Has anyone else noticed the B[xxxx] accounts?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/17/2022 at 5:40 PM, bonniebelle81 said:

In all seriousness though, I'm happy to answer questions about the "original" B[xxx] bots.  We attempt to visit all regions at least once a day and are certainly not stalking anyone.  I'm sorry if we gave you guys a fright.  Quarz, I'm so sorry if we made your job moderating more difficult!  Do let me know if there's anything we can do to help.  

Where did you ask for permission to come and scrape data on the servers I lease from Linden Lab? Ever heard about the Data Protection Act and the fines it comes with? 

I am tired of seeing your bots teleport in all the time and having to mass ban them. You are disturbing Second Life residents who are paying money to rent or lease their virtual property. You are doing this without asking permission for your own entertainment. 

@Linden Lab @Keira Linden 

This strongly reminds me of redzone and it didn't end very well for Redzone. I did have to ban around 80 bots so far this week after opening a ticket with Linden Lab. In recent months bots have become a pest. I have an increase in complaints from residents asking me about who these strange avatars are that hang above their land and not answer them. Every morning I need to filter through reports from bot accounts who have been visiting islands for no reason.

@Linden Lab has a bot policy stating bots cannot become a nuisance in welcome areas. But bots can become a nuisance to paying customers? Linden Lab Official:Bot policy - Second Life Wiki

You are scraping user data without being given permission. You violate people their privacy by entering their region or parcel to collect this data. You are putting increased load on the grid and hammering Linden Lab their servers with all your needless teleports day in day out. Resources for which other people need to pay absurd taxes and fees.

You are also not contributing to the resident experience in world with your bot farm, which leads to less income for Linden Lab, so you are in fact costing Linden Lab money.

Bots are fine if they are being used as an npc, during roleplay or to model avatar skins and clothing or as a tool to help people in world. What you are doing is scraping data with your bot farm by spying on people and their whereabouts in world. Invading their regions and parcels just because you think you can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Count Burks said:

Where did you ask for permission to come and scrape data on the servers I lease from Linden Lab? Ever heard about the Data Protection Act and the fines it comes with? 

I am tired of seeing your bots teleport in all the time and having to mass ban them. You are disturbing Second Life residents who are paying money to rent or lease their virtual property. You are doing this without asking permission for your own entertainment. 

@Linden Lab @Keira Linden 

This strongly reminds me of redzone and it didn't end very well for Redzone. I did have to ban around 80 bots so far this week after opening a ticket with Linden Lab. In recent months bots have become a pest. I have an increase in complaints from residents asking me about who these strange avatars are that hang above their land and not answer them. Every morning I need to filter through reports from bot accounts who have been visiting islands for no reason.

@Linden Lab has a bot policy stating bots cannot become a nuisance in welcome areas. But bots can become a nuisance to paying customers? Linden Lab Official:Bot policy - Second Life Wiki

You are scraping user data without being given permission. You violate people their privacy by entering their region or parcel to collect this data. You are putting increased load on the grid and hammering Linden Lab their servers with all your needless teleports day in day out. Resources for which other people need to pay absurd taxes and fees.

You are also not contributing to the resident experience in world with your bot farm, which leads to less income for Linden Lab, so you are in fact costing Linden Lab money.

Bots are fine if they are being used as an npc, during roleplay or to model avatar skins and clothing or as a tool to help people in world. What you are doing is scraping data with your bot farm by spying on people and their whereabouts in world. Invading their regions and parcels just because you think you can.

I'd be more turned off at businesses using bot clusters to generate 95% of their traffic rating than I would at random survey bots coming and going all day.

It might be nice if Scripted Agent status could be read by script so visitor alerts and/or moderation could be more "efficient".

Also, aside from the horrible practice of forever equating an IP between a RL entity and any one user, something that other systems like Voodoo and CDS use, the final nail with Red Zone was the discovery they were harvesting incorrectly inputted passwords on their website with the hidden data field "possible Secondlife password" or something similarly titled in each user's account data.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I'd be more turned off at businesses using bot clusters to generate 95% of their traffic rating than I would at random survey bots coming and going all day.

It might be nice if Scripted Agent status could be read by script so visitor alerts and/or moderation could be more "efficient".

