To AR Is Human . . .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Somebody found one from 2008 😮 slagging off Facebook and privacy concerns...which seemed like it could have been written last year...lol. 

Sometimes people revive old music threads and it's eerie seeing mentions of live venues from 10-12 years ago, or Myspace, and hardly any of them exist anymore...or talk about 2000s music like grime when it was actually happening. It's like another world that's disappeared forever.

Would you like to know how many "worlds" I've had to watch "disappear" over 5 decades? It's a wonder I've stuck around this long.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

uses it as a way of talking about some topic that was very recently shut down in another thread.

I think we should give a little space for people to process their emotions from a thread that was shut down, as some people can be quite invested in a thread.  It shouldn't go on too long though, or in a hostile manner. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

I think we should give a little space for people to process their emotions from a thread that was shut down, as some people can be quite invested in a thread.  It shouldn't go on too long though, or in a hostile manner. 

Please tell me that is a joke.

Was going to type lots more.  Made myself not do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

, it is more those times when the side discussions become the main point for many pages and folks just won't let it go.  IMO, those are the times when the off-topic is pushed onto the realm of "it needs to be stopped".

I disagree as that is what happens in every conversation. They always drift away from whatever topic started the conversation. Sometimes they drift back to the OT. More often than not, they don't. Because everyone wants to put their 2cents in.

Maybe the real problem lies in the fact that some want to discuss things while others want to debate them. I don't see the SL forums as a place for debates.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
OT not OP
  • Like 1

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:
3 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

Please tell me that is a joke.

Was going to type lots more.  Made myself not do it.

If I told you it was a joke I would be lying, so I cannot tell you that.

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

I disagree as that is what happens in every conversation. They always drift away from whatever topic started the conversation. Sometimes they drift back to the OP. More often than not, they don't. Because everyone wants to put their 2cents in.

I figure if a side topic is getting that much interest and posts, then someone should just start up a new thread about it and let the original topic go back to what it was.  It seems much more respectful to the OP that way.

7 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

Someone else's thread is not the place for you or anyone else to be processing your emotions on something that happened outside of that thread.  If you want to process you emotions about thread closures, start up a thread for Emotions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
9 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

Someone else's thread is not the place for you or anyone else to be processing your emotions on something that happened outside of that thread.  If you want to process you emotions about thread closures, start up a thread for Emotions.

I'm sorry, LittleMe, but that seems pretty rigid. We aren't actually supposed to start a thread about a thread that closed, and so some go to the Peeve thread and usually just make a couple comments. I don't see the harm in such a minor event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I figure if a side topic is getting that much interest and posts, then someone should just start up a new thread about it and let the original topic go back to what it was.  It seems much more respectful to the OP that way.

I tried that to prevent the Pet Peeve thread going too far offside and the thread was quickly shut down.

18 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Create a new thread to continue a current conversation so the old conversation in the old thread dies a slow agonizing death. 

Seems pointless to me. Especially when there can be several conversations going on in the same thread. Do we really want to clutter up the forum with tons of two-page threads that will just sink into oblivion forever or contain it to just one thread that people can jump in or out of at will? Personally, I prefer to not clutter things up. It makes life messier than need be.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

However, it is more those times when the side discussions become the main point for many pages and folks just won't let it go. 

I have a solution for this!

Make Forum pages longer, more posts for each page (default, not by preferences).

Brilliant!

821A8ACF-76F9-4062-A754-560A58D92A68.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Would you like to know how many "worlds" I've had to watch "disappear" over 5 decades? It's a wonder I've stuck around this long.

Worlds have been disappearing since the internet began.  Sure, I miss some of them, but others are better off gone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

Worlds have been disappearing since the internet began.  Sure, I miss some of them, but others are better off gone.

I wasn't referring to the internet. There's a reason for using quotation marks on words and it isn't always dialog in a book.

14 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

By free thinker I mean in part, this:

The example you provided speaks to how an individual within a business can become more innovative. They claim 97% stay stuck and don't innovate while the 3% think outside the box and create successful novel approaches to problems.

In order to innovate and be in that 3% category one has to grasp the current state of knowledge though; one can't leap into something new if they have no idea what presently exists or is in the process of being discovered. This feature applies to both desirable changes in business and desired changes to society, and even to the changes we contemplate regarding AR's and how they should be used on the forum here.

To change, to innovate, necessitates perusing tons of tentatively settled discoveries, or the current theories in science painstakingly discovered by trained professionals. Yet time and again I witness a pooh-poohing of this established knowledge, labeling it "fake" with the belief it is part of some elite and nefarious conspiracy seeking only to gain control, and then a latching on to some cockamamie theory coming out of nowhere without any grounding, without any floor with which to leap from that is necessary for innovation.

I'll give you an example of myself as I contemplate a forum that could be better, one that I imagine might have less need for AR's if threads were allowed to drift into any old topic without being AR'ed. I may want this, I may see it as valuable to my interests and love of spontaneity, but I really have no grounding to insist my way is better because I don't know what happened in the past here which caused them to set these rules. My thoughts of innovation could very well create disaster if put into practice, as the amount of civility we do see on the forum results from a degree of control, and part of that control might be the partial on-topic enforcement occurring here.

In other words, there is established knowledge here I'm unaware of, just as there is established knowledge in the soft and hard sciences most are unaware of. I can't really innovate if I'm unaware of the facts with which to leap from anymore than one can be a part of that 3% the video speaks to unless there is a grounding in established knowledge. Otherwise the leap is just 'pie in the sky'.

Edited by Kiera Clutterbuck
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

By free thinker I mean in part, this:

Rulken is engaging and funny in "The Majority is always wrong". He said nothing I haven't heard before elsewhere, but he did it well.

I also watched his "Strategic Quitting" talk, in which he delivers a synopsis of Seth Godin's "The Dip".

Following is fine, but it's not proof of free thinking.

Given the nature of his work, I wondered what he had to say about brainstorming, a topic of interest to me. Google took me right to his website...

https://www.paulrulkens.com/brainstorming-done-right/

Rulken's brainstorming criticisms have been mainstream for decades, but miss the most important idea, that brainstorming should be an adjunct to individual creativity, not the primary source. This was known by the creator of brainstorming, Alex Osborn, but somehow forgotten.

https://www.inc.com/the-build-network/the-real-don-draper-invented-brainstorming-but-he-did-it-wrong.html

Osborn was not as wrong as claimed in that article, but he was more wrong than Rulken's advice can fix. Rulken would do well to read Paul Paulus' research.

Circling back, Rulken's TED talk title was an incomplete quote from Henrik Ibsen...

"The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right."

Ibsen's wry observation recognizes the complexities of life that I mentioned previously. Rulken seems both too confident in the minority and too sure he's in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.