Do you use your own RL social media in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Reason I ask is I have encountered folks who ask me for my FB or other stuff. Used to be in SL (I'm not that old, going on seven years in here), where even what country you're from demanded at least a modicum of conversation. Not to mention that my female friends tell me that the first guys ask for is personal info.

Don't get me wrong, I'm from the top of Europe just a short flight from polar bears, and have friends from Canada to Egypt, that's the wonder of SL. But when did it get so directly personal?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I do very little social media stuff in RL to begin with, and the little that I do on FB is mainly all just family with a few close longtime friends.  So, I don't share any RL social media with anyone in SL.  I don't see any reason to do so, and I don't see any reason to have additional social media accounts as my avatar.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

female friends tell me that the first guys ask for is personal info

Most are doing that to ascertain whether you are an actual female somehow.  None of which is relevant if it's the first time they've talked to me.  Any information that might be relevant is already in my first life tab.  Married, female EST (SLT +3).  Anything else, why?

Even if I still had a RL Facebook account, no way in hell would anyone in SL have that information.  Same with any other RL social media (which I don't have, btw).  I do have a Twitter on my SL account.  That's it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I keep a strict division between SL social media (Flickr, Insta) and RL social media (FB, Insta, Twitter, etc.). No one is entitled to a scrap of information about my First Life, and while I'm not reclusive or hypervigilant about letting people know about some areas, people I just met are certainly not going on my FB with my aunts and cousins. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Asking for your Facebook straight up, crazy, what right do they have to know your real life name and location? Creeps.

I don't even have any social media to share but I certainly wouldn't if I had it. I share real life info with my friends but I get pretty annoyed when guys open a conversation by asking personal real life questions.

I notice a lot of guys want your Discord straight away when they talk to you these days, why? We can talk on SL. I do share that with the occasional friend and business partner but that's it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Most are doing that to ascertain whether you are an actual female somehow.

Yeah I have heard that. Some women I know in SL know the difference between a 55 or a 57 Chevy blower motor. Yet I know they are women, as we've spent night after night talking. I know the names of their dogs... I could target them on Google Maps were I so inclined. Which I am obviously not. Just a "sigh". Whatever happened to patience. :)

Edited by HeathcliffMontague
Spelling
  • Like 2

The only social media accounts I have are for SL: Facebook (which I barely use), Twitter (which is under Laskya's name), and Discord.

It's actually useful: it gives me a window into the world of social media without having to commit my RL identity to any of them. It's much easier to ignore Facebook when I have no RL friends or family there.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

*runs away and hides in a rather impressive pillow an blankie fort munchin popcorns and pretending I have force fields for stoppin da bad guys*

...starts a little campfire outside your fort, leaves a bag of marshmallows and some long sticks, then hides behind a tree until you let your guard down and come out*

*little devils eat force fields for breakfast

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

...starts a little campfire outside your fort, leaves a bag of marshmallows and some long sticks, then hides behind a tree until you let your guard down and come out*

*little devils eat force fields for breakfast

..dumps a large bag of daddy long legs out by the snacks..

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.