Thoughts on LL's recent "How to Update Your Avatar's Body" series showcasing brand name mesh bodies.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As was shown by Lucia Nightfire in this thread 

As of June 11 2022, these were the top 20 mesh bodies she saw in her store. The last # in parenthesis indicated what the projected ranking will be in the next year, based on a statistical analysis of collected data.

[snip]

Here is what it looks like for today:

Rank # | Model Name | Count | % (Count / 353116) | Next 30d | Next 90d | Next 180d | Next 360d

#1 | Maitreya - Lara | 124609 | 35.2% | 127354 (#1) | 132844 (#1) | 141079 (#1) | 157549 (#1)
#2 | Signature - Gianni | 28616 | 8.1% | 29048 (#2) | 29912 (#2) | 31208 (#2) | 33800 (#2)
#3 | Belleza - Jake | 19786 | 5.6% | 20434 (#3) | 21730 (#3) | 23674 (#3) | 27562 (#3)
#4 | MeshBody - Legacy (Female) | 18165 | 5.1% | 18900 (#4) | 20370 (#4) | 22575 (#4) | 26985 (#4)
#5 | Inithium - Kupra | 12560 | 3.5% | 13038 (#5) | 13995 (#5) | 15431 (#5) | 18302 (#5)
#6 | MeshBody - Classic (Female) | 11368 | 3.2% | 11893 (#6) | 12943 (#6) | 14518 (#6) | 17668 (#6)
#7 | MeshBody - Legacy (Athletic Male) | 9796 | 2.7% | 10254 (#7) | 11172 (#7) | 12549 (#7) | 15303 (#7)
#8 | MeshBody - Legacy (Male) | 9047 | 2.5% | 9488 (#8) | 10370 (#8) | 11693 (#8) | 14339 (#8)
#9 | LucyBody - Atenea | 7931 | 2.2% | 8337 (#9) | 9150 (#9) | 10369 (#9) | 12808 (#9)
#10 | MeshBody - Classic (Male) | 7299 | 2.0% | 7557 (#10) | 8073 (#10) | 8847 (#11) | 10395 (#12)
#11 | Belleza - Freya | 7285 | 2.0% | 7366 (#11) | 7528 (#12) | 7771 (#12) | 8257 (#13)
#12 | MeshBody - Legacy Perky | 6860 | 1.9% | 7197 (#12) | 7872 (#11) | 8885 (#10) | 10910 (#11)
#13 | Niramyth - Aesthetic Mesh Body | 6656 | 1.8% | 6731 (#13) | 6881 (#13) | 7106 (#14) | 7556 (#14)
#14 | Slink - Male | 4390 | 1.2% | 4478 (#14) | 4655 (#15) | 4920 (#15) | 5451 (#17)
#15 | Utilizator - Kemono | 4155 | 1.1% | 4245 (#16) | 4425 (#16) | 4695 (#18) | 5235 (#18)
#16 | Slink - Hourglass | 4011 | 1.1% | 4095 (#17) | 4263 (#18) | 4515 (#19) | 5019 (#19)
#17 | eBODY - Curvy | 3926 | 1.1% | 4059 (#18) | 4326 (#17) | 4726 (#16) | 5527 (#16)
#18 | eBODY - Reborn | 3782 | 1.0% | 4443 (#15) | 5766 (#14) | 7750 (#13) | 11719 (#10)
#19 | Sweet's - Ruth | 3761 | 1.0% | 3918 (#19) | 4233 (#19) | 4706 (#17) | 5651 (#15)
#20 | Signature - Geralt | 3051 | 0.8% | 3091 (#20) | 3172 (#20) | 3294 (#20) | 3537 (#20)

The current top 2 most popular bodies listed here are Maitreya Lara and Signature Gianni, precisely the same 2 that were shown in Boston Blaisedale's videos.

The next most popular female mesh body is Legacy Female (#2), which is projected to hold this ranking. (Legacy Perky at # 12 is projected to go to # 11.) Legacy Athletic Male and Legacy Male are at # 7 & # 8 (also projected to hold that ranking). Combined as one body choice they would be at # 4. It thus makes sense that the next 2 videos would be for Legacy Female and Legacy Male, since the process would be the same for either Legacy Male or Legacy Athletic Male and for either Legacy Female or Legacy Perky.