Also, aside from the horrible practice of forever equating an IP between a RL entity and any one user, something that other systems like Voodoo and CDS use, the final nail with Red Zone was the discovery they were harvesting incorrectly inputted passwords on their website with the hidden data field "possible Secondlife password" or something similarly titled in each user's account data.

The final nail with redzone was publically outing alledged "alts" by creating a hud that allowed anyone to view them.

Voodoo collect IP address only via the prompt that a user gets to verify before they can play a sploder - user gets a blue pop up telling them that by clicking that their IP address is collected so places the choice firmly in the user's hand (IE gdpr compliant).

CDS, haven't seen that in use in years 🤔

7 hours ago, Count Burks said:

It's by no means clear, or at least not to me, that data about avatars (as opposed to IP addresses) is covered by EU or UK data protection legislation.  

The test is whether you can identify an individual based on the information you hold about them, whether on its own or by putting it together with other information either you hold or data you could obtain from another source (which is interpreted pretty broadly -- I know that in the UK it covers car registration numbers, even though the public don't have access to a register of them).

Who, though, other than particular employees of LL or Tilia who have access to our confidential data like credit card details, is in a position to put together data about Innula Zenovka or Count Burks and connect it to a particular individual in First Life?    

The payment info LL have on file for me is certainly covered by data protection law, but I'm not so sure about data specific to Innula or any of her alts.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/key-definitions/what-is-personal-data/#2

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2022 at 7:11 AM, Elfi Siemens said:

To me it looks like that person did a bit more than that.... No. 98 is 13 days old right now - I did a search and counted 41(!!) other Bonniebelles that are 13 days old, too.

In general, I kinda got used to the Brendans and bots may be harmless, but especially the Bonniebelles are pretty annoying. Setting the place to "must have payment info" is a great idea, but no option if you're running a public place, at least for me.

Has one always landing in my house on my plot, BXXX86. Lucky that my security orb kicks everybody out in 10 secs.

Edited by Dorientje Woller
Edited name

On 1/19/2023 at 2:51 AM, Sid Nagy said:

So you are a legal expert as well.

I didn't say that.

"Because we can"  isn't the best argument in my book.

It's a better argument than claiming it's against the TOS  when the TOS specifically says you agree to have any data you make public be replicated on other users computers. It's also a better argument than saying privacy laws prohibit it when they don't.

That it is technically possible to harvest the public data and LL doesn't act against it, does not make it desirable, morally okay or wanted.

Granted, but that doesn't make it immoral, or wrong either.

On 1/19/2023 at 1:52 PM, Lyric Demina said:

It is a violation of privacy

Because reasons, right? There is no legal expectation of privacy for anything you do in public. I get that you can log on to Second Life from your bedroom, but if you have a video call into a national news report as some times happens to some people for a variety of reasons, you can do that from your bedroom as well. If you don't want other peoples viewers knowing you wear Leutka teeth without a Leutka head, then don't wear Leutka teeth without a Leutka head.

Again, allow me to refer you to Second Life TOS section 2.4.

(edit) Lyric Demina also said:

I am not broadcasting my subscription level to the world just by being here. 

Actually, you are.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGetObjectDetails

OBJECT_ACCOUNT_LEVEL 41 Gets the account level of an avatar.
If id is not an avatar, -1 is returned.
  • 0 is Basic account level.
  • 1 is Premium account level.
  • 10 is Premium Plus account level.

Any time you're in a sim, any script can get your account level. It's public information. Sure it can only be accessed by a script, but it's any script, no matter who.

That said, I do agree that there's no real utility for everyone to know about account levels. That said, I'm kind of puzzled... is being premium or premium plus something to be ashamed of?

On 1/19/2023 at 1:52 PM, Lyric Demina said:

For that reason I am downgrading my subscription to basic and @Linden Lab is losing out on my money.

So you're going to punish LL for not enforcing terms that aren't in the terms of service? Ok, that's your choice I suppose.

On 1/19/2023 at 4:25 PM, Arielle Popstar said:

It's absurd to claim stalking only involves following another.

So both the legal system and every English dictionary on the planet is absurd?

jumping to a sim I am on and parsing data from my avatar and profile, it is a form of stalking

By that definition of stalking, every single avatar you run into on Second Life is stalking you because it's the only way for anyone to see or interact with your avatar. That's why TOS 2.4 exists.

Public is not private. There is no expectation of privacy in public.

