Old Linden Homes Are Going Away

So Patch said that he would have to get rid of most of the old Linden Homes, and that LL has been "transparent" about this. Well, yeah, transparent, but opaque. Which ones? When? Etc. This seems to be coming now sooner rather than later.

As an "archivist," says Patch, he would like to keep some of the famous old builds. I hope that means the dragon above ground form/underground caves and hunts. 

He said he had an "interesting idea" for what to do with them. What is interesting about deleting them? I suppose they could do something like allow all newbies to have one for 30 days for free and then they would be bounced from them. 

The control panels don't match the rest of Bellisseria for one, so they have to go. Understood.

At the very least they should allow a one-to-one exchange. Perhaps for the pain of having to give up their long-held Linden home, those early pioneers should get to pick a new Bellisseria lot -- WITHOUT buying the premium. How's that for an idea? Of course, he'd have to say that only those people with homes before X date, the date of the announcement or whatever, could be eligible -- otherwise the Game of Homes people will rush into to get old Linden homes.

I went back and got two different ones in the last year then had to let it go due to the new application of the sales tax.

There are more people in them at times than I see in Bellisseria, which tends to have waves of people emptying out to the newest, freshest theme or regions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

IMO transparent means LL has been announcing this situation reapetedly for a long time, and again, when they have figured all  the details, they will give enough time for residents to prepare and react.

In my case (very new to SL and the forums) I decided to go premium specifically for the Linden Homes and old asian theme . I had learned before (over a year ago) that those homes where not going to remain but went for it anyway as I learned an updated version was coming too. Enjoyed it very much for some months, decided also when to stop investing time/money in decorations and then moved to enjoy other themes and bigger locations in Bellisseria, until Sakura was released. Now I got the home of my dreams I know I'm gonna stay for very loong. Always had the info I needed to plan these steps satisfactory.

Edited by OkinamiTomoe
Spelling
  • Like 7

I would hope that one of the four Nascera (old LH) continents is retained for their collective historic value.

And that the surviving Nascera continent should be retrofitted to include examples of all four of the Nascera continents house styles, their geographic features and their historic attractions.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I would hope that one of the four Nascera (old LH) continents is retained for their collective historic value.

And that the surviving Nascera continent should be retrofitted to include examples of all four of the Nascera continents house styles, their geographic features and their attractions.

The question is whether an entire continent of old Linden homes, even if rearranged (along with historic builds) is too big for what they want to sustain. I don't think it's that hard to copy and upload a sim's build and terraforming on another sim, but it is a puzzle job.

I keep wondering what Patch's "great idea' is for this that he mentioned (but didn't elaborate). Stores? Rental sims? More community sims?

Edited by Prokofy Neva

They could use the old houses for displays about the history of Second Life and Linden Homes, which would go with the museum idea. I actually hope they do move whatever they make, as it'd be nice if it connected with the rest and people could sail/fly out there. Once they cut down the regions to the special builds and examples of each home, it'll be a smaller block to move.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

So Patch said that he would have to get rid of most of the old Linden Homes, and that LL has been "transparent" about this. Well, yeah, transparent, but opaque. Which ones? When? Etc. This seems to be coming now sooner rather than later.

All of them.

About time.

14 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

As an "archivist," says Patch, he would like to keep some of the famous old builds. I hope that means the dragon above ground form/underground caves and hunts. 

Yay, more dead weight builds no one vists or uses anymore.

I get it, they were great, it was a thing, much was said and excitement was had .. but those days are long gone, and likely most of the people who cared.

• Sad 1

• Administrators

I have said more times than I can count on my hands and feet, this will come.  This is not news to most who pay attention here.

On edit:  It will be all of the old Linden Homes.  Some will be saved as mentioned.  How we go about preservation is TBD.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Coffee Pancake said:

All of them.

About time.

Yay, more dead weight builds no one vists or uses anymore.

I get it, they were great, it was a thing, much was said and excitement was had .. but those days are long gone, and likely most of the people who cared.

Out with the old and in with the new. I think its honestly better for LL and ngl I think some builds need updating from prim to mesh and maybe some lands could use a big old update from old school to stuff out today. 

1 hour ago, Patch Linden said:

I have said more times than I can count on my hands and feet, this will come.  This is not news to most who pay attention here.