The third most popular mesh body (which is also projected to hold this position) is Belleza Jake. If Boston Blaisedale were to continue showing a male and female mesh body from the same creator at the same time, it might make sense to feature Belleza Jake and Belleza Freya at the same time, even though Freya is currently ranked at # 11 and projected to slip to # 13 in the coming year. 

Inithium Kupra would be the next most popular female body (# 5 on this list, but # 3 for female mesh bodies), but it's male equivalent isn't currently in the top 20. The 4th most popular male body on this list is Niramyth Aesthetic. He could do the 4th male mesh body video on either Inithium Kario or Niramyth Aestectic. 

LucyBody is the 6th most popular creator on this list, making the 9th most popular female mesh body, LucyBody Athenea. While this body is similar in shape to Maitreya Lara, it has a different enough HUD that it may warrant having a video of it's own.

eBody Reborn is # 18 on this list, but is projected to go to # 10 in the next year, so it likely warrants a video of it's own too.

Slink Male is the 4th most popular male body on this list. Slink Hourglass is currently at # 16 (projected to drop to # 19).  I think Slink Hourglass (with a mention of Slink Physique) and Slink Male should also have videos made for them. 

* Second Life is 99.9 %% made by users, so it makes sense that most videos showcasing content should show user created content. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I am always puzzled when I see these figures because at least 90 per cent of the women I encounter are wearing Maitreya. It makes me wonder where all the ones who wear the other bodies are. I suppose it must have something to do with the kinds of places I frequent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I am always puzzled when I see these figures because at least 90 per cent of the women I encounter are wearing Maitreya. It makes me wonder where all the ones who wear the other bodies are. I suppose it must have something to do with the kinds of places I frequent.

But can you tell by looking at the body if it's Maitreya Lara, LucyBody Atenea, or even Legacy Female with a Maitreya deformer?

Edited by Persephone Emerald

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

As of June 11 2022, these were the top 20 mesh bodies she saw in her store.

These numbers are not taken at my store (which doesn't exist and if it did, would only skew the data).

The data is from users seen by my bots and scripted apps traveling the grid daily to any/all venues/region themes.

Also, that data has changed since that post. Reborn is currently ranked #14 and is the best trending body, projected to be ranked #5 in a year at its current uptake. It has even matched the same daily unit increase as Maitreya - Lara for the past few days, which TBF, has had a major reduction lately, probably from users buying other brands, instead.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Lucia Nightfire said:

These numbers are not taken at my store (which doesn't exist and if it did, would only skew the data).

The data is from users seen by my bots and scripted apps traveling the grid daily to any/all venues/region themes.

I stand corrected. Thanks. It's great information.

It's a good chance those maze thighs are a good reason for the recent  Reborne boost..

I mean it's getting more popular with creators making things for it anyways.. But just little enhancements to a body like maze thighs, can have a bunch of people jumping from one body to another..

I don't have those maze things, but  I just jump back and forth between bodies when the mood hits me..

I could be on my legacy tomorrow or any of them..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's a good chance those maze thighs are a good reason for the recent  Reborne boost..

Not just squishy thighs, but also squishy breasts. 😉

The latter has taken off big time and will soon have a higher % usage by Reborn users than almost all other breast mods/types with their corresponding bodies.

I'm seeing 8.3% of Reborn users wearing squishy breasts ATM.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

The latter has taken off big time and will soon have a higher % usage by Reborn users than almost all other breast mods/types with their corresponding bodies.

Ya, they have squishy arms and even squishy belly now too.. hehehehe

I got the squishy bewbies just to check them out.. I don't wear them but thought maybe a top will come along that looks good for me to wear them..

what cracks me up is when you don't have anything on with these squishy things, it really looks creepy.. hehehe

But ya, little changes like that can start a stampede to the stores to get bodies and these addons as well as have people switching from their other body to another..

I think there are a lot that have more than just one and probably a few of the top bodies and bounce with the changes..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Yeah, they really should have incorporated a state cycling protocol.

I was saying the other day in a thread.. The one that makes the hud for adjusting the tightness to those addons, because some seem to be getting way tighter than at first..

They will be the trend setter in that markets race.

