Thoughts on LL's recent "How to Update Your Avatar's Body" series showcasing brand name mesh bodies.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

There wasn't any smiling in Sansar -- sometimes with the typists

That wasn't smiling, it was grimacing.

I do think that LL are stuck between a rock and a hard place on this issue though. The most common question asked by new residents is "how do I get my avatar to look like everyone else?" and it needs to be addressed, and the only way to do that right now is by referencing commercial bodies. And like it or not, Maitreya is the way to go for women. They should have chosen Jake for guys though.

I do hope they make more videos referencing other bodies though, and then, as soon as NUX is available, delete them all and reference only their own.

• Like 2

If you had to explain what a fast food chain is and how it works, what company would you choose as example? 
I would go for McD or KFC with thousands of .. eh .. restaurants and not so much Pablo's Pancakes with 15 of them.

Exactly what LL did as well when trying to explain how a mesh body works.
They chose the marked leaders as example.
Nothing wrong with that IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

LL is right, they do promote the better bodies. There are so many ugly vulgar bodies being created that will only be a passing fad. If I were to recommend a mesh body to someone, I would recommend Maitreya as it is the best body (quality and price) and the one with the most good products and good  deals (although I use Legacy now). It won't go out of fashion in 6 months as I hope it will for all those ugly bodies that have been popping up in SL lately.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

.. can we not do body shaming in SL please.

Especially, and I can't believe I have to point this out, we make our avatars for ourselves.

What you do with your avatar affects everyone's experience. I'm not shaming anyone, I'm just saying what I think about these trends that I think are killing SL. If I discovered SL today, I don't think I'd get hooked. So it's a good thing that LL promote mesh bodies that enhance the visual experience of everyone.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Cherry0Sanae said:

What you do with your avatar affects everyone's experience. I'm not shaming anyone, I'm just saying what I think about these trends that I think are killing SL. If I discovered SL today, I don't think I'd get hooked. So it's a good thing that LL promote mesh bodies that enhance the visual experience of everyone.

tYopoJD.png

People having fun with "ugly vulgar bodies" is not killing SL. 

Don't like it. Don't get one.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

tYopoJD.png

People having fun with "ugly vulgar bodies" is not killing SL. 

Don't like it. Don't get one.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but many people think like me. This trend of ugliness is killing SL ! An avatar full of dazzling bling ruins my visual experience, just as some avatars deliberately created to be ugly do the same.

Have a good day anyway.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Cherry0Sanae said:

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but many people think like me. This trend of ugliness is killing SL ! An avatar full of dazzling bling ruins my visual experience, just as some avatars deliberately created to be ugly do the same.

Have a good day anyway.

There’s Ugly avatars (subjective) & then there are ….…ugly personalities.  🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Cherry0Sanae said:

these trends that I think are killing SL.

Drat, my master plan has yet again been foiled.  Long have I sought revenge against you tall ones, only to have such plans ruined at the last moment.  You may have won the battle Cherry0Sanae, but the war is far from over!  🤣  One day us small folk will roam freely, no longer having to fear the oppressive heels that strike at us from above.. You may have air superiority, but we have spirit!

dick_dastardly_0.png

Next on the bucket list to bring down the tall ones, breedables, breedables for everyone :D

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Cherry0Sanae said:

Have a good day anyway.

No, it's actually people with your type of attitude that are ruining the SL experience for many people.   As someone mentioned, people often fashion their avatars after themselves in RL.  Are less than perfect people ruining your RL experience, too?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cherry0Sanae said:

LL is right, they do promote the better bodies. There are so many ugly vulgar bodies being created that will only be a passing fad. If I were to recommend a mesh body to someone, I would recommend Maitreya as it is the best body (quality and price) and the one with the most good products and good  deals (although I use Legacy now). It won't go out of fashion in 6 months as I hope it will for all those ugly bodies that have been popping up in SL lately.

May we please see pictures of your avatar? It would be helpful to see the standard by which we should compare, in order to better understand your point of view. Thank you! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

Drat, my master plan has yet again been foiled.  Long have I sought revenge against you tall ones, only to have such plans ruined at the last moment.  You may have won the battle Cherry0Sanae, but the war is far from over!  🤣  One day us small folk will roam freely, no longer having to fear the oppressive heels that strike at us from above.. You may have air superiority, but we have spirit!

dick_dastardly_0.png

Next on the bucket list to bring down the tall ones, breedables, breedables for everyone :D

Snidely Whiplash, IIRC!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

No, it's actually people with your type of attitude that are ruining the SL experience for many people.   As someone mentioned, people often fashion their avatars after themselves in RL.  Are less than perfect people ruining your RL experience, too?

You don't even know my attitude in SL... You judge me on my attitude which you don't know... How should I judge this attitude of yours?
Anyway, this topic is not about attitudes but about the mesh bodies that LL promotes.

47 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

May we please see pictures of your avatar? It would be helpful to see the standard by which we should compare, in order to better understand your point of view. Thank you! 

I use Legacy classic with standart proportions... But I'm not talking about standart, I'm talking about this trend of very vulgar avatars that has appeared recently. They hurt my eyes as much as an avatar covered in bling. 

1 minute ago, Cherry0Sanae said:

You don't even know my attitude in SL... You judge me on my attitude which you don't know... How should I judge this attitude of yours?
Anyway, this topic is not about attitudes but about the mesh bodies that LL promotes.

You've made your attitude/opinion quite clear.  "Ugly" people ruin your SL experience.  

Anyway, you have a lovely day and remember...you can always derender those who offend your visual senses if you're using Firestorm!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Cherry0Sanae said:

After being around for a good while, it's easy to get a feel for what is going to fade away and what is going to stick..

If the bigger hip and breast sized ones are the ones you are referring to.. I'm sorry to shatter your hopes, but a couple of them have pretty much found their niche in the market and gaining ground.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

They're ugly as sin. Not at all comparable to the paid bodies. You might as well stick with system.

I'm not going to get into that discussion about what is ugly and what isn't. I do actually see and accept your point to some degree but it's a complicated matter.

However, now that you've seen Jaylinbridges' pictures I hope you agree that a Ruth 2 body isn't necessarily ugly by any standard.

A mesh body's look is a combination of the body shape, the skin and the mesh body itself. Any mesh body looks bad if it's paired with a body shape that doesn't fit and it takes a while to find good solutions there. I bought my first Maitreya body the day it was released and it was exactly the same situation with it back then as it has been with Ruth 2 recently. People had to figure out how to make matching body shapes before they could look good (regardless of what you think of a "good" and "bad").

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Cherry0Sanae said:

... very vulgar avatars ...

Vulgar? Not sure how to define that.

One man's fish is another man's poisson, after all. 

I'm an artist and appreciate when human avatars have realistic proportions. However ...

I'm also like the late Roger Ebert and his ability to appreciate the quality of movies even in genres he didn't like (i.e., horror) and can appreciate the effort put into creating any type of well-done avatar, even if they are not to my personal taste.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

However, now that you've seen Jaylinbridges' pictures I hope you agree that a Ruth 2 body isn't necessarily ugly by any standard.

I do not agree. The thing is two triangles on a stick. Especially with whatever cheap/dollarbie skin is on it, it points out the lack of refinement even the most basic of paid bodies have. Hell, even the Lucybody looks better, for all its inadequacies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

How do I get a promotional video made about my products by the people that run the platform? Who do I gotta pay off, @Linden Lab?

All you have to do is make the market leader in your field for the last near-decade. (My earliest picture with the Maitreya Lara on flickr is in 2015. The earliest youtube video I can find featuring it is late 2014.)

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.