NUX Avatar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, Faenzo said:

@ LINDENS 

As a creator for more than 10 years now who has been working with dev kits for different bodies for so long, I must BEG you to let us try creating clothes for the body BEFORE it is released.

...so where do I sign this petition?

On a serious note - yes. LL please please please do a testing period with a bunch of creators, preferably with creators of different levels of experience, because established mesh makers and people who are just learning might have very different problems with dev kit. And that comes not just to clothes, but to body mods as well. We all need NUX projects to be a success, and for a body getting enough creator support is a huge part of it.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/24/2022 at 4:53 PM, Jenna Huntsman said:

So, as of today, Linden Lab have unveiled their new (replacement?) to the old System avatars.

The "NUX" (New User eXperience) avatar is a full-mesh, Bento-rigged avatar which will be fully slider-adjustable, and will have a male and female variant. LL also intends for a library of clothing to be launched with the avatar, which will be available for both variants.

LL have also announced that the dev kit will be available to creators who wish to make content for this new avatar.

Some photos from the launch (Male variant, modelled by @Jester Mole)

NUX Avatar 1 ("Blake")NUX Avatar 2 ("Blake")NUX Avatar 3 ("Blake")NUX Avatar 4 ("Blake")

(Taken in Alchemy (project) Viewer, 100mm lens)

Livestream of the reveal (Unveiling at 13:45)

Everyone knows about the under water caves... IIRC there is one near Barbarossa safe hub. I have seen many ester-eggs but the underwater ones are probably the easiest to find.

Edited by chibitsuya
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

Hi! I'm Eva Artemesia, owner of the tattoo and shine store THIS IS WRONG.

I would love to collaborate with the NUX avatar launch, offering a tattoo for the starter pack! And I would like to know if there is a way to apply shines on the new bodies, like these ones I am selling: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142007505@N03/51783989400/in/photolist-2nmzfL5-2mTYtVs
I can do one for free if there is some sort of scripts we can use to make it work!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Eva Artemesia said:

I would love to collaborate with the NUX avatar launch, offering a tattoo for the starter pack! And I would like to know if there is a way to apply shines on the new bodies, like these ones I am selling: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142007505@N03/51783989400/in/photolist-2nmzfL5-2mTYtVs
I can do one for free if there is some sort of scripts we can use to make it work!

Pinging an employee of LL might help get your post seen. 

@Linden Lab

@Patch Linden

@Tommy Linden

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eva Artemesia said:

This is kind of brilliant. Yay you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eva Artemesia said:

If the Lindens are remotely interested in the success of the project, the avatars will be mod perm and you can write your own scripts for applying your specularmaps, normalmaps, and all the sexy new Physically Based Rendering materials maps. (If you don't want to write your own, I'm sure there'll be open source scripts, possibly supplied with the avatars themselves as a convenient way of documenting the faces, etc., and demoing the new PBR materials when those functions are available.

All assuming, of course, that the NUX bodies will be mod perm. If they not, they're doomed anyway so not much point providing content for them.

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2022 at 7:40 PM, Da5id Weatherwax said:

See your $20 and raise you $20 that if it goes that way it will crash and burn. And they know it.

On 9/2/2022 at 7:35 PM, TimKoul said:

$20 says its going to be M A Y A

2000$ that using either Maya or Blender is going to crash it. I still advocate for an exchange format that is readable for EVERY software, like gltf. Then a software specific version for each software.

Hopefully LL will either provide it in a widely supported format like gltf or will release it in multiple formats to accommodate as many creators as possible.

If not then no doubt it won't be more than a day or two before someone goes to the trouble of converting the dev kit so it can be used in other software, SL residents are very resourceful and quite adept at stepping in and providing solutions when LL drop the ball on little details like this.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2022 at 2:53 PM, Jenna Huntsman said:

So, as of today, Linden Lab have unveiled their new (replacement?) to the old System avatars.

The "NUX" (New User eXperience) avatar is a full-mesh, Bento-rigged avatar which will be fully slider-adjustable, and will have a male and female variant. LL also intends for a library of clothing to be launched with the avatar, which will be available for both variants.

