You know you've spent too long in SL (or the Forum) when you...

Seicher Rae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Over in another thread, Forumite @Lewis Luminos mentioned that once, in real life, in 3-D, he signed a whole stack of papers with his SL name, instead of his RL name, luckily caught it in time and had to shred everything and start over.

I know I once spent a good 15 minutes searching my RL apartment for the sweater I wanted to wear, only to have it dawn on me, finally, "Oh. That's Seicher's!"

Another thread is talking about the Forum affecting RL dreams. 

So...

What's your facepalm-worthy story of crossing your lives up? What's your example of "Wow, I've spent too much time in SL/Forum to have done that..."?

Ha! And I claim I rarely start topic threads! 
Also, I did not research this topic exhaustively to see if it is repeated elsewhere... sooooo lazy.
/me checks for cut and paste errors, and so hopes this posts in dark theme ok
/me has a performance anxiety panic attack but hits the "Submit Topic" button anyways
Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I think it is about 12 years ago now.
I had to go to my bank to withdraw some cash. My than 80+ mother who lived with me asked me to get some money for her out of the ATM as well.
And I asked her: "Okay, no problem, how many Lindens do you need?".

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 14

I have caught myself soooo many times signing emails at work as Lil.  Thankfully, I always catch myself before hitting Send.

Many times over the years, I have confused my RL closet and my SL inventory.  Looking for things in SL that only exist in RL and vice versa.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have caught myself soooo many times signing emails at work as Lil.  Thankfully, I always catch myself before hitting Send.

Many times over the years, I have confused my RL closet and my SL inventory.  Looking for things in SL that only exist in RL and vice versa.

That's the upside to having a weird SL name, I've not been tempted to sign it on RL things.

I have to say that I was quite disappointed when I realized (as mentioned in the OP) that the sweater I was looking for IRL was actually SL inventory. That bish Seicher has a much, much better closet than I do and I really want that sweater IRL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'll try to zoom in or turn my camera angle on websites.

Once I found myself doing some of Alycia's animations in RL, especially her sideways hand wave and pirouette-like turn. 

Of course, I also see people in RL and think they're dressed like SL avatars.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

I use different names for all my virtual existences and sometimes they stick longer than they should. Akane has sometimes slipped out, and I nearly introduced myself as Currypuff once which is my destiny2 character name. 21stC problems - having to think hard what is your actual name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

10 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Ive attempted to drag .jpg's and .txt's from desktop to avatar quite a lot does that count ? It never works btw

Yup, I've been there and and attempted that several times with textures when I'm building in SL.
It would be a cool premium plus feature for creators if that would work.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 2

Many years ago, before mesh, I used to make and sell furniture in SL. So I used to analyse pieces of RL furniture, to count how many prims it was made of. Mainly to see if it was worth trying to build in SL.

But there was one time when I was walking past a construction site in RL, they'd put up a big wooden wall around it, maybe 3m high. I could hear stuff going on in there and I wanted to see what they were doing. So I stopped, turned to face the wall, and actually did that little pre-jump thing, for a brief moment fully expecting that I could fly up and look over the wall. 

D'oh.

PS: @Seicher Rae it looks fine in dark theme.

Edited by Karl Herber
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

I used to look at RL stuff and unconsciously think "how many prims"? Especially with buildings. Since my area has some weird dilapidated buildings, I still often think how those would look in Second Life and that most users would assume they don't represent RL buildings.

@Seicher Rae, yes your OP looks fine in dark mode. Just change the theme at the bottom of any page to see (picture is from mobile). 

48A22BC3-3B24-4539-BE1E-9AE5AC2F55B6.jpeg

• Like 3

The clothes thing! Searching for a tee shirt in RL then remembering it's in my SL inventory. Also trying to right click zoom on other websites.

Something else I do a lot in RL, when I am out and about and I see something lovely like long grass or knobbly tree bark or an old wall, I'm forever saying 'that would make a lovely texture!'

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Of course, I also see people in RL and think they're dressed like SL avatars.

I had a door-dash delivery where the delivery person was dressed in low-slung baggie "jodpurs" with high legged thong showing, and a cropped top with under boob... and, EXACTLY, I thought "I've seen that in SL. Do I own that in SL?"

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Foxx Ghoststar said:

The clothes thing! Searching for a tee shirt in RL then remembering it's in my SL inventory. Also trying to right click zoom on other websites.

Something else I do a lot in RL, when I am out and about and I see something lovely like long grass or knobbly tree bark or an old wall, I'm forever saying 'that would make a lovely texture!'

For me, when I was heavy into SL photography, it was windlight. I'd be out and about and wonder "what WL is that?" or "how would I set the sliders for that WL?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

For me, when I was heavy into SL photography, it was windlight. I'd be out and about and wonder "what WL is that?" or "how would I set the sliders for that WL?"

RL has some amazing windlights or should I say EEP? 😂

I just wish everything was as clean and sparkly as (most of) SL (unless designed otherwise, mess and tumble down builds is so much prettier online!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 681 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.