Map Privacy & Appear Offline - Would You Like This Feature?

Paulsian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Um.... no.  Does this happen around you in RL too?  Does it bother you that your RL neighbors can often tell whether you are at home?

I can see if you have a totally "Smart Home." Where everything in there from the commode to your kitchen reporting to the mother ships. Couple years ago we got an Echo thingy for Boxing Day and it was promptly donated. I can't picture one being used to control your actions in SL! :D

13 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

pri·vate

(of a place) quiet and free from people who can interrupt:

Currently because there is no map privacy, private homes are not completely private are they? 

1.png

I think that you've made too many mesh windows you think people are now looking into them. I'd explore that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I can see if you have a totally "Smart Home." Where everything in there from the commode to your kitchen reporting to the mother ships. Couple years ago we got an Echo thingy for Boxing Day and it was promptly donated. I can't picture one being used to control your actions in SL! :D

lol I don't like things listening for me either, I know people who enjoy them I don't fault them for that. I don't even like all the new technology in vehicles. I like basic, I have a gps think in my truck that takes up half my radio I have tried everything to get it back to full screen, goof that while updating time. Would think vehicles would auto update time changes or ask? (i'm going to sneek some vr stuff in since you said that) the pro met* thing people put on their heads in the near future will scan real life home rooms with cameras I saw them build virtual rooms based on our personal spaces it scans and builds and likely looks for products we use and don't use.) that scares me. No only do they want to scan our faces now they want to scan our spaces.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I think that you've made too many mesh windows you think people are now looking into them. I'd explore that.

that's deep. wispers message me if you would like some free samples I can message them to you (let me know which ones). That's a project that will keep me busy for a very long time. Extremly tedious. 

1 hour ago, Paulsian said:

In real life if I go to for a walk and then entire world can watch  my location on a map I would have a problem with that too. I get what your saying because i'm in public makes me public property. 

Why do you think anyone of us actually cares where you go or what you do when in SL? I’m not being rude, do you honestly think your neighbours or anyone here surfs the grid to find where you are? 
unless you gave your contacts the ability to see you on the map, anyone else who encounters you during your “walks” is random. You can set your parcel to have nobody look at you if you want and even if they try to zoom in they won’t see you at home.

Edited by Krystina Ferraris
Typos
  • Like 4

@Paulsianare you asking to have all the god powers that Lindens and Moles have?  i bet they are not instantly given those powers on day 1 of employment because of all the ways those powers could be misused.  You might really need to consider a private region just for you.  You would be given powers that only region owners get.  You can eject and ban every existing SL resident with a simple keystroke.  

As far as I know you can't hide your entire region from the map though and your green dot will still show.  No one would know who the green dot is and no one has access but you.  That is all the privacy you are given.  SL is a public space, with tools.  Go take that safety class that Animats mentioned instead of asking to give griefers more power to grief.  No one is griefing you by simply existing inworld at the same time you are

/me hollers "Activate privacy mode!" as sparkles erupt from an old bling ring on her finger. 

She presses the red X and logs out...

No more green dot on the map.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

I don't like things listening for me either

People actually can own things that listen at a distance in RL.  They could be listening to you now.  There are also thermal imaging devices that will show where you are in your home.  I'd be more concerned with those than anyone seeing your cartoon in SL.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 5

On 10/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, Blaise Glendevon said:

I could not possibly care less about this, and would be somewhere on a spectrum of annoyed-to-angry if the already stretched Linden coding team invested time in this instead of actual improvements. 

For some of us, with different perspectives, this would be the big, actual improvement. Maybe the biggest. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

are you asking to have all the god powers that Lindens and Moles have?

Just equal industry standard privacy features they currently use. Sometimes I don't want to be bothered while working in world, suddenly i'm supreme parno afraid of termal imaging with serious grammar issues. 

I'm the last person that would open the grief troll flood gates on the world. This may close several of those gates. With careful development. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paulsian said:

Sometimes I don't want to be bothered while working in world

Just curious how many people are bothering you when you are working in world? 1, 2? 10 or 100?

You can turn on "only friends and groups an IM me" and then put an auto response on that you are busy or better yet put yourself as unavailable. 

In four years I have only had less than a handful of people I don't know actually IM me from finding me on the mini map.

• Unavailable (Busy): The following are the results with this enabled.
    • New incoming group chats are disabled; missed messages will not be shown afterwards.
    • Existing group chats (the ones already open in the Conversations window) will continue normally.
    • Group notices are hidden until unavailable mode is disabled; they will all be shown afterwards.
    • Notifications are not shown
    • Voice calls are rejected
    • Inventory offers from objects are rejected, so use with caution.
    • Inventory offers from avatars are automatically accepted.
    • TP offers are rejected and will not be shown to you later.
    • Toasts for both group and individual IMs are not shown.
    • Chiclets are shown.
    • Individual IMs are still shown in the Conversations window. Other users will received your “Unavailable” autoresponse as set in your preferences.
  • Auto-respond
  • Autorespond to non-friends
  • Reject teleport offers and requests
  • Reject all group invites
  • Reject all friendship requests
  • Like 2

On 10/14/2022 at 3:44 PM, Paulsian said:

I've seen the linden elites using the map privacy feature to hide their dot from the world map and was wondering if this is a feature other users might like to have as well.

I kind of feel strange when I travel around because I always feel like i'm on someone elses map like I have a tracking device on me.

Wonders why we do not have that feature yet. 

Pros & Cons?

I'll start with a Pro and a Con

Pro - Privacy - Not knowing who is online and near by would be more organic, less claustrophobic experience.

Con - May mess up avatar trackers others use, like for traffic.  

Okay but I mean how would one know if a sim is full, if that is all hidden? Number 2 those dots just say people who are there, it doesn't really give info on who is there or what they are doing. So I don't see it necessary to have a feature like that. I mean if we had that feature, everyone would turn it off and well maps would be worthless to tell if a sim is full or to gauge how many people are there. You are acting like these are cameras and the NSA is watching over you. Lol. So that is a hard no from me bud. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Have you considered that multi-user worlds might not be for you, then?

please,  and don't talk to me like I'm new, I've been in SL for a long *****ing time.  I hate when people say "well have you considered this might not be for you" line. Freaking pathetic  It's feature most online media has, you can hide, block and disappear from some and not others if you want or maybe you just want to log in one night and not be bothered. Telling people to stop doesn't work for everyone and the block feature doesn't' work for people who aggressively create accounts for hours on end or have found you offline or know how to circumvent the limited options already in SL and there's no protection from the lindens no matter how many abuse reports you file, even when people violate rules that would get banned in any other place but SL. I'm not going to explain it to you. It's a feature I'd like though. What's it matter to you? Maybe it would keep you from stalking whoever you stalk ? 

Besides people can do whatever they want in SL with their time. This isn't and MMO where you have to group up to all take on anything. Are you saying you make the rules up and I can't enjoy SL  alone on occasion if I want? Sometimes it's fun to log in and just do things alone, focus on a project or whatever, I know a lot of people who are the same way.

Edited by Madeline Mysterious
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.