Picking a home location

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Right now, I use a location that starts with a B and is a ferry terminal. This location has become home to a bunch of white supremacist types. Most of whom daily create new accounts just to hang out in this sim.

Is anyone aware if LL is aware and doing anything about these kind of users? ARing doesn't appear to do anything.

I haven't used my account in a few years, so I think I missed a few years of history here with Infohubs and these kinds of people. Any recommendations on a better infohub to set as a home location?

[ Update ] Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. You have all been really helpful.

Edited by Mark Sparkle
update
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mark Sparkle said:

Right now, I use a location that starts with a B and is a ferry terminal. This location has become home to a bunch of white supremacist types. Most of whom daily create new accounts just to hang out in this sim.

Is anyone aware if LL is aware and doing anything about these kind of users? ARing doesn't appear to do anything.

I haven't used my account in a few years, so I think I missed a few years of history here with Infohubs and these kinds of people. Any recommendations on a better infohub to set as a home location?

I used to use Sky Beam to set home.  

https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/42578/skybeam-community-center-set-home-here-free

• Like 6

Some places like clubs, shops and games will allow you to set your Home Location on their land. Some have signs up telling you and others expect you to find out on your own.

Not all the Info Hubs will have the same clowns. But each seems to have its share of jerks.

When I was homeless in SL 😢 I set the viewer to use Last Location. So I logged into wherever I was when I logged out. I didn't have to deal with the Info Hub crowd.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, shireena1 said:

This information could be useful, but I do not know how up to date it is.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Infohub

Of all the active ones on the list only Hanja no longer has map marked info hub status and you can't set home there. Zebrasil, the other one in Jeogeot is good you can play the Glytches game there and you're right next to Michael Linden's home in Shamon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

I think Caledon Oxbridge University had an area where people could set home (and they also had dressing rooms available to use). 

We still do. If you join the University Scholars group, you can set Home to the rose garden in the center of the campus or the chat circle in Oxbridge Village. Male and female dressing rooms high in the sky are also available.

There are changing rooms at New Resident Island too. There also used to be a treehouse you could set as your Home position, but I am not sure if that is included in the recently remodeled build.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Some places like clubs, shops and games will allow you to set your Home Location on their land. Some have signs up telling you and others expect you to find out on your own.

Not all the Info Hubs will have the same clowns. But each seems to have its share of jerks.

When I was homeless in SL 😢 I set the viewer to use Last Location. So I logged into wherever I was when I logged out. I didn't have to deal with the Info Hub crowd.

^ This. I've found some amazing places around the coast of Satori recently where you can join for free set Home there, use their buildings and furniture, and rez stuff.  Just be sure to clean up after yourself.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mark Sparkle said:

No, they won't; not unless they are ARed doing something really egregious.

On the other hand, the reason they infest infohubs is because no one else will have them.

In addition to the suggestions above, my alt used the Ivory Tower of Prims for a while as home. I never had issues there.

You can also, I think, use at least some parts of the SLRR.

• Like 3

There are places that have the land group set to open join which usually means you can set home at them. Alternatively, find a group to start hanging out with. If you aren't a jerk, it shouldn't be hard to find a friend to let you couch surf.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark Sparkle said:

You don't need to have a home location at all. You can just set things up so you log into the last location you were at.

And in the years of history you missed, people were doing exactly the same things at Infohubs, only probably worse.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You don't need to have a home location at all. You can just set things up so you log into the last location you were at.

And in the years of history you missed, people were doing exactly the same things at Infohubs, only probably worse.

True, but I can handle myself so I don't mind starting my SL day at the Ungren infohub... most of the time LOL. Some of you have advised me to park in other locations, like Nova Albion. I also begin some days in Pullman (not as often as the first few months of my SL existence last year but it's fun to hang with the dwarfs at the nearby Lewis Forest).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

In addition to this, if you add landmarks to your Favorites bar (on Firestorm, at least, not sure about the official viewer) they will also show up in your dropdown on the login screen. So, for example, I can just log in starting at Builders Brewery, which is convenient!

Edited by skepwith
Stop! Grammar time
  • Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.