To AR Is Human . . .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeah, I have reported a few ToS violations from land flippers in-world.

The giant rotating particle spewing billboards that violate four or five rules get a click from me every time I see them and, as of yet, I've not seen one of those there more than two days after reporting them.

For the most part my reports in SL are all the phishing links spammed to groups and people who think having an avatar of a realistic adult woman in a world of eight-foot-tall giants makes me part of their sick fantasies.

I warn them, though, right in my "limits" pick I tell them if they even mention *that* subject I will AR them in a heartbeat...

But I still get about one a week who tries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

never use AR in the forums for the simple fact that it never occurred to me that it was a thing.

heck I rarely AR in world just things that are blatantly disruptive (huge prim in a rez area blocking a linden road that is being sat on to keep it from it being auto retuned) or blatantly destructive (self replicating prims crashers that sort of thing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did AR some spam once but apart from that,
Never reported or AR'd, any person for any reason.
10+ years of  frootloop-ish accusations of being FIC, LWL, blah blah blah....
and one starts to believe one is actually.... *lil cough... somewhat... exalted. 👀
Thereby removing the need for such tawdry, petulant, irksome actions.
This thread may now continue.....
RoyalWavew200.gif.23f005a1547692d7260dc5fc9a99046c.gif  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The rules must help a lot in deciding whether forum reports are valid:

- Is it a personal conflict? Doesn't matter who's right, if it is leading to a bad outcome (multiple posts and/or reports)

- Is it off-topic? Doesn't matter what the off-topic is, if it is leading to a bad outcome (multiple posts and/or reports)

- Is it a contentious or "forbidden" thread or post (politics, adult in non-adult forum, etc.)?

- Is it a "wrong-forum" thread or post?

etc.

I guess my question is, assuming "we" know the rules, do we report well and correctly using that knowledge, do we over-report and waste the limited moderator resource, or do we under-report and let chaos reign (requiring more work for moderators once the wheels fly off the bus)? (*Edit* Or, do we add to the problem by posting things that escalate issues?)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I did AR some spam once but apart from that,
Never reported or AR'd, any person for any reason.
10+ years of  frootloop-ish accusations of being FIC, LWL, blah blah blah....
and one starts to believe one is actually.... *lil cough... somewhat... exalted. 👀
Thereby removing the need for such tawdry, petulant, irksome actions.
This thread may now continue.....
RoyalWavew200.gif.23f005a1547692d7260dc5fc9a99046c.gif  

I couldn't help noticing the Exalted one is on a..high horse.

Versus in the Monty Python version, you can pick out the King as the one not covered in "poop" (or merely mud). 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There are others here who have voiced suspicions that this or that person (or "coterie") is persecuting them with ARs. And they too can't know that for a fact.

There was definitely a time when forum reports were weaponized by a select group in the forums, even up until just a few years ago. I have a number of suspensions and warning points from those days, and have never received any further, despite my behavior not changing. At the time I may have been able to guess who they were. These days, I can't remember.

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In the Forum's worst and most toxic era, ca. 2009-11, one of the problems was that the moderation was terribly ineffective. And I think that one of the reasons for that was that the mods would sort of poke their noses in once in a while, respond quickly to ARs (or whatever we called them in those days, it was something different), and then leave. They didn't, I think, have any real understanding of what was happening here, and how reports were being weaponized.

It didn't stop in 2011, although it was certainly worse back then. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The rules must help a lot in deciding whether forum reports are valid:

- Is it a personal conflict? Doesn't matter who's right, if it is leading to a bad outcome (multiple posts and/or reports)

- Is it off-topic? Doesn't matter what the off-topic is, if it is leading to a bad outcome (multiple posts and/or reports)

- Is it a contentious or "forbidden" thread or post (politics, adult in non-adult forum, etc.)?

- Is it a "wrong-forum" thread or post?

etc.

I guess my question is, assuming "we" know the rules, do we report well and correctly using that knowledge, do we over-report and waste the limited moderator resource, or do we under-report and let chaos reign (requiring more work for moderators once the wheels fly off the bus)? (*Edit* Or, do we add to the problem by posting things that escalate issues?)

I swear I am going to start stamping it in huge letters on everyone's forehead, so they have to read it every morning when they look in the mirror to brush their teeth.

When in doubt, LET THE LINDENS SORT IT OUT.

It's only what they have been telling us for 19 years!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I swear I am going to start stamping it in huge letters on everyone's forehead, so they have to read it every morning when they look in the mirror to brush their teeth.

Yes - but the reason I listed the "rules" is not strictly about "why we should AR" but because, whenever a Linden or Mole posts about a thread, they remind us of specific "rules"!  The most obvious are staying on topic, and not getting personal.  

My point is: If we ourselves stick to the "rules" then everything should be OK. We can't control other people so much.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes - but the reason I listed the "rules" is not strictly about "why we should AR" but because, whenever a Linden or Mole posts about a thread, they remind us of specific "rules"!  The most obvious are staying on topic, and not getting personal.  

My point is: If we ourselves stick to the "rules" then everything should be OK. We can't control other people so much.

If everyone stuck to the rules, we wouldn't need mods or a reporting system.

• Like 4

I didn't even know that ARing a forum post ws a thing. I've flagged a few in the past, but only for spam, or when a post needs moving to a differnt category.

