Has anyone else noticed the B[xxxx] accounts?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Moles
10 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Careful, @Quartz Mole! You'll open up the whole "do bots have the same rights as people" debate!

(For a very poignant take on that, see The Bicentennial Man...either the book by Asimov or the film starring Robin Williams)

I don't care about bots' rights.  I have my instructions to remove their names from threads, and since I have better things to do with my time than keep on editing them out,  if I keep on having to do it, I'll solve the problem by locking the thread.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Dragon Hijinks said:

I've seen them around but, like...what do they do? Are they dangerous? Copybotters? Or are they just processing traffic data or something?

It doesn't really matter, I ban them regardless since they don't pay me for whatever data they collect. There's no use worrying about copybots though, since anyone can do that on any account... if anything bots doing it randomly would be really inefficient since the creator doesn't actually know what they collect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

In all seriousness though, I'm happy to answer questions about the "original" B[xxx] bots.  We attempt to visit all regions at least once a day and are certainly not stalking anyone.  I'm sorry if we gave you guys a fright.  Quarz, I'm so sorry if we made your job moderating more difficult!  Do let me know if there's anything we can do to help.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2022 at 12:22 PM, Dragon Hijinks said:

I've seen them around but, like...what do they do? Are they dangerous? Copybotters? Or are they just processing traffic data or something?

The last one!

BB's were made just for funs, inspired by some mapping bots from back in the early days of SL. The information gathered at first was basic parcel gathering. Since then it's increased to traffic levels, available abandoned land, and even a new feature of trending attachments.

The ACTUAL BB's are 100% completely harmless. They do not stalk people. They do not follow you. Aside from BB prime they will NOT talk to you.

If you feel like a BB is stalking you or threatens you in any way, please do report to LL immediately. This is not an actual BB but someone posing as one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skyler Pancake said:

The last one!

BB's were made just for funs, inspired by some mapping bots from back in the early days of SL. The information gathered at first was basic parcel gathering. Since then it's increased to traffic levels, available abandoned land, and even a new feature of trending attachments.

The ACTUAL BB's are 100% completely harmless. They do not stalk people. They do not follow you. Aside from BB prime they will NOT talk to you.

If you feel like a BB is stalking you or threatens you in any way, please do report to LL immediately. This is not an actual BB but someone posing as one.

"inspired"..... a"at first" .... "since"....so what you say is ; they do nothing ?

just bothering people for fun?

If that is is a yes... stop it.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

"inspired"..... a"at first" .... "since"....so what you say is ; they do nothing ?

just bothering people for fun?

If that is is a yes... stop it.

How are they bothering people? They pop into a region for all of a second, gather public information, and then move on. That information is then added to a database which can be reviewed by those who know the website to do so.

19 minutes ago, bonniebelle81 said:

In all seriousness though, I'm happy to answer questions about the "original" B[xxx] bots.  We attempt to visit all regions at least once a day and are certainly not stalking anyone.  I'm sorry if we gave you guys a fright.  Quarz, I'm so sorry if we made your job moderating more difficult!  Do let me know if there's anything we can do to help.  

Yes .. one question, do you make money from collecting the region data or you just do that "voluntarily" to feel useful?

Cause if you don't make money from it.. how about finding a real hobby, maybe play tennis or knitting or swimming.

6 minutes ago, bonniebelle81 said:

No, we don't make a profit.  We play Second Life just for fun.

Ok so no profit nor an organization, just fun. You do know that each household is allowed 5 accounts and you have hundreds all over the grid.

-

Which is something that @Linden Lab or whoever represents Linden Lab should come out and explain,

why such policy exists if it's not to be enforced,  they should change the number to 200 accounts or take action.

Restrictions

Currently, you can create:

• Up to five accounts per household.
  • No more than two accounts in a single 24-hour period.

Alt accounts must adhere to all Second Life policies. For example, by agreeing to the Terms of Service (TOS) you agree to provide truthful and accurate information about yourself when you register for accounts; that includes not only your contact information and real name but also whether this is your first free basic account or a new alt (see TOS section 2.1). People who do not provide truthful information risk losing their accounts.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alt_account_policies

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skyler Pancake said:

How are they bothering people?

seeing how many posts there are about bots invading peoples "spaces" it's severe bothering in my opinion. 
For example, several people blocked open access to their land or region for it. That's quite "bothering" for fun of somebody that has as goal "some" fun.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

seeing how many posts there are about bots invading peoples "spaces" it's severe bothering in my opinion. 
For example, several people blocked open access to their land or region for it. That's quite "bothering" for fun of somebody that has as goal "some" fun.

So a small amount of the population gets bothered by a random avatar appearing on their region for a very small amount of time, not doing anything, not interacting with anything, and then leaving.

And as you pointed out if they are bothered they can easily prevent access.