At best it may not be personal but the ability for it to build a personal profile of me is there.

Did you know that there are countless scripts across the grid that report the same thing to their creator? You just don't know about them because they aren't in the form of bots that all have the same name. Again, the bots all having the same name is not the behavior of someone who's up to no good. It's the ones who hide that you have to worry about.

20 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

From what I see of the legal definition is that it only needs to cause an emotional distress

No, it must cause a reasonable person emotional distress, and it must be intentional. The legal term for the intent there is what's called "mens rea" which is a latin phrase meaning "guilty mind", which means intent. At least for criminal accusations (and stalking is a criminal thing) there must be intent. Like Solar said, if you believe the Bonnies are legitimately stalking you, file a police report.

Edited by Myra Loveless
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Count Burks said:

You are scraping user data without being given permission. You violate people their privacy by entering their region or parcel to collect this data.

First of all, section 2.4 of the TOS says that you give permission to other users to have any data you put out publicly be replicated on their system. It currently does not prohibit that data from being cached, parsed, or entered into a third party database. So you're wrong about them not being given permission. By using Second Life, you agree to the TOS, and as such you agree to have the data replicated on other users systems.

Ever heard about the Data Protection Act and the fines it comes with? 

I already addressed this on a previous page. The DPA only covers non-anonymized data. There is no way for any of the data to be linked back to you as a person in the real world. If there is, I would love to know what way that is. Would you care to illucidate? How exactly does "a lot of people wear Leutka Teeth without a Leutka head" lead back to your real world identity? I really want to know how that works.

First of all, there's nothing in the TOS that requires users to contribute to the resident experience.

Secondly, and more importantly, they are contributing to the resident experience.

This webpage residents of Second Life see where the hot spots are, i.e. the popular hangouts. https://www.bonniebots.com/regions

This webpage lets residents of Second Life see what attachments are popular. https://www.bonniebots.com/attachments

This webpage lets you find abandoned land for claiming as long as you have the available land tier. This is a tool that land barons have had for ages with their own survey bots, but they never made it public. Now you can stand a chance at finding cheap, desirable land before a land baron does. https://www.bonniebots.com/abandoned-land

This webpage lets you find an available Linden Home, which previously was very difficult. Thanks to the Bonnies, it's much easier now. https://www.bonniebots.com/linden-homes

This webpage lets you see how much money is flowing through Second Life, as well as what items are popular. https://www.bonniebots.com/market

This website lets you search users who are active, and more than just simple name search. LL only provides a name search. The Bonnies let you search the content of peoples profiles, which in turn means you can find people who share similar interests to you. For example, you can find people who are into vampires but not into the bloodlines game on SL. https://www.bonniebots.com/avatar-search

Just today New World Notes released an article about the bonnies, talking about how useful they are to everyone. https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2023/01/bonnie-site-second-life-traffic.html

Now, before you go and say that none of that stuff matters to you, it not mattering or being of use to you isn't a valid criteria for whether or not it's useful or improves Second Life in some way.

Edited by Myra Loveless
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Myra Loveless said:

First of all, section 2.4 of the TOS says that you give permission to other users to have any data you put out publicly be replicated on their system. It currently does not prohibit that data from being cached, parsed, or entered into a third party database. So you're wrong about them not being given permission. By using Second Life, you agree to the TOS, and as such you agree to have the data replicated on other users systems.

I already addressed this on a previous page. The DPA only covers non-anonymized data. There is no way for any of the data to be linked back to you as a person in the real world. If there is, I would love to know what way that is. Would you care to illucidate? How exactly does "a lot of people wear Leutka Teeth without a Leutka head" lead back to your real world identity? I really want to know how that works.

First of all, there's nothing in the TOS that requires users to contribute to the resident experience.

Secondly, and more importantly, they are contributing to the resident experience.

