Old Linden Homes Are Going Away

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

50 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

It would be nice if the Moles would box up those old houses and stick them in the freebie store in Stillmans. (Modifyable, I would hope).  Then, anyone who still wants one can get one, and stick it down on mainland somewhere. 

I agree. It would be fun to see that hobbit home people talk about.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Maitimo said:

It would be nice if the Moles would box up those old houses and stick them in the freebie store in Stillmans. (Modifyable, I would hope).  Then, anyone who still wants one can get one, and stick it down on mainland somewhere. 

I'd love a Loftroom. That was always my favorite.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Marisa Starbrook said:

I'd love a Loftroom. That was always my favorite.

I went over to the Meadowbrooks yesterday to measure one up and see if I could re-create one. I noticed that they were built back when the maximum prim size was only 10m, so these homes have like 6 prims or more in the floor, another 6 in the upstairs floor and the roof, etc. These could all be done with 1 prim now. So the land impact on these things is going to be horrible.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I went over to the Meadowbrooks yesterday to measure one up and see if I could re-create one. I noticed that they were built back when the maximum prim size was only 10m, so these homes have like 6 prims or more in the floor, another 6 in the upstairs floor and the roof, etc. These could all be done with 1 prim now. So the land impact on these things is going to be horrible.

I don't mind. I would use a house for a model, and try to build some of it with my prims. Or mesh builder sets with different shapes. The fireplaces, spotlights and stairs would nobody want to keep, urggg.

• Like 3

It took me a while to find the Elderglen infohub.  Here are the SURLs to the textures if anyone's interested.

Tahoe textures: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Tahoe Springs/146/122/29

Sharete Osuma textures:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Shareta Osumai/114/187/117

Meadowbrook textures: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Meadowbrook/76/172/41

Elderglen textures: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Elderglen/138/158/30

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8

The textures are actually still pretty decent and I still use them in builds I do for myself. Unlike Belli, which only provides some of the textures they use, the old homes provide everything you need to recreate the entire build. For anyone who occasionally builds stuff for themselves it's definitely worth collecting them all before they go away. 

• Like 7

Years ago I made my own version of the Loftroom home because I wanted more prims and a yard. So built this home out on my double prim mainland.

8303f052ba457c310c3ac14ea7278f2a.jpg

05895e06254e2fda2f658a83628b4507.jpg

0dc9813d928c33a6ab7df05fe1f3bc6f.jpg

I really enjoyed this little home. I made it follow the original design in size with added on deck and skylight. I used windows and doors from a Roost home. All the prims, other than the Roost objects, are regular prims. The total LI for the build is 72, but because the build includes mesh objects the regular prims get a mesh modifier, otherwise the build would have a much higher LI count.

• Like 18

19 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Years ago I made my own version of the Loftroom home because I wanted more prims and a yard. So built this home out on my double prim mainland.

I really enjoyed this little home. I made it follow the original design in size with added on deck and skylight. I used windows and doors from a Roost home. All the prims, other than the Roost objects, are regular prims. The total LI for the build is 72, but because the build includes mesh objects the regular prims get a mesh modifier, otherwise the build would have a much higher LI count.

It looks good! I have just seen my first old Linden Homes. I have to say, it was an experience.

The meshed details really makes a house look better. Those flat prim walls with alpha textured windows in them is nothing I desire today!

And you made some walls without windows too. It is easier to decorate houses where one has control over the window placements.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

be quite a interesting challenge

whats the least number of LI can a old Linden Home be reduced to just using prims while retaining the exact look (no mesh or sculpts allowed for the challenge)

Mmmmm... no. I would need to add some mesh ;)

But interesting.

On 6/30/2022 at 8:17 AM, Blush Bravin said:

Swoon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2022 at 6:38 PM, Eddy Vortex said:

It took me a while to find the Elderglen infohub.  Here are the SURLs to the textures if anyone's interested.

