If you use an avatar of a gender you are not, are you good at portraying that gender?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm with Akane , having lost it i know the will to believe is the key to SL , its the magic that makes it work . Without it nothing really matters least of all rl gender .

Government forms used to ask "Sex" and i would always write "yes please" never once was i asked to correct it .

Edited by cunomar
  • Haha 1

Decided to come out of lurkdom and reply to this thread as it is one of my favorite topics about SL and the reason I joined.  Years ago I found out my RL husband was using a female avatar on SL so I wanted to learn more about why people did this. I am a female in RL but did joke about joining so I could practice being more feminine.

For the first year or so we hung out together, both as females, and people would assume that I was a male in RL and he was the female - we told people we met that we were married in RL.  Well, we told people we were married in RL after some drama with a friend finding out when we hadn't told her at first.  As I got more comfortable in SL I went out on my own more and met various people and enjoyed chatting with the girls who mentioned in their profile they were guys in RL.

I met a guy who played mostly as a female in SL and he admitted to wanting to meet a girl to play a guy so they could RP together.  So, I decided to try gender swapping as well.  To my confusion no one ever doubted my RL sex when I was presenting as a guy in SL, but I got doubted all the time when I use a female avatar.  I wonder if it was because guys with female avatars are more common than girls with male avatars.  Or do I naturally act more like a guy?! 

One of the reasons I suspected guys might like to use female avatars is because it is more acceptable in RL for females to dress and act like guys, but still not very well accepted for males to act and dress like girls. In SL they can get in touch with and act out that side of themselves.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

Perhaps it's another language for "wakarimasen?"

Ironically, I have many Japanese dictionaries but had to look that up!

So, something like "Kangaroo!" A word that meant "I don't understand", which came to be used as a name. (Aboriginal Australian obviously, and not Japanese.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ironically, I have many Japanese dictionaries but had to look that up!

So, something like "Kangaroo!" A word that meant "I don't understand", which came to be used as a name. (Aboriginal Australian obviously, and not Japanese.)

So many people bought the applier or BOM tattoo that is "soup" in Japanese and don't realize it. On the flip side, someone in Japan got a BOM/applier for "sandwich" or something..?

1 minute ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

edo not going to be happy to know that sometimes you can't tell.

edo also going to to be unhappy to know that some people who play female avatars lie.

kat wishes edo good luck.

I think in some post (possibly a different thread?) Edo said, "Edo voice verified".   (As if that will prove anything.)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think in some post (possibly a different thread?) Edo said, "Edo voice verified".   (As if that will prove anything.)

I'd love to know the % of people who will hop on voice with strangers just to voice verify.   I'd also love to know the % of those that do who get their female friend to do the verification.   Unless the person actually 'shows' you they are a female, how does one really know?  I've known some men with very feminine voices and some women with deep, masculine voices.  

@EdohandsomeMy point being with my post about Tinder is...even with voice verification, you will never truly know who is behind the avatar even if you think you do.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'd love to know the % of people who will hop on voice with strangers just to voice verify.   I'd also love to know the % of those that do who get their female friend to do the verification.   Unless the person actually 'shows' you they are a female, how does one really know?  I've known some men with very feminine voices and some women with deep, masculine voices.  

Plus, voice *changers. How do we know Edo isn't themselves a catfish?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
changers, not changes
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

@EdohandsomeMy point being with my post about Tinder is...even with voice verification, you will never truly know who is behind the avatar even if you think you do.  

I have to do it all the time even though I'm a woman in RL. People are constantly accusing me of being a man. I don't swear or tell fart jokes or anything and I'm not into romance either. I dunno. What can you do? I've only been exploring a couple of weeks and am rarely online anyway. Maybe I should just turn tiny. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SorachaNicEoghain said:

I have to do it all the time even though I'm a woman in RL. People are constantly accusing me of being a man. I don't swear or tell fart jokes or anything and I'm not into romance either. I dunno. What can you do? I've only been exploring a couple of weeks and am rarely online anyway. Maybe I should just turn tiny. 

They accuse you of being a man in an attempt to force you into going on voice. It's been done to me quite a bit.  When you continue to resist they make a big stink of their opinion of you. It ends up "Bruh, you're annoyingly desperate to caveman your way into my pants and I don't do Australopithecus...

Edited by Charalyne Blackwood
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

They accuse you of being a man in an attempt to force you into going on voice. It's been done to me quite a bit.  When you continue to resist they make a big stink of their opinion of you. It ends up "Bruh, you're annoyingly desperate to caveman your way into my pants and I don't do Australopithecus...

Oh I did not know this was a thing! Makes sense. And they probably see I've only been around a short while and feel emboldened too. 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SorachaNicEoghain said:

Start doing that. 😇

Half kidding! It's been a loooong time since I've had my gender called into question (if ever?), even as a someone who runs around as a guy sometimes, and I can't remember my friends having issues with this either. We're a foul-mouthed bunch of RL women and we probably out-swear and out-gross most of the guys we meet in SL much of the time. 😂 I've actually found it's easier to make male friends and more this way (which works out great, since being ridiculous is my natural personality anyway - I don't do dainty).

Funny enough, I can't remember a single instance where a guy came over to us and demanded verification or doubted us in RL or anything. I've probably been asked "do you voice?" by men a handful of times over my 16 years, if that, but I always just say nope absolutely not I don't know you like that girrrrrl byeeeee!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.