On edit:  It will be all of the old Linden Homes.  Some will be saved as mentioned.  How we go about preservation is TBD.

Please save an Elderglen Infohub area where you can get a jar and play with the little fairies who will grant you their wings if caught!

It's just so cute! :)

• Like 8

I liked some of the old designs. I'd like to see a high ceiling type warehouse, open floor plan style house  as that is my preference. Then I can build to taste. Call it a studio home or whatever.

I don't prefer newer home styles or the Boston Colonial type (which i think the currents seem based on) that IMO have to many walls, to many small rooms, not my style.

Need an artist's studio, warehouse style open floor plan please. Even in my older SL home that I just abandoned, I only used one large room and ignored the rest.

I think most people are like me in the sense they have limited things in those, as they were actually quite large, but the texture scale was way out of whack. If you recycled those designs with some modern texture changes (the new houses have good scale now) I'd be interested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

The issue has never been that the Lindens haven't warned us, as we have been getting the heads up since even before the pandemic! The issue is how and when and what gets deleted. It's always been understood that existing old home residents will get another home -- the question is whether they get to pick it or not. I'm for letting them pick it, without Premium Plus.

So let's talk turkey now.

The first thing to realize about the builds and parks in the old Linden Homes is that *they are on Homesteads*. They are not full sims. They are on sims of 5000 prim capacity, and in many cases used up only half or not even two-thirds of those prims. So that's a horse of a different colour, when you consider pushing ten homesteads together, or swapping them out for full sims on which more builds could be fit, although they are far more sprawling than equivalent Bellisseria hangout areas, so that won't be reasonable. The resource drain is not as great as, say, the wondrous, epic sim of Aboretum at SL19B -- and as Dyna Mole has helpfully explained, that's not even the resource draw imagined. So if you are talking 20 homesteads to make an old Linden Homes memory lane, is that really so terrible? It's not like making "connect the continents" with full-prim coastal sims and void sims.

So my favourite is Cape Ekim with the dragon build and hunt - only 2314 out of 5000 prims used. This is my top candidate for archiving -- if that means "displaying in a museum," not merely saving on a hard drive somewhere. It is a great build, and would not be out of place even in Fantasseria of today. But that's the first question -- whether to make "Old Linden Homes" like a Google graveyard of old products in a definable place, or weave it into the Legacy Mainland or Bellisseria.

The former -- Mainland re-location -- would be less objectionable for some people who would hate the idea of "ewwww Mainland" on "their" Bellissieria. So if there is an existing pure granite abandoned Mainland sim, and you plunk down an old Linden Homes park or pool into it, it is only an improvement and may help sell land; if it remains in a separate place, the question is how to get visitors?

I don't think it makes sense to make a display of actual individual houses from each theme, especially not every style -- a display of pictures might be enough but really what is worth saving are the infohubs and parks.

So while these can have the  usual Linden stuff about how to buy Lindens and Destinations, etc. you could consider turning it into resident store or display areas. Busy Bens was derided in part because a few not highly skilled vehicle makers got into it and held on and it wasn't that interesting. But today you have enormous numbers of highly skilled people who could either decorate an area or make a booth with tasteful booths like from Boothology. You could also have groups display their activities -- it can be hard to find groups or understand what they do and displays could help. Perhaps put Community Pictures, although I think those do better in an optimised built for them as they rez slowly.

To make an area of old Linden Houses and ask people to go in and out of them means they won't -- avatars are avian creatures, they need shopping events or other venues optimized to easily fly into and out of them or walk through them easily, and that's not a Linden Home. So I would focus on keeping historic builds and parks that are open spaces, perhaps with a few sample homes, and add some draw to them -- and in my view resident space for stores and ads is the big gap in the Linden product area that needs filling to help the world economy. There is too much of the wrong advertising in SL that is annoying and devalues land; more managed Linden run advertising is therefore needed since no advertising monopolist with tasteful, reasonable, easy advertising has emerged, except within stores like Black Sand.

Then there is Libani Park, with an Asian theme, and while many would say Sakurasseria is better, the tea here delivers, unlike Mole beverages in Bellisseria which don't. It's a perfectly nice and likely savable build.

Then there is the Meadowbrook infohub, which looks like a commuter college in southern California or the corporate headquarters of a pharmaceutical, but I think this was the most popular style, so maybe make that the resident store, it's the right kind of build for it.

