1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

And all because I pointed out that there is a difference in approach to compliments between females and males that is learned behavior during childhood.

Sigh.

Disagreeing with something you said, Sid, is not "insulting" you.

If you don't want to be challenged on things that you say, don't post them. Surely I don't need to tell you that?

You're Dutch, right? Suppose I had posted "The Dutch are mostly pretty stingy" -- an actual stereotype about the Dutch.

You'd have simply accepted that I was expressing an opinion and not challenged it?

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

that is learned behavior during childhood

This is NOT what you said initially. And not what I challenged. In fact, I said much the same thing before you did. Here are your first three posts, starting on page 3 of the thread, that directly address compliments and women.

On 7/11/2023 at 4:17 PM, Sid Nagy said:

And then some women wonder why men never notice any changes of their hair, shoes, dresses etc.

On 7/11/2023 at 4:29 PM, Sid Nagy said:

It is all so complicated, women tend to read all kinds of everything out of what one says.

6 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I really think it is a pretty tricky business to give compliments to women, especially about looks. Much harder than complimenting about achievements.

Your first mention of women being "trained" to expect compliments is on page 6, well after our back-and-forth had begun

I'm dropping this. Sigh all you want, Sid.

Forums are built upon the principle of discussion, and the exchange of views. No one should expect that a view that generalizes about other people will go unchallenged. I certainly don't.

If you can't handle someone critiquing your view, and, I'll again underline, taking pains to distinguish between a criticism of that view, and the person articulating it, then honestly I don't know why you're bothering with this place.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If you can't handle someone critiquing your view, and, I'll again underline, taking pains to distinguish between a criticism of that view, and the person articulating it, then honestly I don't know why you're bothering with this place.

Peeve: You could at least ATTEMPT to insult someone properly! 😉 

54 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't know why you're bothering with this place.

I came to the same conclusion.
I'm no longer bothering with this place. It is getting way to toxic here again.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Pet Peeve: supposedly really smart people who cannot stay on topic on any thread. 

This particular thread is an oddball, though. It doesn't really have a topic. Or, rather, it has a very loosely defined topic, "Pet Peeves". It survives because it was given a dispensation by the Lindens, granted grandfather status.  Given the number of times it has wobbled around its non-topic, I suspect that it won't ever be closed down for going "off" topic. On the other hand, it just might get yanked if the discussion gets toxic or gets lost in forbidden topics.  I seem to remember a couple of mod posts about that.

• Like 2

Peeve: Not knowing if "moaning" is the same as "complaining", or just somewhere mild like "being peeved".

I think "moaning" is something I've heard more watching British people on YouTube.

I don't think "moaning" is so intense as to be compared to the Biblical "weeping and gnashing of teeth".

* moans about peeving *

* peeves about moaning * <== This one feels right

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There is a hoo-mon shampoo that was "supposedly" originally based on a "horse shampoo", named, "Main and Tail"!

Shampoo .. Eh, yeah I got some vague memory of half murdering my scalp with that carp, years ago. 

Funny how some decent advertising has gotten our entire species to line up to line the pockets of chemical-pushers to let us strip our bodies of its natural protection, and force it to try harder to produce it, which we then perceive as a need to get more of the chemicals to stamp it out with, day in and day out, poisoning the nature all along the way. Now that is capitalism at its most brutal brilliance.

Peeve: I've yet to invent a useless product to trick the world with and get rich off of. Huffs.

4 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Shampoo .. Eh, yeah I got some vague memory of half murdering my scalp with that carp, years ago. 

Funny how some decent advertising has gotten our entire species to line up to line the pockets of chemical-pushers to let us strip our bodies of its natural protection, and force it to try harder to produce it, which we then perceive as a need to get more of the chemicals to stamp it out with, day in and day out, poisoning the nature all along the way. Now that is capitalism at its most brutal brilliance.

Peeve: I've yet to invent a useless product to trick the world with and get rich off of. Huffs.

You're right of course, but before shampoo, people were tricked into using "pomades" and "hair oils"..!

29 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've used apple cider vinegar, diluted with water, for years instead of shampoo.

Use baking soda before you use the apple cider vinegar and see how you like the results..

Whatever you do, don't use them at the same time.. hehehe

Baking soda is a really good exfoliate for your scalp and also good for your hairs ph  balance.. I love how  my hair feels after using it..

Although like anything, it's best to do a little test of it first, because I'm sure like anything, there are some that may not be able to use it..

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

How about an actual PEEVE, rather than discussions of others' peeve and such:

Someone building a club on the land next to mine and now my security system can barely even keep up with all of the ejecting it is doing these days.  *sigh*

Probably because it's in the general discussions section.

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

John Lydgate

9 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

Lydgate

"You can p*ss off most of the people, most of the time".

- Graves' Corollary

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

"You can p*ss off most of the people, most of the time".

- Graves' Corollary

I'd rather be p1ssed off than p1ssed on

- my brother!

Edited by Marigold Devin
... although no doubt stolen from another source
  • Haha 1

Oh for ....

People, if you're going to leave then do so - skip the dramatics. There is no need to change your title, your avatar nor to make some sort of exit post (of any kind) nor to explain why you're leaving. Especially if you're going to get as upset as it appears some have.

Peeve 1: Overly dramatic exits.

Alternatively, use the tools the forum has here - such as Ignore. You know, that oh so lovely tool that hides a user's posts behind a banner that you willingly have to show in order to read what has been posted? That function that works perfectly fine as is.

Once you've tossed someone into the Ignore filter, they are no longer your problem. At all. Doesn't matter what they say or do either - no need for it to be two-way.

Someone else quotes them? So what - move on.

Peeve 2: People not making use of the tools at their disposal.

• Like 1