No interest in a Mobile SL client, but a new multi-monitor

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Coffee Pancakelist seems to cover what is feasible for a cellphone client. (see The Mobile Client I actually want)

However, I want to make it clear that not everyone in the world is a cellphone user.  I am not.

What I want is an SL viewer that allows me to move things (HUDs, menus, etc) to several monitors, so I can keep the central monitor clear of clutter.  Something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-monitor#/media/File:Oto_godfrey-multi_screen_studio.jpg

Edited by Anna Nova
  • Like 3

• Anna Nova changed the title to No interest in a Mobile SL client, but a new multi-monitor
23 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Did you miss that it was an April Fool's joke?

The joke was it actually worked. Certainly not glitch free, but it did work. Was more a concept build then. I suspect it would be a lot more viable now.

• Like 1

It would be so nice if you can move the chat window out of the secondlife screen to other display. It always blocks part of the world. And my feeling for long time is that that window open not helps by make the world move more smooth.

Same with inventory and edit window. If you have that open combined with chat window there's not much screen space left to build.

• Like 1

The great idea of being able to move floaters out of the viewer window has been mentioned and asked for many times in the past. When I want it for writing scripts, I do it a different way. I stretch the viewer window over 2 monitors, place the script floaters on the left monitor and the object I'm working on on the right monitor. It's far from ideal but it's a helluva lot better than fitting it all on one monitor. Using an external editor for the scripts, and placing that on a separate monitor also works for that purpose.

Stretching the viewer across monitors can be used to park other floaters on a separate monitor too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

What I want is an SL viewer that allows me to move things (HUDs, menus, etc) to several monitors, so I can keep the central monitor clear of clutter.  Something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-monitor#/media/File:Oto_godfrey-multi_screen_studio.jpg

I would totally back that.  When I am managing a session in Zoom, for example, I love being able to move the Participants List and Chat to another monitor so I can keep an eye on them without blocking the main screen.

• Like 2

For sailing, too! Kicking the minimap and the world map off the skipper's screen would be fabulous, and could be made big enough to read at a glance. Screen space is so precious in a visually critical application like SL. I used to log my alt in as a crew member on another laptop I'd been nursing into old age and that worked very well. Sadly, that laptop did die and is uneconomical to repair. Maybe I can source a secondhand laptop that would do the job, but you never really know what you're getting. On the other hand, I can buy a brand new 23/24 inch full HD monitor for around £100 in the UK. Either way, firstly, I'm waiting to see how the household budget holds up over this winter!

This sort of feature has been called for, for a very long time it seems. Does it help or hinder if we all put in feature requests?

• Like 3

I want one of those UI that turn transparent when not in use, like some RPG games.  And a more compact version of the build window.   I cant even imagine how one could chat and build on a phone screen, being as short sighted as I am, I would have to tape the phone to my head, VR style, and click with my nose.

• Like 1

Fired up my laptop with a 14 inch 1080. Sure; I miss my beast of a desktop with all its bells and whistles, but am away from that at present. SL works surprisingly well on a laptop with a new-ish i5 even with integrated graphics. Need  a mouse, of course, but no problems with anything, HUDs and all, taking up my screen in FS.  Mid to high. Sometimes methinks we demand too much :)

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 8:07 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

they released the code for it, for others to try and work with, you fully must of not of read everything about it.

I read the page you linked but there was nothing there about it being an actual thing. I did google search after another poster mentioned there was actual code and then found and installed it to try it out. It is a bit of a wonder that the Firestorm team or anyone else did not take it further as I found it reasonably usable in spite of being a pre bento version.

c40d48c85b29d21392031aa969ed4483.jpg

It has some quirks but usable nonetheless especially if it was updated to allow newer video cards, Windows as well as the newer network protocols.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
reposting image
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.