It uses only 2605 out of 5000 li, that's some 2400 prims you could turn over to resident stores or displays, to like 50 or 100 residents at 25 prims per person.

There's Mistimo Park with a weird build.

And there's more, I will look for them when I'm done with work, I think there's an even more gorgeous Asian build in there somewhere and I recall several other parks with hunts. People can add their favourites. There is Elderglen Hub with its fairy game -- that's a must.

I totally get the "out with the old, in with the new" psychology by which Silicon Valley lives, forcing us always to upgrade for more money. And there's no terrible loss not to continue, say, this swimming pool below with sculpty umbrellas etc -- it's perfectly fine, but Newbrooke is much better, if smaller. The build with concentric circles in Tripshall Park is an interesting old-fashion build you don't see in Bellisseria -- that's worth keeping and where you could put in resident booths. If the old plants and trees bother you, well, I'd leave them in just for historical veracity. Some of them are ok like the cypresses.

That Tahoe texture and trees is long gone and likely no one wants to save it but it's interesting so I would keep ground textures which generally were better than the original Linden ground textures on early Mainland sims.

Looks to me like in some areas some houses have already been removed, but maybe it was like that.

Cornell Box 5 19 22_151.jpg

Cornell Box 5 19 22_146.jpg

Cornell Box 5 19 22_147.jpg

Cornell Box 5 19 22_148.jpg

Cornell Box 5 19 22_149.jpg

Cornell Box 5 19 22_150.jpg

Cornell Box 5 19 22_152.jpg

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Looks to me like in some areas some houses have already been removed, but maybe it was like that.

Cornell Box 5 19 22_146.jpg

it makes some sense for home removal to have begun already if this is what is happening

helps to reduce the number of new people moving in, while also signalling to the existing home owners that the bulldozers are at work, and might be a good idea for the remaining residents to start thinking about moving to a new Linden Homes neighbourhood

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

As far as I know, these old houses are not available to pick any more. I don't even see Victorians, but I don't roll for a home very often.

If you really want one of the old themes they are still available to pick on the homes page

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

If you really want one of the old themes they are still available to pick on the homes page

They are .. although I wouldn't advise anyone get one just because of the impending purge and Belli being so.much.better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

They are .. although I wouldn't advise anyone get one just because of the impending purge and Belli being so.much.better

It is different for different people. I like mine old Meadowbrook house more than ANY new theme. It has lot of space and high ceilings. I have remoded it to suit mine needs and I LOVE it.

All new theme houses make me feel trapped and if i stay long inside it makes me actually feel that i cant breathe and mine cam going all ime thru walls and ceilings/floor gets me dizzy. Even houses with open plans have so low ceiling that it can make person feel bad. Outside yards are small and prelandscaped with items what you cant remove or cover up and depends a lot what your neighbour has put up / no derendering for SLO browser and your derendering doesnt afect what your visiting friends see - so it is pointless/.

Yes, textures of old house are poor and landcape items around them are very outdated. But you can remodel tham easily and put new good blinds on window what make even outdated outside more tolerable/not so visible but you have lot of space to move and decorate properly.

Day when my home will be taken form me will be very very sad, I have had it years now, never changed to other type. Yes I have other places on SL but this house has me feel safe and home.

red 220522.png

Edited by Vihmakass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Vihmakass said:

It is different for different people. I like mine old Meadowbrook house more than ANY new theme. It has lot of space and high ceilings. I have remoded it to suit mine needs and I LOVE it.

All new theme houses make me feel trapped and if i stay long inside it makes me actually feel that i cant breathe and mine cam going all ime thru walls and ceilings/floor gets me dizzy. Even houses with open plans have so low ceiling that it can make person feel bad. Outside yards are small and prelandscaped with items what you cant remove or cover up and depends a lot what your neighbour has put up / no derendering for SLO browser and your derendering doesnt afect what your visiting friends see - so it is pointless/.

Yes, textures of old house are poor and landcape items around them are very outdated. But you can remodel tham easily and put new good blinds on window what make even outdated outside more tolerable/not so visible but you have lot of space to move and decorate properly.