So what's the harm? Seems like you're trying to provoke outrage over nothing.

58 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Exactly. Bots like that are the reason our parcels have ban lines up now, and a massive blocklist. And we have an orb that instant bans everyone. So many bots are banned already. LL should start to act on those bots pretty quick before people stop bothering with own land in second life and eventually stop using SL in whole. As I once said on another thread, there should ALWAYS be a link in the bots profile to the main account and they should list the data they collect or a link to a website, and also LL needs an application process, where bot owners need to apply for a bot license, and need to explain what they are trying to achieve with said bots.

LL has quite some rules for us residents (and that's good) but they let the bots and bot owners run free and wild as they please?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Skyler Pancake said:

Actually that's not how it is.

All of my tenants are bothered by these B**** bots and made complaints to me thinking that these avatars are stalkers.

So my first thought was to allow Region access only to those who have payment info.
The problem is that by doing so, potential customers who don't have such info can no longer enter my region to rent
and also friends or visitors of my tenants who also won't have pay info can no longer visit.

I understand that i have to tolerate whatever Linden Lab policies say even if some are pure nonsense according to me
but what i don't understand is why do i have to tolerate and accept your "data collection" bots that make my customers
nervous, especially since those are clearly violating the "Account policies" that Linden Lab fails to enforce.

(personally idgaf what kind of data you collect cause i consider SL a game BUT money is money and those people pay me)
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Actually that's not how it is.

All of my tenants are bothered by these B**** bots and made complaints to me thinking that these avatars are stalkers.

So my first thought was to allow Region access only to those who have payment info.
The problem is that by doing so, potential customers who don't have such info can no longer enter my region to rent
and also friends or visitors of my tenants who also won't have pay info can no longer visit.

I understand that i have to tolerate whatever Linden Lab policies say even if some are pure nonsense according to me
but what i don't understand is why do i have to tolerate and accept your "data collection" bots that make my customers
nervous, especially since those are clearly violating the "Account policies" that Linden Lab fails to enforce.

(personally idgaf what kind of data you collect cause i consider SL a game BUT money is money and those people pay me)

Yeah maybe it's time for LL to add a new thing like "Don't allow automated avatars" for parcel and region access settings. But I can also imagine this one would be pretty tricky to do for LL. (⁠・⁠_⁠・⁠;⁠)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Yeah maybe it's time for LL to add a new thing like "Don't allow automated avatars" for parcel and region access settings. But I can also imagine this one would be pretty tricky to do for LL. (⁠・⁠_⁠・⁠;⁠)

Yes that would be a good IF bots were registered as bots, usually they aren't although run on whatever automated software.

3 hours ago, SparkleSpice said:

Something that the B[xxxx]'s do is provide real-time data for the active users of secondlife.

One good example of this is a "Big Giant Rez-Day Board" that was created with the intent to spread a little bit of joy on their rez-day!

And where is this real time data available for all of us active users.  If this is the case, each bot should have that stated in their profile.  We all know about a couple legitimate survey bot websites.  Is this one a secret or are you just assuming?

• Like 1

As I was counting over 450 bot accounts over the years, excluding all bots with a documented purpose (that's two if you must know), I'm waiting for a serious attempt to publish purpose, scope and collected data from this bot horde before I'd remove them from my orb system. And those "at least once a day" visits can often amount to something like eight  per monitored place. That puts this specific bot group on the top of the nuisance visitor lists by a wide margin. I'd easily be equally if not more happy if they just get retired. Thank you.

Note, an unpublished purpose may be as sensible as happy sunshine, but as long as it stays unpublished it's indistinguishable from any other random abusive resource hogging for us.

2 hours ago, Skyler Pancake said:

So a small amount of the population gets bothered by a random avatar appearing on their region for a very small amount of time, not doing anything, not interacting with anything, and then leaving.

Can't you make them invisible and still do their job? Seems an easy solution.

Invisible people still show up on the radar and the visitor log makers & get ejected by orbs.

I would also love to see all the data this person is gathering just for "fun".  Are you making one of them HUD's that tells people where avatars are on the grid?

Actually, when people put up ban lines and close of land or allow payment info only that ruins the SL experience for a lot of people, be it car drivers, boat sailors, airplane flyers or just simple visitors to the land.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Invisible people still show up on the radar and the visitor log makers & get ejected by orbs.

I would also love to see all the data this person is gathering just for "fun".  Are you making one of them HUD's that tells people where avatars are on the grid?

Actually, when people put up ban lines and close of land or allow payment info only that ruins the SL experience for a lot of people, be it car drivers, boat sailors, airplane flyers or just simple visitors to the land.

Yes but people using the radar to track others around a sim, are doing their own form of data collection so hard to complain about others doing it. Bots meanwhile don't get nervous, they just eject after a set time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.