This webpage residents of Second Life see where the hot spots are, i.e. the popular hangouts. https://www.bonniebots.com/regions

This webpage lets residents of Second Life see what attachments are popular. https://www.bonniebots.com/attachments

This webpage lets you find abandoned land for claiming as long as you have the available land tier. This is a tool that land barons have had for ages with their own survey bots, but they never made it public. Now you can stand a chance at finding cheap, desirable land before a land baron does. https://www.bonniebots.com/abandoned-land

This webpage lets you find an available Linden Home, which previously was very difficult. Thanks to the Bonnies, it's much easier now. https://www.bonniebots.com/linden-homes

This webpage lets you see how much money is flowing through Second Life, as well as what items are popular. https://www.bonniebots.com/market

This website lets you search users who are active, and more than just simple name search. LL only provides a name search. The Bonnies let you search the content of peoples profiles, which in turn means you can find people who share similar interests to you. For example, you can find people who are into vampires but not into the bloodlines game on SL. https://www.bonniebots.com/avatar-search

Just today New World Notes released an article about the bonnies, talking about how useful they are to everyone. https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2023/01/bonnie-site-second-life-traffic.html

Now, before you go and say that none of that stuff matters to you, it not mattering or being of use to you isn't a valid criteria for whether or not it's useful or improves Second Life in some way.

First question: are these bots/website by anyway from Linden Labs or an asigned 3rd party from Linden Labs? If yes, no issue with it.

2nd Question: If not, do they have the consent of the user/SL resident to collect that data? If not, sorry to say, then they are not only violating the TOS/ROC of Linden Labs, but violating certain Privacy Laws which may put Linden Lab on a slippery slope.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

First question: are these bots/website by anyway from Linden Labs or an asigned 3rd party from Linden Labs? If yes, no issue with it.

2nd Question: If not, do they have the consent of the user/SL resident to collect that data? If not, sorry to say, then they are not only violating the TOS/ROC of Linden Labs, but violating certain Privacy Laws which may put Linden Lab on a slippery slope.

I've quoted it once and referred to it multiple times. TOS section 2.4.

2.4 You grant certain Content licenses to other users by submitting your Content to publicly accessible areas of the Service.

You agree that by uploading, publishing, or submitting any Content to any publicly accessible areas of the Service, you hereby grant other users of that aspect of the Service a non-exclusive license to access the User Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content on the Service solely as permitted by you through your interactions with the Service under these Terms. This license is referred to as the "User Content License," and the Content being licensed is referred to as "User Content." "Publicly accessible" areas of the Service are those areas that are accessible to other users of that aspect of the Service.

If you do not wish to grant users of the Service a User Content License, you agree that it is your obligation to avoid displaying or making available your Content to other users.

Your interactions with the Service may include use of a permissions system as provided in an applicable Product Policy. Any agreement you make with other users relating to use or access to your Content must be consistent with these Terms and the applicable Product Policy, and no such agreement can abrogate, nullify, void or modify these Terms or the applicable Product Policy.

You acknowledge that when you receive a User Content License you receive only licensing and use rights; therefore, you do not acquire ownership of any copies of the Content, or transfer of any copyright or other Intellectual Property Rights in the Content.

I keep seeing people saying it's a violation of the TOS, but as far as I can tell, I'm the only person to quote it. Have you actually read it? If you don't know what section it's allegedly a violation of, what basis do you have for saying it's against the TOS?

Heck, Section 1.4 of the TOS puts the onus on you. It literally says

1.4. You shall be responsible for restricting access to Content for which you do not wish to grant a User Content License.

You agree that the User Content License set forth in the Terms of Service does not apply to content that is located on an island or region that is not publicly accessible. If you do not wish to grant users of Second Life a User Content License, you agree that it is your obligation to avoid displaying or making available your Content to other users. For example, an island or estate holder may use Virtual Land tools to limit or restrict other users' access to the Virtual Land and thus the Content on the Virtual Land.

In other words, if you don't want the data being public, then don't make it public. If you're concerned about privacy on something, it's up to you to make sure it stays private. Don't make public what you don't want to be public.

If you don't want people reading words in your profile, don't put words in your profile. If you don't want a bot to know you visited a sim, stick to sims that restrict access to a group you're in, etc.

Edited by Myra Loveless

2 minutes ago, Myra Loveless said:

I've quoted it once and referred to it multiple times. TOS section 2.4.

I keep seeing people saying it's a violation of the TOS, but as far as I can tell, I'm the only person to quote it. Have you actually read it? If you don't know what section it's allegedly a violation of, what basis do you have for saying it's against the TOS?

You fail to understand the word consent. Have not given them my consent, so they are not allowed to gather data about me, my land, my plot or whatever if they aren't from Linden Labs or a 3rd party assigned by Linden Labs to do so. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Dorientje Woller said:

You fail to understand the word consent. Have not given them my consent, so they are not allowed to gather data about me, my land, my plot or whatever if they aren't from Linden Labs or a 3rd party assigned by Linden Labs to do so.