Day when my home will be taken form me will be very very sad, I have had it years now, never changed to other type. Yes I have other places on SL but this house has me feel safe and home.

red 220522.png

I always thought the old homes had LESS space but you're here to say they made you feel you have more. It sounds like the blinds made the difference. It does look more spacious in what you show here. I hope you will be able to find peace in a new home. Take lots of pictures!

You might consider the Sakura homes. Even the 512 lot houses have lots of rooms with sliding doors which create a sense of "more house" than there is, and of security. You might like it. The landscaping is beautiful. I agree that by contrast with the old homes, the new Bellisseria landscaping is overstuffed. I could do with a little less of it, especially the butterflies. I literally abandon any house that has then right in the view.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Sad 2

What would be cool is to add copies of old Linden Homes to the new selection as an option like the old Linden Hobbit Homes added to the option in the new Fantasy selection etc. I hate the new fantasy homes and prefered the old hobbit hill homes with the round doors. Maybe update them a bit with mesh etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I always thought the old homes had LESS space but you're here to say they made you feel you have more.

I have a 512 house on my Mainland 1024. It feels a lot more roomy than any of the Linden Homes to me. Layout means a whole lot. I find the new Linden homes claustrophobic too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

I have a 512 house on my Mainland 1024. It feels a lot more roomy than any of the Linden Homes to me. Layout means a whole lot. I find the new Linden homes claustrophobic too.

In my opinion, it really does depend on the theme. The Traditionals seem claustrophobic to me. And simply due to overall size, the Houseboats and Trailers.

But beginning with the Victorians, things changed, and every theme following has featured larger designs. Many of us have been challenged in fully furnishing some of the larger models with the existing LI limit

My guess is that those feeling claustrophobic in even the larger new homes would prefer to see more height (open to two stories) in addition to the open floor plans. Possibly the Grand View log home would be the closest fit of the new homes in that regard. I don’t think it’s a perfect floor plan ( it lacks an obvious space for a bathroom) but I found by addling an additional room or sunroom extension on the right, I could take the room tucked under the loft in the back and use it for a bathroom or office/second bedroom. So the main living area benefits from the open tall height.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Mollymews said:

it makes some sense for home removal to have begun already if this is what is happening

helps to reduce the number of new people moving in, while also signalling to the existing home owners that the bulldozers are at work, and might be a good idea for the remaining residents to start thinking about moving to a new Linden Homes neighbourhood

That's a great way to get the message to the old LH residents!  Empty lots among some half knocked down condemned (unoccupied) homes with a bulldozer here and there. Some signage  pointing to Belli and what they could have with double prims or even with their regular 512 Li.

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trinity1776 said:

In my opinion, it really does depend on the theme. The Traditionals seem claustrophobic to me. And simply due to overall size, the Houseboats and Trailers.

But beginning with the Victorians, things changed, and every theme following has featured larger designs. Many of us have been challenged in fully furnishing some of the larger models with the existing LI limit

My guess is that those feeling claustrophobic in even the larger new homes would prefer to see more height (open to two stories) in addition to the open floor plans. Possibly the Grand View log home would be the closest fit of the new homes in that regard. I don’t think it’s a perfect floor plan ( it lacks an obvious space for a bathroom) but I found by addling an additional room or sunroom extension on the right, I could take the room tucked under the loft in the back and use it for a bathroom or office/second bedroom. So the main living area benefits from the open tall height.

I agree, especially with the Grand View suggestion.  From a functional standpoint, it is probably my favorite of all homes released to date.  Those awesome vaulted ceilings really help with the claustrophobia, at least for me.  The lack of an obvious bathroom space can easily be solved with an add-on.

image.thumb.jpeg.137eeb5ac1b628874916202beafd6be0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ed8769593945e8c95a7ceabdb619aa7f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.468f8eb683088b11cf1e197480c6b541.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I always thought the old homes had LESS space but you're here to say they made you feel you have more. It sounds like the blinds made the difference. It does look more spacious in what you show here. I hope you will be able to find peace in a new home. Take lots of pictures!

You might consider the Sakura homes. Even the 512 lot houses have lots of rooms with sliding doors which create a sense of "more house" than there is, and of security. You might like it. The landscaping is beautiful. I agree that by contrast with the old homes, the new Bellisseria landscaping is overstuffed. I could do with a little less of it, especially the butterflies. I literally abandon any house that has then right in the view.

Send all your butterflies to me, I will take them all :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1