If you use an avatar of a gender you are not, are you good at portraying that gender?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I've gone back and forth so many times now on stating it my profile, but I've once again taken it explicitly out of my profile.

I'll tell a guy is he asks, avoid flirting with anyone whose profile specifically says they are looking for RL cis-female interactions (and some of those border on extreme homophobia, btw), and absolutely tell anyone who is showing more than a flirty interest in Kat about the person who is behind the keyboard ... but I love being treated as I want in SL as Kat, so those two or three lines of text are now not in my profile. Again.

i dont care who is behind the avatar. 

• Like 3

Using a non-gendered avatar has been a great experience, I feel people are more open and focused on the conversation.  And no one asks what gender I am.

The few times I use my human avatar it´s very different, maybe its the places I hang out at, but it feels people are more confrontational and less prone to small talk.

• Like 4

Assume everyone in the adult zones is a guy and 99% of the time you will be right . For me the only difference is some are  exploring gender with genuine heartfelt reason whilst others are just messing about having fun .

Good luck to both because as i see it lots of inner demons are vanquished with the realization that the vast majority don't really care about your sexuality one way or another .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had created an account for my RL partner & he visited SL once & decided SL wasn’t for him.  I began using that male avatar-account to double my chances in costume contests & sploders  back in the day.  I rarely interacted in local on the manitar avi.  But one day someone slid into his IMs, letting “him” know that he could do so much better than Pixie & did he want to leave & go “chat” somewhere.  I don’t remember what I replied, if anything- but I guess that’s a good testament to my ability to do absolutely nothing but log in a male alt convincingly.  🤷‍♀️ 🤨😂

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

I had created an account for my RL partner & he visited SL once & decided SL wasn’t for him.  I began using that male avatar-account to double my chances in costume contests & sploders  back in the day.  I rarely interacted in local on the manitar avi.  But one day someone slid into his IMs, letting “him” know that he could do so much better than Pixie & did he want to leave & go “chat” somewhere.  I don’t remember what I replied, if anything- but I guess that’s a good testament to my ability to do absolutely nothing but log in a male alt convincingly.  🤷‍♀️ 🤨😂

Oh my! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

So if someone is male rl but identifies as female rl and she's in sl as a female avatar is it the same question?

I'd say no - it doesn't fit the original question "If you use an avatar of a gender you are not..." 

She would be using an avatar that matches her RL gender (but not necessarily her RL sex).

However, there are people who don't believe in gender identity and are unable to separate gender from sex - those people would disagree with me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I'd say no - it doesn't fit the original question "If you use an avatar of a gender you are not..." 

She would be using an avatar that matches her RL gender (but not necessarily her RL sex).

However, there are people who don't believe in gender identity and are unable to separate gender from sex - those people would disagree with me. 

I agree wholeheartedly!

• Like 2

I do have a male alt which is both a different gender and a different sex than I am in real life.  I am very uncomfortable playing as him in public locations.  I have no idea if I am any good at it because he has never been asked one way or another what his driver is. Ever.  In fact, I don't think my female avatars have ever been asked to prove themselves either.  If anyone ever does ask, I will tell them once in text then ignore every other request for proof.  I have nothing to prove and even less to defend.  I play all my avatars as "just me" in different moods.

• Like 1

Almost everyone I meet inworld mentions my discord tag when they meet me. I put it on there so I could arrange to meet people while offline for events. I do explore while on a voice call with friends because it's easier to navigate. It breaks the immersion though because I can't hear the music or sound effects (my computer doesn't have a mic). I think it's sad that in a world where you can be anything, you can't be the opposite gender 😥. For many men, it really is their ultimate fantasy. Just leave them be I say, and for those who are looking for an rl partner in sl.....just leave them alone and stop villifying people you don't know just because they don't conform to your views. This whole thread makes me sad. 

Edited by SorachaNicEoghain
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

Speakers?

My headphones are Bluetooth and attach to my phone. They also block sound. They're the only mic I have and I can't connect them to the computer. Honestly I'm too lazy to figure out another way. I kinda prefer typing for immersion but i go back and forth, especially if the person I'm talking to can't type well. 🙊

37 minutes ago, SorachaNicEoghain said:

Almost everyone I meet inworld mentions my discord tag when they meet me. I put it on there so I could arrange to meet people while offline for events. I do explore while on a voice call with friends because it's easier to navigate. It breaks the immersion though because I can't hear the music or sound effects (my computer doesn't have a mic). I think it's sad that in a world where you can be anything, you can't be the opposite gender 😥. For many men, it really is their ultimate fantasy. Just leave them be I say, and for those who are looking for an rl partner in sl.....just leave them alone and stop villifying people you don't know just because they don't conform to your views. This whole thread makes me sad. 

The thread isn't about vilifying people who use avatars of the opposite sex.  Not at all.  It's asking if you think you do it well if you do play the opposite.

Personally, I've never made a male avatar but I'm sure I could play it pretty well.  I won't bother though since men just don't have as many hair options as women and I LOVE hair.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The thread isn't about vilifying people who use avatars of the opposite sex.  Not at all.  It's asking if you think you do it well if you do play the opposite.

Personally, I've never made a male avatar but I'm sure I could play it pretty well.  I won't bother though since men just don't have as many hair options as women and I LOVE hair.

Honestly, I don't know where people get the time and money to have multiple avatars either lol. I didn't mean the title of the thread though, just many of the comments that came after. I don't know. I guess I'm just not in sl for that. Even if I was friends with someone in SL and found out later they were really a man, it just wouldn't make a difference to me. Romance on the other hand....i dunno. I'm not in SL for romance. It's a hobby and social outlet for me. 

4 minutes ago, Edohandsome said:

@SorachaNicEoghaincat fishing gold digger yuck..

edo know some straight guy have lesbian fantasy ..

edo doesn't care what avatar they use, edo only cares who is behind the avatar, edo wants women.

I'm not sure whether you're calling ME a catfishing gold digger, or just saying that in general 🤣. Where did you pull that from? 😂

Yeah lots of guys have a lesbian fantasy and they use SL to explore their sexuality. I can't see the harm in it unless you use SL as an RL dating site. You should put it in your profile that SL is an extension of your RL so ❤

9 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

That has pretty much been my prevailing thought through the course of this thread as well. Well said!

• Like 3

I think most people take us as they see us in SL and fill in what they want to believe. Wanting to believe is stronger than any other inconsistencies in how we act.

I've only once gone exploring in a male avie I made as a model for a friend's shop. He wasn't particularly manly, and didn't say much, but quite quickly a girl latched on to me and told me all about herself, including that she was a model in rl.

image.jpeg.4190a8f390b508ef6355bd6d8134c1ba.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.