I do not fail to understand the word consent. You gave your consent by agreeing to the TOS.

2.4 You grant certain Content licenses to other users by submitting your Content to publicly accessible areas of the Service.

You agree that by uploading, publishing, or submitting any Content to any publicly accessible areas of the Service, you hereby grant other users of that aspect of the Service a non-exclusive license to access the User Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content on the Service solely as permitted by you through your interactions with the Service under these Terms. This license is referred to as the "User Content License," and the Content being licensed is referred to as "User Content." "Publicly accessible" areas of the Service are those areas that are accessible to other users of that aspect of the Service.

If you do not wish to grant users of the Service a User Content License, you agree that it is your obligation to avoid displaying or making available your Content to other users.

Your interactions with the Service may include use of a permissions system as provided in an applicable Product Policy. Any agreement you make with other users relating to use or access to your Content must be consistent with these Terms and the applicable Product Policy, and no such agreement can abrogate, nullify, void or modify these Terms or the applicable Product Policy.

You acknowledge that when you receive a User Content License you receive only licensing and use rights; therefore, you do not acquire ownership of any copies of the Content, or transfer of any copyright or other Intellectual Property Rights in the Content.

To summarize, by agreeing to the TOS, you granted other users a license to reproduce, distribute, prepare dirivative works of, and display data that you have made available in public areas of Second Life. You consented. If you want to take that consent back, then you are legally obligated to discontinue use Second Life. Simply logging in reaffirms that consent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Myra Loveless said:

I do not fail to understand the word consent. You gave your consent by agreeing to the TOS.

To summarize, by agreeing to the TOS, you granted other users a license to reproduce, distribute, prepare dirivative works of, and display data that you have made available in public areas of Second Life. You consented. If you want to take that consent back, then you are legally obligated to discontinue use Second Life. Simply logging in reaffirms that consent.

I don't think that showing up in my home, on a plot of land where the landower has given me as only one access to, can't be considered a public place. And you still haven't answered the main question ... are these bots from Linden Lab self or a 3rd party that is assigned by Linden Labs.

Edited by Dorientje Woller

40 minutes ago, Myra Loveless said:

Is the data also anonymized to my avatar account? That at least would be not so bad but to assure me it is only anonymized to my r/l identity not so much.

1 minute ago, Myra Loveless said:

BonnieBots - Marketplace

I am sure that content creators will be pleased how you are spying on how much they are making. Displaying people their RL income on some website is just rude and not done. You are aggressively scraping user data. As mentioned above you are not a third party employed by Linden Lab. I did not give you consent to teleport into my regions and extract data and bother residents.

Linden Lab needs to comply with EU regulations regarding data privacy. The general data protection regulation - Consilium (europa.eu)

Rights of individuals

The GDPR lists the rights of the data subject, meaning the rights of the individuals whose personal data is being processed. These strengthened rights give individuals more control over their personal data, including through:

• the need for an individual's clear consent to the processing of his or her personal data
  • easier access for the data subject to his or her personal data
  • the right to rectification, to erasure and ‘to be forgotten’
  • the right to object, including to the use of personal data for the purposes of ‘profiling’
  • the right to data portability from one service provider to another

The regulation also lays down the obligation for controllers (those who are responsible for the processing of data) to provide transparent and easily accessible information to individuals on the processing of their data.

You are aggressively profiling individuals and businesses in Second Life without being given permission to do so. If you think for a moment Linden Lab does not care about complying with EU  law and regulations look at what happened to Gacha machines. 

It is amazing that Linden Lab would allow you to further display people their RL income from the Marketplace, making them a target. You might want to do your research before following a path that could get you a lot of headaches.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A word about "survey bots" in general, because someone voiced the opinion in this thread that nobody should speculate about what a bot is collecting until proven. No, it's the other way around. You have to assume that a bot will collect everything they can and store it in a database. Why? Because they can. Because it's cheap. Because they don't need to fear any backlash. To assume anything else is purely naive. That's how it is, and it is what it is. The important question is only if that database is then used with any malicious intents. And so far we seem to have been spared from that.

1 hour ago, Myra Loveless said:

So the data is anonymous is it?