In-world, I have rarely submittrd any ARs. Once for a breach of Bellisseria covenant (a house full of KittyCats - animal hoarding is bad, mmmkay?) Huge spinning For Sale signs on Mainland. Merchants forcing me onto their subscribo list against my will and failing to take me off it.  And once when someone with a kid avatar tried to coerce me into visiting a sex sim with him. 

For the most part, eject, ban, block and derender are sufficient.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

"When in doubt" does not mean that common sense is strictly forbidden. If a situation can be resolved by blocking someone, just block them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I didn't even know that ARing a forum post ws a thing. I've flagged a few in the past, but only for spam, or when a post needs moving to a differnt category.

In-world, I have rarely submittrd any ARs. Once for a breach of Bellisseria covenant (a house full of KittyCats - animal hoarding is bad, mmmkay?) Huge spinning For Sale signs on Mainland. Merchants forcing me onto their subscribo list against my will and failing to take me off it.  And once when someone with a kid avatar tried to coerce me into visiting a sex sim with him. 

For the most part, eject, ban, block and derender are sufficient.

Technically it is just "reporting" posts or threads (via "3 dots" in the upper right of the post).  People in the thread seem to be using "AR" as a catch-all.

(Discussing "moderation" is off-limits, this is really all about "reporting".)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I suppose this must be a thing? Certainly there are people who post in order to elicit a response: arguably, that's almost the definition of trolling.

I sometimes need to watch myself. Last night I posted a very visceral response to something, for which I probably could have been ARed (for use of an obscenity). The whole thread disappeared pretty quickly, and so far as I know, there were no consequences -- but I regret the tone of my response. I'm every bit as susceptible as anyone else to be poked into an over-the-top answer. I don't like myself when I sound like that. And it does make me vulnerable to an AR.

I liked your honest, visceral response, and felt it appropriately expressed anger at someone who was basically equating you to a breeding machine! I had a bit of a laughing fit over it as it was so honest and shocking, and also not like you in terms of presenting such anger. I would have commented but it was late and my punchiness overtook me as I laughed myself to sleep   :)

I understand though, we have to be careful, as often these types of people who attempt to evoke anger in others feel they got the response they wanted (yes it is a kind of trolling or griefing), and also it leaves us open to being the ones who are AR'ed when we respond in anger, even if justified.

The next day when I saw the thread poofed I felt annoyed because I really wanted to discuss the 14th amendment with a few on another thread who had become a bit 'lawyer-ish' regarding the founding of the US. I have never quite understood States rights vs Federal rights, and how it plays into the abortion fiasco here, but the new information at the link I posted caused the issues to begin to make sense.  It's a shame we often can't have civil discussions because some choose to troll instead of discuss.

Edited by Kiera Clutterbuck
  • Like 4

I’ve only ever ARd two people…one was crashing a RFL event I was at with giant prims, and the other was openly talking about doing, well, one of the worst things a person can get convicted of. Both got banned really quickly, so the system does work!

It’s a bit silly that people AR others for things like leaving cars on their land, though IMO :S  I never even ARd people shooting me in the sandbox…it was more hassle filling in the report than being pinged up and down...🥴 Besides...I had my Dopestyle HUD 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I’ve only ever ARd two people…one was crashing a RFL event I was at with giant prims, and the other was openly talking about doing, well, one of the worst things a person can get convicted of. Both got banned really quickly, so the system does work!

It’s a bit silly that people AR others for things like leaving cars on their land, though IMO :S  I never even ARd people shooting me in the sandbox…it was more hassle filling in the report than being pinged up and down...🥴 Besides...I had my Dopestyle HUD 😎

The main topic of the thread is actually about reporting Forum posts, if you've got thoughts on that also!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
extra words
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

The main topic of the thread is actually about reporting people about Forum posts, if you've got thoughts on that also!

Oh...only when they complain about pineapple on pizza 😉

And a few of my own posts, but that's only because they won't give us a delete button! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I can't imagine filing an AR in-world on something that happened in the forums. I rarely report anything. I think it's been years since I've used the tools. Compared to how wild the forums were in the past there really isn't much to report. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I can't imagine filing an AR in-world on something that happened in the forums. I rarely report anything. I think it's been years since I've used the tools. Compared to how wild the forums were in the past there really isn't much to report. 

Even though Scylla used the term AR, I'm pretty sure she did not mean the inworld AR system, but rather the "Report" function that you access via the "..." in the upper right of each post.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I've reserve this feature exclusively for lunatic griefers who post multiple instances of the same psychotic nonsense, usually in the weekends, when the forum mods are away.

Idea:  If we could add "notes" that showed up under someone's profile picture (just like their "Member Title"), we could just put "Lunatic Griefer" (<<== example only) so that would be a reminder for you, whenever you see their posts! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Idea:  If we could add "notes" that showed up under someone's profile picture (just like their "Member Title"), we could just put "Lunatic Griefer" (<<== example only) so that would be a reminder for you, whenever you see their posts! 

Anyone I perceive as a lunatic griefer is probably so obvious that I don't need reminding. For the rest, I prefer to allow myself to forget past transgressions and hope I'm offered the same grace by others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Anyone I perceive as a lunatic griefer is probably so obvious that I don't need reminding. For the rest, I prefer to allow myself to forget past transgressions and hope I'm offered the same grace by others.

Oh, great! On behalf of us repeat offenders, I thank you!

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.