Ok so here it is. There has been considerable discussion in another thread over a question I raised about images containing cigarettes. I admit, it is a pet peeve of mine. Probably because my Father died of a heart attack when I was 19, and while there is no way to know for sure, it seems likely that he would have lived longer if he never smoked. He may well have met my wife, attended my wedding, and held my children when they were little. I am sure that images of beautiful people smoking in cigarette ads contributed to him starting smoking and getting addicted. So now such images bother me. I hold to a politically incorrect view of the Confederacy, however I would never use it's imagery either here or in RL out of respect for the feelings of others. To me images of smoking are in the same category.

5 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

Ok so here it is. There has been considerable discussion in another thread over a question I raised about images containing cigarettes. I admit, it is a pet peeve of mine. Probably because my Father died of a heart attack when I was 19, and while there is no way to know for sure, it seems likely that he would have lived longer if he never smoked. He may well have met my wife, attended my wedding, and held my children when they were little. I am sure that images of beautiful people smoking in cigarette ads contributed to him starting smoking and getting addicted. So now such images bother me. I hold to a politically incorrect view of the Confederacy, however I would never use it's imagery either here or in RL out of respect for the feelings of others. To me images of smoking are in the same category.

A friend of mine died in a car crash. So, pictures containing vehicles ought to be banned.

Another friend of mine drowned. All the beach pics must go.

My grandfather died of old age, so obviously we can't have pictures of old people around.

Oh, wait, the world doesn't revolve around me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

I sympathise with your loss and subsequent sensitivity but you might just have to stick it when people post images of smoking.  It is hard to know where to draw the line sometimes.  I'm not bothered by images of smoking, even though my dear grandfather died of lung cancer after a lifetime of smoking.  Granted he had a long life but it's not a nice way to go at all.  I don't like images that mock Christianity or abuse Christian symbols for the sake of being edgy (how banal), but I can't jump on everyone who does it or I'd be doing that all day.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

My mother died earlier than she should have too, probably due to smoking, and so I understand your feelings.

It's an interesting topic, and one that deserves a thread of its own. I'll start one...named "Media Influence, Stereotypes, And RL/SL Comparisons".

Complications and nuance arguments arise due to differences between RL & SL.

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

It's an interesting topic, and one that deserves a thread of its own. I'll start one...named "Media Influence, Stereotypes, And RL/SL Comparisons".

That's an interesting idea.  Don't forget to say 'no politics' at the beginning or the topic won't last the week. :/ 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

Though not a pet peeve there is a bit of a head shake when I see the idea that many have that if only they had just hid the adverts, hid the booze, not run with those druggie teens, etc etc that so and so wouldn't have turned out the way they did. After my own time with all those things and having listened to the shares of thousands of personal testimonies of former addicts, alcoholics and the like, there really has been none that attributed their addictions to any one particular thing that they were not predisposed to long before that first drink, smoke, drug, comfort food, sex, etc. The nature of addictions in all of its forms is the use and eventual abuse of some external stimuli that for some moment of time, gives the potential addict a brief respite from the inner turmoil raging within. I have even heard some describe that it was the smoke, drink, drug that carried them during times when suicide or homicide seemed like a viable option. 

The eventual drug of choice in many cases is just a matter chance and circumstance. I would agree that the older one is before starting will have some bearing as to how much they will lose control of it but at the end of the day, the particular addiction one takes on is interchangeable. No amount of prohibition of those things that might be addictive will keep one from eventually finding something to become addicted to because it isn't the drink or drug that is the problem but the addictive nature. The drug of choice is but a symptom of the real problem inside and not having learned how to deal with those without a mind or mood altering substance.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Orwar said:

A friend of mine died in a car crash. So, pictures containing vehicles ought to be banned.

Another friend of mine drowned. All the beach pics must go.

My grandfather died of old age, so obviously we can't have pictures of old people around.

Oh, wait, the world doesn't revolve around me.

And which multi billion dollar industry used deceptive advertising to lure people into using it's products and contributed to those deaths? Let me know and I will avoid such images.

Seems like.someone is dying for a new thread to berate people for their position and beat them to death with inane questions about that position.  

No more pictures of chubby avatars either because obesity is very unhealthy.  Only healthy food will be sold in SL.  All new vehicles in SL must have working seatbelts and all motorcycle and bicycle riders must be wearing a helmet.  Are you wearing a condom and practicing safe sex?  I mean, do you really know who that other avatar has been with?

What ever happened to personal responsibility?   Grow up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

My mother died earlier than she should have too, probably due to smoking, and so I understand your feelings.

Please don't

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

And which multi billion dollar industry used deceptive advertising to lure people into using it's products and contributed to those deaths? Let me know and I will avoid such images.

My ex husband had a horrible addiction to marijuana that ultimately ended our marriage. I guess that's ok though that I have to look at it and see it glorified all over because it's legal in many states??? Get a grip.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
Spelled a word wrong..not that it matters as all these post will probably be deleted

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Though not a pet peeve there is a bit of a head shake when I see the idea that many have that if only they had just hid the adverts, hid the booze, not run with those druggie teens, etc etc that so and so wouldn't have turned out the way they did. After my own time with all those things and having listened to the shares of thousands of personal testimonies of former addicts, alcoholics and the like, there really has been none that attributed their addictions to any one particular thing that they were not predisposed to long before that first drink, smoke, drug, comfort food, sex, etc. The nature of addictions in all of its forms is the use and eventual abuse of some external stimuli that for some moment of time, gives the potential addict a brief respite from the inner turmoil raging within. I have even heard some describe that it was the smoke, drink, drug that carried them during times when suicide or homicide seemed like a viable option. 