According to your website this content creator is earning www.studio-skye.com 3.000000 L$ per month. This is 12000 USD a month. He is raking it in, he is netting 144000 US$ a year from his Second Life income.

You made that public. But it is ok because he is anonymous right? Well going to his website I find this Solafirma Limited SC410569

How hard is it now to find the rest. I already did it, I have his full name, his RL address etc.... I know everything about this individual now. Who he is, where he lives, how much his income is.

See how I linked your data to a RL individual within 2 minutes?

@Linden Lab I hope that you are reading this, by allowing this bot farmer to scrape user data you are bringing Second Life users and content creators into unsafe situations. This is why what you are doing is wrong and not allowed by law.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

I don't think that showing up in my home, on a plot of land where the landower has given me as only one access to, can't be considered a public place.

As per https://secondlife.com/app/tos/tos.php

1.4. You shall be responsible for restricting access to Content for which you do not wish to grant a User Content License.

You agree that the User Content License set forth in the Terms of Service does not apply to content that is located on an island or region that is not publicly accessible. If you do not wish to grant users of Second Life a User Content License, you agree that it is your obligation to avoid displaying or making available your Content to other users. For example, an island or estate holder may use Virtual Land tools to limit or restrict other users' access to the Virtual Land and thus the Content on the Virtual Land.

In short, if you don't want your parcel being publicly accessible, restrict access to it. It's your responsibility to maintain the access to the parcel.

30 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

And you still haven't answered the main question ... are these bots from Linden Lab self or a 3rd party that is assigned by Linden Labs.

And I'm not going to. As I said previously, I'm not obligated to answer such questions because I'm not a part of it. I'm just here discussing the facts of the matter. Just because I correct people when they say it's against the TOS doesn't mean I am the person who runs the bonnie bots. It means I'm a person who saw a false allegation and corrected it.

If you want an answer to that question, go ask Bonnie. Message one of the bots. There's a human on the other end. Try to be respectful. If you go and start acting all high and mighty and indignant, you might get sassed. That's just how human interaction works.

26 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Is the data also anonymized to my avatar account?

That question makes no sense, but looking at the site, I only see your avatar's profile on their profile search. Your profile is public information. The only thing on the site that is tied to your avatar is stuff you have chosen to make publicly available via your profile.

I also don't see any reason to believe that they're storing who wears what attachments or who visits what sim. Seems to me that would multiply the data storage by a considerable amount, and with no actual added utility. So unless you can show me that they do, I have no reason to believe that they do.

26 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

That at least would be not so bad but to assure me it is only anonymized to my r/l identity not so much.

Ok, but I'm only talking about real life identity because people bring up privacy laws and that's what privacy laws are about, real life identity.

16 minutes ago, Count Burks said:

I am sure that content creators will be pleased how you are spying on how much they are making.

*ahem* That data is public information see the following image:

image.png.b79cedd0ff3ff2955c1fc324aacfcee7.png

I wouldn't doubt it if Bonnie is getting it directly from the marketplace webpage and simply logging it. I doubt Bonnie is capable of reading in-world transactions with in-world vendors, or person to person transactions.

19 minutes ago, Count Burks said:
  • the need for an individual's clear consent to the processing of his or her personal data
  • easier access for the data subject to his or her personal data

I love how you failed to provide the GDPR's definition of personal data.

Did you know that laws include definitions to prevent people from making up what ever definition they want and trying to apply it to the law? Here's the GDPR's definition of personal data.

Personal data are any information which are related to an identified or identifiable natural person.

An avatar is not a natural person. Unless you have gone and doxed yourself on your profile, there is no way to know that you, whoever you are in the real world, wears Leutka teeth without a Leutka head. I use that example only because I find it highly amusing that Leutka teeth is one of the top attachments according to Bonnie, but Leutka heads are buried several pages in.

I've said something to this effect repeatedly... If you're going to cite laws, make sure you're actually correct about it. Better yet, consult a lawyer.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Myra Loveless said:

As per https://secondlife.com/app/tos/tos.php

In short, if you don't want your parcel being publicly accessible, restrict access to it. It's your responsibility to maintain the access to the parcel.

And I'm not going to. As I said previously, I'm not obligated to answer such questions because I'm not a part of it. I'm just here discussing the facts of the matter. Just because I correct people when they say it's against the TOS doesn't mean I am the person who runs the bonnie bots. It means I'm a person who saw a false allegation and corrected it.

