If you use an avatar of a gender you are not, are you good at portraying that gender?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 hours ago, Cate Foulsbane said:

I think of myself as cis-gender female in RL, I have lived my RL as a female. I present  myself most times in SL as a female. (Ok sometimes I am a gender neutral mouse or ferret or male dinky cat.) But I love fart jokes in RL and in SL I am armed with fart gestures, fart bombs, whatever I can find to defile the environment around me when I am in the mood. Does that mean I am not really a woman? Bah!

*pulls Cate's finger*

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Giggling, to me, is what children do.  When women use the /me giggles in SL, it makes me cringe.  Men and women, again in my opinion, laugh, chuckle, guffaw, chortle and at this time of year, cackle.

"Tee-Hee, MF!!" - said the vengeant.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 2

When there's nobody in my life, I wear the same outfit day after day. I'm the only one who notices and I don't care. This is also true of RL, where I'll wear the same paint stained jeans and sweatshirt until they need washing, then I toss them in the hamper and grab new paint stained jeans and a sweatshirt. You're most likely to find me wearing steel toed work boots around the house.

In the early months of my marriage, I found a pair of high heels that were classy, sexy, and most importantly, comfy. Because I hate shopping, I bought two dozen pairs in a rainbow of colors. I simultaneously bought a rainbow of clip on bows. By mixing and matching, I was able go weeks without repeating. At holidays, I'd often wear two different colored shoes (ex: purple and pink for Easter, green and red for Xmas, red and blue with white bows for July 4).

I had a pilot's license, I have a ham radio license, my driver's license is rated for motorcycle. I'm an engineer, I own and drive a tractor with a front end loader, I corner my new Miata tighter than my emergency backup kid (a 28yr old ripped male) corners the old one I gave him, because he's a 'fraidy cat. I have a MIG/TIG stick welder, a wire welder, and gas welder. I have a milling machine and a very well equipped woodworking shop.

I can sew, which I did mostly in my childhood to make big kites (largest 15ft across) and little parachutes for my Barbie dolls, which I hurled into the sky on a homemade trebuchet. I broke a garage window during a chemistry experiment gone wrong. I hit my emergency backup kid in the groin with a fastball after he dared me to play catch with him while wearing the high heels I'd put on for a client appointment. I did at least have the good sense to stay on the driveway while he was on the lawn.

I sometimes use black jelly beans in spaghetti sauce to counter tart tomatoes from the farmer's market, add the taste of fennel, and thicken the sauce so I needn't boil off as much liquid. If a see a spider in the range hood, I'm likely to sweep it into the pot. I make my much younger cousins blush while playing "Crimes Against Humanity". I routinely hear "How did you do that?". I sometimes hear "Why did you do that?". Because I'm nefarious, I rarely hear "Did you do that?", especially when I did.

Here in SL, regardless of avi, I'd make no effort to present as anything other than myself, which by most accounts is as "weird".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

I'm a kid at heart? *offers tiny mershmellaz*

I'm an "old man" and I love a good giggle. It's all about quantum physics and Spongebob Squarepants.

Any time someone tells me to act my age, I respond with "I am. All the ages up to now are still a part of me."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm a nonbinary Lesbian in RL and I use a male avatar. I do enjoy being a male because I don't like how female avatars have female parts. I have been using a male avatar on several virtual worlds over the years because it's what I feel more comfortable with. I guess I'm different than most people, but I just feel more comfortable being in a male avatar. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

I'm a kid at heart? *offers tiny mershmellaz*

Giggling is just one of those things I associate men doing when using a female avatar.   Giggling during sex play, sure.  I can go with that if I'm being tickled.  It's those female avatars that giggle after almost everything they say that makes me wonder who's behind the avatar.  Not one single female I've known over the years in SL has /me giggles.   They generally just LOL.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

Giggles. Men seem to lol most of the time.  Guys don't giggle.

I find the opposite to be true. The women I know in SL tend to PMSL. ROFL. LMAO. ROFLMAO. Wheeeeeeze (this is me!). DIES (also me). And BWAHAHAHA. Boisterous is a good word for it. We're a rowdy bunch.

Funny enough, I've known some very, very giggly men. Online, they're usually the subtle and quiet hehe-ers and chucklers. Get em on the phone or voice or in person, and they'll giggle their faces off if something's hilarious enough.

I'm a woman (well, fluid, if we're being technical) who tends to get along a lot better with men than women for some reason, so my closer offline friends are usually male. Get a group of silly men together in one place (with or without alcohol) and they'll giggle like a bunch of schoolchildren. It's freaking adorable, really. 

Then again, I very rarely ever hang around serious people if I can help it, so seeing men completely let go and snort soda out of their noses isn't really uncommon for me. Women do it too, of course, but it's funnier when it happens to guys. 😂

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm a lol-er. Make of that what you will.

When something is triumphantly funny, I "Hah!"

And when something is PMSL-funny, I lololololol (yes, I know, it makes no sense).

OMG I forgot the lololololol. I do that, too. Laughing out loud out loud out loud out loud out loooooooooooud. 🤣

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Giggling is just one of those things I associate men doing when using a female avatar.   Giggling during sex play, sure.  I can go with that if I'm being tickled.  It's those female avatars that giggle after almost everything they say that makes me wonder who's behind the avatar.  Not one single female I've known over the years in SL has /me giggles.   They generally just LOL.

I used to be a little embarrassed if I used giggling but then realized that it was part of the character I played at times and was understood as such by the people I was with. 

Part of it I think is in coming to the realization that regardless of real life gender, some avatars are for the use of a RP character played, not an extension of one's real life self. At varying times I might RP a babygirl, bimbo, vampire etc and to the best of my ability take on the personality of such. To those who are inworld and see their avatar as just an extension of their real life self, my rp's may seem strange and a falsity but for me it is just a character that is not a reflection of my real self and for a particular identity, a giggle is entirely appropriate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I used to be a little embarrassed if I used giggling but then realized that it was part of the character I played at times and was understood as such by the people I was with. 

Part of it I think is in coming to the realization that regardless of real life gender, some avatars are for the use of a RP character played, not an extension of one's real life self. At varying times I might RP a babygirl, bimbo, vampire etc and to the best of my ability take on the personality of such. To those who are inworld and see their avatar as just an extension of their real life self, my rp's may seem strange and a falsity but for me it is just a character that is not a reflection of my real self and for a particular identity, a giggle is entirely appropriate.

Giggling as Charlie is something that's always been, I didn't really make a conscious effort to do it, it just felt natural. *offers you tiny mershmellaz*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't giggle.  I "heh" or I "hehe", which feels more like a cackle when I type it.  On rare occasions, I will "Lol" and even more rarely "Har".  I don't recall ever letting loose with a "Teehee" or a "Snort". As far as I'm concerned, it's not a gender thing. I'm just too self-conscious to like making loud or silly noises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I don't giggle.  I "heh" or I "hehe", which feels more like a cackle when I type it.  On rare occasions, I will "Lol" and even more rarely "Har".  I don't recall ever letting loose with a "Teehee" or a "Snort". As far as I'm concerned, it's not a gender thing. I'm just too self-conscious to like making loud or silly noises.

It's very rare that I laugh while at the keyboard. When I do, I'll usually say "Oh, that made me chuckle." Away from my keyboard, my RL days are filled with laughter. SL is my quiet place.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That raises the question for me, is the "Har-De-Har" laugh just the "Har" that went to Pirate Charm School?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.