LL have also announced that the dev kit will be available to creators who wish to make content for this new avatar.

Some photos from the launch (Male variant, modelled by @Jester Mole)

NUX Avatar 1 ("Blake")NUX Avatar 2 ("Blake")NUX Avatar 3 ("Blake")NUX Avatar 4 ("Blake")

(Taken in Alchemy (project) Viewer, 100mm lens)

Livestream of the reveal (Unveiling at 13:45)

He's cute!   Hurray! 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 7:14 PM, Blaise Glendevon said:

As a starter, to learn how mesh works before you buy one of the many creator-supported bodies and heads, it might work. I'd be surprised if creators jump on the bandwagon of making clothes for an avatar used by people too cheap to buy a real mesh body or too new to know where the discerning shopper heads and what they create for. And as admirers of the Tonic bodies or the Signature Alice might tell you, you can have the finest body on the market - but if there are no clothes/skins, you're just going to wear Maitreya/Legacy/Belleza, etc. 

I do not think, too cheap is an accurate choice of words.  I think most people now are quite thrifty in their rl money and throwing it away on something that could be "poof gone" with no recourse for their money is a sign of the times.  As far as new user retention the learning curve in mesh bodies, heads and clothing it is steep... So, offering a nice way to ease people into it is greatly appreciated I am sure... So, I am not sure why you choose to use that wording, it is quite easy to think you know why others do something because your own mind only sees black and white...

There is NO REASON why someone has to drop hundreds (even 50.00) of dollars into this game to have a wonderful user experience.

Edited by LittleSparrow Skydancer
OI mean not me, Ive spent thousands and thousands over 15 years
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

The amount of users who give any percentage of a damn about mod perms is slim.

This is the reasoning that gave us all those ridiculous no-mod Premium "gifts". If the Lab pays for any in-world content to be developed, it should always, no exception, be full-perm, to provide a base for others' creativity. What commercial creators decide to do with their products is up to them. It's not surprising if they get all pissy about perms if there's a viable alternative with which we can work unencumbered by their superstitions.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

This is the reasoning that gave us all those ridiculous no-mod Premium "gifts". If the Lab pays for any in-world content to be developed, it should always, no exception, be full-perm, to provide a base for others' creativity. What commercial creators decide to do with their products is up to them. It's not surprising if they get all pissy about perms if there's a viable alternative with which we can work unencumbered by their superstitions.

That's not what you said, though. You said if the body isn't mod, it's DOA. That's incorrect, as the amount of people who would even consider needing to make major modifications of their mesh body - especially newbies and people too cheap to buy a real mesh body - are a vast majority.

Nobody cares. This board is not representative of the wants of the vast majority of SL users.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

people too cheap to buy a real mesh body

Blaise, I do wish you'd stop saying this.

SL has many people who are on fixed incomes, are having difficulties making ends meet, and so forth. That's going to become even more pronounced over the next little while, as people battle inflation, job action, and other disruptions of the economy.

There are a great many reasons why someone might not choose to drop money on a mesh body. It's surely not necessary to stigmatize them as "too cheap"? Do we really need to reinforce this kind of classist distinction?

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

That's not what you said, though. You said if the body isn't mod, it's DOA. That's incorrect, as the amount of people who would even consider needing to make major modifications of their mesh body - especially newbies and people too cheap to buy a real mesh body - are a vast majority.

Nobody cares. This board is not representative of the wants of the vast majority of SL users.

It's DOA because the whole point was supposed to be to open up the creation process, not to merely foist yet another also-ran body on users, except this one for free. Or at least I hope that was the point. Arguably, even a no-mod body from the Lab could serve some purpose if it actually froze-out more of the laggy cruft that makes up the current mesh body market, but I should hope they have higher goals than that.

I could not possibly care less if "the vast majority of SL users" don't care about no-Mod, nor what the forum regulars think. It's about what actually matters for all but the greediest merchants: getting a little creativity into the platform.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.