If you want an answer to that question, go ask Bonnie. Message one of the bots. There's a human on the other end. Try to be respectful. If you go and start acting all high and mighty and indignant, you might get sassed. That's just how human interaction works.

That question makes no sense, but looking at the site, I only see your avatar's profile on their profile search. Your profile is public information. The only thing on the site that is tied to your avatar is stuff you have chosen to make publicly available via your profile.

I also don't see any reason to believe that they're storing who wears what attachments or who visits what sim. Seems to me that would multiply the data storage by a considerable amount, and with no actual added utility. So unless you can show me that they do, I have no reason to believe that they do.

Ok, but I'm only talking about real life identity because people bring up privacy laws and that's what privacy laws are about, real life identity.

*ahem* That data is public information see the following image:

image.png.b79cedd0ff3ff2955c1fc324aacfcee7.png

I wouldn't doubt it if Bonnie is getting it directly from the marketplace webpage and simply logging it. I doubt Bonnie is capable of reading in-world transactions with in-world vendors, or person to person transactions.

I love how you failed to provide the GDPR's definition of personal data.

Did you know that laws include definitions to prevent people from making up what ever definition they want and trying to apply it to the law? Here's the GDPR's definition of personal data.

An avatar is not a natural person. Unless you have gone and doxed yourself on your profile, there is no way to know that you, whoever you are in the real world, wears Leutka teeth without a Leutka head. I use that example only because I find it highly amusing that Leutka teeth is one of the top attachments according to Bonnie, but Leutka heads are buried several pages in.

I've said something to this effect repeatedly... If you're going to cite laws, make sure you're actually correct about it. Better yet, consult a lawyer.

I just identified a RL person in the example above. Took two minutes. Law applies no doubt about this.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Count Burks said:

So the data is anonymous is it?

Seems to be.

According to your website

Oh, ok, so you're not talking to me. Why are you directing it at me?

this content creator is earning www.studio-skye.com 3.000000 L$ per month. This is 12000 USD a month. He is raking it in, he is netting 144000 US$ a year from his Second Life income.

Hmm, ok? Who is studio-sky.come? Looks like a business, not a person, and the Bonnie page seems to only be providing data on sales from marketplace.secondlife.com. That's public data. See my previous post to this wone for how that's public data.

You made that public.

I did what now?

How hard is it now to find the rest. I already did it, I have his full name, his RL address etc

Why are you stalking that creator? Oh wait, did you get it from running a whois on the domain? You know that's public information, right? If you got it from running a whois on the domain, it seems it's that person's problem, not Bonnie's. I mean, they could choose to use an anonymizer service. I don't like GoDaddy but they provide a built in anonymizer for domains bought through them last time I checked.

See how I linked your data to a RL individual within 2 minutes?

No, I don't. I don't provide data. You're seriously barking up the wrong tree here.

Also, what you did was what's called "sleuthing". Sleuthing is not prohibited by any privacy laws. Like I said, if you buy a domain name and don't use an anonymizing service when registering it, that's a choice you make. You chose to make your contact info public. All you're doing is searching public records and crying foul over the fact that public records exist.

I just identified a RL person in the example above. Took two minutes. Law applies no doubt about this.

Sorry, but where in Bonnie's data did you find that? Oh right you got it from public records and following the paper trail that the person in question left on their webpage and Second Life profile, rather than using data from Bonnie. Ok then. If bonnie had never existed, you could have still performed that feat because you didn't use Bonnie's information to identify the person, now did you?

The fault here would be with Linden Lab. Again, I already showed you how you can get the same data yourself. Here's the screenshot again.

image.png.377787112cd71872ed872303a05673ba.png

So what you do is you write a script that just looks at the marketplace webpage periodically and record the information on what customers are buying now, and make a note of who the seller is, and Bob's your uncle, or maybe your aunt, I don't know what Bob's gender is. What's the non-gender specific honorific for a parent's sibling? Anyway, that's Bob.

So the best argument you have here is that Linden Lab needs to stop showing what customers are buying now.

Edited by Myra Loveless
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Count Burks said:

To be fair, anyone visiting studio-skye's website has access to that information.  Anyone from SL.who links their RL info to their SL website makes it public information.  They don't need to visit the bonnie bell website first.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.