I think LL doing instructional videos about how to use mesh bodies is a great idea. And while I think Maitreya is a good choice, for reasons others have mentioned already, I assume they will make more videos showing how to use other brands too. And several brands of heads and skins.

If it was possible to make this kind of tutorial and actually teach a new user how to use any HUD to adjust any body, I think they would have done that. But I don't think you can. If you want to teach someone to use a to them new, rather complicated system, you need to be specific. And the idea that LL can't make instructional videos to help new users, because of business concerns is just like the complaints every time there is any development in SL: It ruins the market for someone. The usability of SL should come first for LL.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

The audio tracks in these videos are a cacophony, especially when listened to through headphones. The background music is way too loud, distracting and counter-productive to the purpose of the videos.

Is "anti-ASMR"?

• Haha 1

Torley Linden knew how to make popular, clear, concise instructional videos for SL. Sadly, he's gone now. Ironically, he was a musician in RL too, yet he never put any background music in any of his instructional videos, except in the intros and outros.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I mostly agree. I think the videos are indeed part of a new marketing effort. I am very glad to see LL making an effort. I think having more users can only make SL better.

Part of this may also be showing off what SL actually looks like visually. As much as it's a shallow thing, modern "gamers" want to see pretty things and many who know about SL have this idea that we're still looking like we did 15 years ago. If the average gamer sees something like a well-put-together Lara that looks attractive and realistic may help attract some new users.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Part of this may also be showing off what SL actually looks like visually. As much as it's a shallow thing, modern "gamers" want to see pretty things and many who know about SL have this idea that we're still looking like we did 15 years ago. If the average gamer sees something like a well-put-together Lara that looks attractive and realistic may help attract some new users.

There is also the point that as everything in SL is USG, there is no way to avoid appearing to endorse one creator over another. 

People were snooping Linden's outfits at SL19B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Wouldn't the "gamer" aspect also explain the music in the video? Like the background sounds / music of a "game"; forget that it has nothing to do with Second Life.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Wouldn't the "gamer" aspect also explain the music in the video? Like the background sounds / music of a "game"; forget that it has nothing to do with Second Life.

I see you've made the mistake of generalizing your experience and preference in SL with everyone's. Lots of people pay good money to stand around, dressed to the nines, listening to loud music in their headsets. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I see you've made the mistake of generalizing your experience and preference in SL with everyone's. Lots of people pay good money to stand around, dressed to the nines, listening to loud music in their headsets. 

Not usually while scripting, it's too distracting. And, I'm usually scripting. Kind of hard to build in those situations too, unless you're a mesh creator using offline tools. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not usually while scripting, it's too distracting. And, I'm usually scripting. Kind of hard to build in those situations too, unless you're a mesh creator using offline tools. 

Same. When I'm creating art, I have to have silence. People who visit my studio space are weirded out that it's so quiet. I don't/can't listen to music or radio when painting, because it takes a significant part of my mind to truly listen to music and shuts down the creative (art) side of my brain. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Same. When I'm creating art, I have to have silence. People who visit my studio space are weirded out that it's so quiet. I don't/can't listen to music or radio when painting, because it takes a significant part of my mind to truly listen to music and shuts down the creative (art) side of my brain. 

It's like the difference between sound / noise / music levels at Target vs. Wal-mart.

Most of the music at places I go in SL ends up being some kind of Techno.  Never fits my mood, TBH. (Unless I'm manic, I guess.) So I'll go to be polite and/or social, and turn down/off the music stream!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It's like the difference between sound / noise / music levels at Target vs. Wal-mart.

Most of the music at places I go in SL ends up being some kind of Techno.  Never fits my mood, TBH. (Unless I'm manic, I guess.) So I'll go to be polite and/or social, and turn down/off the music stream!

If I'm working on something and have music playing, it has to be the right music if any at all..

Sometimes it helps,  sometimes it gets in the way..

Like if I would ever make clothes or work on an image and setting up shots, I had to have really good soul on.

Something to keep the original feel going that got me started in the first place on the project..

Anything where it has to do with letters and numbers, I have to have total silence.. hehehe

• Like 2

On 7/7/2022 at 1:24 AM, Lucia Nightfire said:

They are updating for other bodies fast. Legacy got them some weeks ago, and now it is squishy thighs for Maitreya. I haven't bothered to investigate if it's boobs and arms too.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.