The eventual drug of choice in many cases is just a matter chance and circumstance. I would agree that the older one is before starting will have some bearing as to how much they will lose control of it but at the end of the day, the particular addiction one takes on is interchangeable. No amount of prohibition of those things that might be addictive will keep one from eventually finding something to become addicted to because it isn't the drink or drug that is the problem but the addictive nature. The drug of choice is but a symptom of the real problem inside and not having learned how to deal with those without a mind or mood altering substance.

Yes, you  bring up good arguments. But we do need to protect children from harm as they are much more easily influenced. They can become addicted even when not having this "addictive nature" you mention.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

I mean. The car industry, the tourism industry, and the pension companies?

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

but you might just have to stick it when people post images of smoking.

Oh I know my comments here won't change the world, but the world does change gradually as people speak up about things they believe.

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, you  bring up good arguments. But we do need to protect children from harm as they are much more easily influenced. They can become addicted even when not having this "addictive nature" you mention.

Not really. The addictive substance will have no hold on someone who does not have an addictive personality.

Overprotection of children make for young adults incapable of dealing with the temptations that are an everyday part of life. Rather then hiding them from it, show the results of the abuses and why people become addicted to them in the first place....if you know what those are yourself.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Not really. The addictive substance will have no hold on someone who does not have an addictive personality.

Overprotection of children make for young adults incapable of dealing with the temptations that are an everyday part of life. Rather then hiding them from it, show the results of the abuses and why people become addicted to them in the first place....if you know what those are yourself.

I'm afraid experiments have revealed this is not the case -- influence on a young mind can lead to destructive behavior even when that young person is not mentally challenged via an "addictive personality". Simply viewing people smoking on TV made it look cool, and so they were encouraged to try it and ended up addicted (that's why they've removed the marketing specifically geared to young people with cartoon characters and the like on packages).

There are many instances where a perfectly healthy young person was given opioids for an injury and ended up with an addicted, ruined life. While this is not related to media influence specifically it does demonstrate that it doesn't take any kind of "addictive personality" to become an addict.

Yet they continue to allow alcohol advertising and allow drinking in most outdoor sports venues but not smoking.  I could smoke an entire pack of cigarettes at a football game, get in my car and drive home, no problem. The person next to me who has been drinking the entire game not so much.  Wouldn't it make more sense to not sell alcohol or advertise it?   The second hand smoke probably doesn't have as dangerous effect in the short term as.that drunk driver.  

How many drunk driving accidents does it take before they'll abolish those ads?  It's been 50 years since they got rid of cigarette ads.  That means an entire generation or so has started smoking without any advertising whatsoever.  I rarely even see smoking on TV but a lot of drinking.  Is it that drinking is more socially acceptable?  Is the alcohol lobby larger and better funded?  Would banning alcohol ads keep young people from picking up that first drink?  It hasn't worked for cigarettes.

Almost six million people die from tobacco use and 2.5 million from harmful use of alcohol each year worldwide, the World Health Organization (WHO) reports.

I wonder if that 2.5 million alcohol deaths include those killed by that drunk driver.  Probably not or the number would be much higher.  

It seems people are always looking for an excuse, a scapegoat to explain why they do something.   THE TWINKIE MADE ME DO IT!

• Like 3

I've no idea why this subject is causing so much contention.

At the end of the day, it's well accepted that there are many Socio-Cultural influences on behaviour, and there's no doubt that marketing and social media firms have made a good living for decades by subtly (and not so subtly) leveraging those influences.

Is product placement (branded or otherwise) within digital imagery a tried and tested influencing mechanism? The answer is of course YES!

The degree of influence is contingent on lots of different things, including factors such as:

• Is the "influencer" perceived as worthy of emulation?
  • What is the volume and relative suggestibility of the target audience?

Self delusion aside, I think we can agree that any "influence" coming from these forums is localised to a tiny demographic which has already made its behavioural bed and been lying in it for quite a few years 😀

Do what you want to do, nobody outside these forums cares - and that's a good thing!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm afraid experiments have revealed this is not the case -- influence on a young mind can lead to destructive behavior even when that young person is not mentally challenged via an "addictive personality". Simply viewing people smoking on TV made it look cool, and so they were encouraged to try it and ended up addicted (that's why they've removed the marketing specifically geared to young people with cartoon characters and the like on packages).

There are many instances where a perfectly healthy young person was given opioids for an injury and ended up with an addicted, ruined life. While this is not related to media influence specifically it does demonstrate that it doesn't take any kind of "addictive personality" to become an addict.

Your argument falls flat right there. The "cool kids" are the trendsetters who defined what was cool rather than having it defined for them by what was on TV.  I have met plenty of people over the years who are known as "social smokers". They buy a pack of cigs on a night out, enjoy a few over the evening and toss them out at the end of the evening. No addiction making them claw for a cig first thing in the morning. Why not?

Who defines what constitutes "perfectly healthy," assuming you mean that in a mental/emotional/spiritual context rather then physical. See, the yardstick being used may well be and likely is dysfunctional to begin with if it is correlated with what is considered social norms in any given time.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
selling spelling