Tahoe textures: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Tahoe Springs/146/122/29

Sharete Osuma textures:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Shareta Osumai/114/187/117

Meadowbrook textures: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Meadowbrook/76/172/41

Elderglen textures: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Elderglen/138/158/30

Thanks so much for posting these, Eddy!  I am lurking around the Elderglen and thinking how lovely and imaginative these small Linden Homes are!  I was never into this theme way back when but it would be wonderful to see them updated (by someone who has the skills I do not).

• Like 5

I was surprised to see the low li on these oldies. But I figured out why really fast. They use only walls without openings for windows, they use a texture with painted on alpha windows.

It is textures that creates an illusion of 3D, but every thing is flat. Of course it is because they are old. They could have used lots of prims and get real 3D, and that is what I was expecting. Houses 200-300 li or more. Instead they were way under that number.

So a 10 m long wall is only one Li. Now that we can make 64m prims, we may save a few prims here and there. But... those alpha windows are not for me. No way. So I will trash almost all the textures. I will see what I can find of textures like grass, stone, tiles and so on.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

I would love to have recreated with new materials old MEadowbrook house in what i live and if i could have that refreshed version on new 512m2 plot in Belli....i would moved in heartbeat.

I have covered some windows of mine house even now, textures what they gave are very useful but have few flaws....not all very seamless.

I have had thought make copy of this house but until now it felt pointless bc i have original. Maybe i take up that idea now again.

p.s. Space isnt problem in new houses, some are even too big. Problem is height of ceilings and floorplan of rooms.

p.s. Add here gazillion doors what some houses have......why?

Linden Home back side.jpg

Linden home left side.jpg

Linden house right side.jpg

Edited by Vihmakass
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Keiko Kiyori said:

Are the old homes even still being offered?  The whole area seems pretty abandoned.

You should be able to see what old homes are available by going to accounts.secondlife.com/land/lindenhomes/
I suspect only people with premium or plus accounts can now see what's available as my non premium alts get 

The page you requested could not be found.

Please verify that this is the page you're attempting to access. If you were sent here from another page in error, please contact customer support.

Edit: if you go to https://secondlife.com/land/lindenhomes/member.php you can see what's available. found the link via the "premium member" section of knowledgebase
Edited by Claireschen Hesten
link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

You should be able to see what old homes are available by going to accounts.secondlife.com/land/lindenhomes/
I suspect only people with premium or plus accounts can now see what's available as my non premium alts get 

The page you requested could not be found.

Please verify that this is the page you're attempting to access. If you were sent here from another page in error, please contact customer support.

Edit: if you go to https://secondlife.com/land/lindenhomes/member.php you can see what's available. found the link via the "premium member" section of knowledgebase

Also, *any* account that doesn’t currently have a Linden home can see what’s available by going to this page: https://land.secondlife.com/en-US/lindenhomes/land-selection.php 

All the old homes still show as available. 

DA52C1D4-6F2B-4ABC-AC07-F868FD650E20.jpeg

• Like 3

I guess we all have different tastes in what appeals to us. I briefly had a linden home back before Bellisseria and it just did not appeal to me at all. That is why I purchased/used mainland instead.

Years later, the Bellisseria neighborhoods came out. They really appeal to me (well some of them anyhow: trads, vics, stilts, newbrooke and sakura).

To be honest, I was surprised to learn that some people like the original Linden homes more than the Belli ones.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 1:27 PM, Maitimo said:

I was thinking the same thing, it would be fantastic to have the ability to rez one up on private property.  I recreated a Tahoe home for such a purpose, it was a lot less prims recreated, but once those homes are gone, people will not have the ability to recreate them as accurately by owning an older linden parcel.

Definitely not modern, but I do love the look of those Tahoe homes

house.png.5ccd16cba307099e5987b0495250dd3b.png

Shrunk down for my pixie avatar, on a 512 plot 💖

• Like 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.