignificant.

• Like 1

Peeve : Lacking the words myself for that which Phil described so eloquently.

ETA : Afaik this forum offers room for many contrary opinions ( SL related ) , but not for mile long one on one debates running off into oblivion.

Edited by Ted McGregor

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

I kept thinking it was Friday on Tuesday, and now it's Thursday, I feel it's Saturday. I actually have stuck post-it notes all over the place to remind me what day it is.

I blame Bank Holiday Monday and the full moon and Mercury being in retrograde for all this.

Peeve: The planets and weather reminding us we are tiny and insignificant.

I think it was when they turned the Hadron Collider back on :/ Last time they did it, 2022 passed by in a month...I also can't believe it is 11.58am, I've already worked a full day today 👎

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pet peeve: Getting into a really interesting discussion in a thread, and having to stop, because it's going wildly off topic LOL!!! Starting a new thread isn't quite the same.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I remember reading that a "Blue Moon" has nothing to do with it's apparent colour but is one where you get TWO full moon's in the SAME month, which happens about once every 4 1/2 years?

Hence the expression "Once in a Blue Moon".

While this is commonly understood today to be the correct interpretation of the term, Traditionally it is incorrect, This idea came from an article in the March 1946 edition od Sky and Telescope, Traditionally a blue moon is the third full moon in a 4 full moon season. Read more about it here,

Blue moon - Wikipedia 

Edited by BillFletcher
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Peeve: 

A dentist in a lovely town where I used to live has been suspended from his job and named in a local newspaper as being accused of s**ually assaulting a young woman.

If he is guilty, he still should not have been named until/unless it was proven.

If he is innocent, this has ruined the man's life/career.

And that's another dentist we are short of.

This happened to me. Accusations were made that a child at a school where I worked had been sexually abused, the parent making the accusation didn't even tell the police, she went to the local TV station who ran with this story. The police found out about it on the news, stepped in and declared the whole thing unfounded, by then the damage was done, I had to find a new town to live in and a new career. So yes this is a pet peeve of mine as well.

• Like 4
  • Sad 8

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

PEEVE
I don't see the sense in limiting what can be discussed in a General Discussion thread. As long as a thread satisfies its topic, and posts don't break the rules, it's nonsense to insist that each part doesn't evolve into other discussions in this General Discussion sub-forum.

There's a concept: "Keep it light". 

I shan't explain, so I can..keep it light.

Peeves, we got 'em!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

This happened to me. Accusations were made that a child at a school where I worked had been sexually abused, the parent making the accusation didn't even tell the police, she went to the local TV station who ran with this story. The police found out about it on the news, stepped in and declared the whole thing unfounded, by then the damage was done, I had to find a new town to live in and a new career. So yes this is a pet peeve of mine as well.

I am sorry that happened to you - that it happens to too many people. 

Famously there was a gentleman here in the UK called Christopher Jefferies. A teacher, who let out part of the property he owned as separate flats to people. One of his tenants, a young woman, was murdered, and simply because he was a little bit "strange" (eccentric), the finger of blame was pointed at him. I remember saying to my partner back then that it was wrong of the newspapers to name him when there was no evidence, and it turned out he was wholly innocent. The treatment of Mr Jefferies had serious consequences for the police and the press at that time, but still it goes on, trial by media.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

I think it was when they turned the Hadron Collider back on :/ Last time they did it, 2022 passed by in a month...I also can't believe it is 11.58am, I've already worked a full day today 👎

Time is not a constant.

It's also very strange that I always know when the supermarket shopping is about to be delivered, because 9 times out of 10 they arrive when the washing machine is on its final spin! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I know what you mean about SOME native speakers being Holier-Than-Thou about grammar, especially in conversational situations. I haven't noticed Americans being worse than other native speakers, but there are more Americans in SL. ETA: In fact the Holier folks that spring immediately to MY mind are all some variant of UK.

For many people, myself included, it is the access to so many people of all languages that is one of the biggest draws of places like SL. 

If you read anything other than "official things written in English should be proofread" then you misread what I was saying.

My mother was told by a German that her English was sloppy. I assume he was not used to a Californian accent,  but even so, complaining about how a native speaker uses their own language is very rude.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

I know!! This is made worse by the fact that I am waiting for Starfield to be released tomorrow and that it is being released on a work day, and I don't have the day off. So I am definitely peeved that it is not Saturday.

Similar peeve. The streamer embargo is up at noon my time today (3 hours), so...much excite on that front and at least I can check it out early, but I'll be playing it on Game Pass, so I won't be able to jump in myself until the 5th! Ahhhh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

My mother was told by a German that her English was sloppy. I assume he was not used to a Californian accent,  but even so, complaining about how a native speaker uses their own language is very rude.

* curses that German to hear all English with upspeak and vocal fry! *

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BillFletcher said:

46 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I am sorry that happened to you - that it happens to too many people. 

Famously there was a gentleman here in the UK called Christopher Jefferies. A teacher, who let out part of the property he owned as separate flats to people. One of his tenants, a young woman, was murdered, and simply because he was a little bit "strange" (eccentric), the finger of blame was pointed at him. I remember saying to my partner back then that it was wrong of the newspapers to name him when there was no evidence, and it turned out he was wholly innocent. The treatment of Mr Jefferies had serious consequences for the police and the press at that time, but still it goes on, trial by media.

Either of you know of Richard Jewel? That one sticks with me every time I think of media justice. They all but murdered a bona fide life saving hero.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Either of you know of Richard Jewel? That one sticks with me every time I think of media justice. They all but murdered a bona fide life saving hero.

Peeve: Because of news coverage, it's hard to remember if "he did it", or "he didn't do it"!

Peeve^2: Misinformation has consequences! Here on the Forums, too!!  About Second Life, even!1!1!!!

• Like 3