Old Linden Homes Are Going Away

4 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

I agree, especially with the Grand View suggestion.  From a functional standpoint, it is probably my favorite of all homes released to date.  Those awesome vaulted ceilings really help with the claustrophobia, at least for me.  The lack of an obvious bathroom space can easily be solved with an add-on.

Yes, and I have done that too, adding a bathroom to the loft. I've also added sliding or (frosted glass) French doors to the downstairs room tucked under the loft, which makes for a larger bathroom.

I also thought about this...even though it's not the main living space, it does help make the builds feel more open: a number of the larger, two story builds have a good-sized open landing on the second floor (with other rooms opening off it), whether it is a "standard" floor plan or an "open"" one.  This includes two story Victorians, 1024 two story Newbrookes, and I believe (if my memory serves me correctly) Fantasy and Chalets as well. The 1024 Sakura Kaneshon/Kuchinashi has an open loft with one room upstairs with the "open floor plan" and a landing with two rooms upstairs with the regular floor plan.

Another factor that contributes to possible claustrophobia is doors and halls designed closely together, along with smaller rooms and more narrow hallways, and in one case, a slopped attic (but, that's the third floor in that case).  The worst offender here is the Traditional Continental (the third floor slopped attic is in the The Mountaineer log home). Some of the regular (vs. open) Sakura floor plans have fairly narrow hallways too.

With the smaller rooms and the sloped attic,  when a resident experiences a lower frame rate and the lack of control that comes with it, their view may literally be bobbing between indoors and outdoors. And of course many of us have been in LH regions where one or more other folks are dragging the performance way down.

To condense all that...to reduce that possible feeling of claustrophobia: 

1. Select a Log Home parcel and use the Grand View model (for the two story open feeling).
  2. Avoid the traditional Continental model.
  3. Avoid the Sakura homes that have the regular/traditional floor plans, choosing instead the open floor plans.
  4. Choose one of the two story Victorian, Fantasy or Chalet models, and possibly the open floor plan version of the Fantasy or Chalet models.
  5. Check the 1024 Newbrooke models, they are fairly roomy.
  6. If small builds don't appeal to you, than the Traditional one stories, the houseboats, and the trailers are not likely going to be your cup of tea.
Edited by Trinity1776
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Trinity1776 said:

If small builds don't appeal to you, than the Traditional one stories, the houseboats, and the trailers are not likely going to be your cup of tea.

I've been quite happy with my Houseboat. The inside feels spacious enough, and if I get feeling cramped there is always the rooftop deck(s).

Plus I've made a skybox over the house, and am still well within my prim budget.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

What would be cool is to add copies of old Linden Homes to the new selection as an option like the old Linden Hobbit Homes added to the option in the new Fantasy selection etc. I hate the new fantasy homes and prefered the old hobbit hill homes with the round doors. Maybe update them a bit with mesh etc.

I was hoping for Hobbit Home redoux when they released Fantasy, so this gets a thumbs up from me! lol

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

What would be cool is to add copies of old Linden Homes to the new selection as an option like the old Linden Hobbit Homes added to the option in the new Fantasy selection etc. I hate the new fantasy homes and prefered the old hobbit hill homes with the round doors. Maybe update them a bit with mesh etc.

Hmm.  Doubt they would go that far, but anything is possible.  Patch DID mention that one thing necessary for the preservation task would be to replace the old home controllers with something else (presumably Belli-like).  This makes me wonder if he is thinking of still making them available to be claimed somehow.

He didn't speak of this as work that has already been started.  So you know, my bet would be that old LH continents will not be disappearing in any sort of SOON timeframe.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

That's a great way to get the message to the old LH residents!  Empty lots among some half knocked down condemned (unoccupied) homes with a bulldozer here and there. Some signage  pointing to Belli and what they could have with double prims or even with their regular 512 Li.

could get some residents doing protest builds on their old Linden Homes in response, like We Shall Not, We Shall Not Be Moved. Banners and barricades round their homes, chucking water balloons and marshmallows at Demolition Linden what dares to approach with their bulldozer. Be quite fun that 😸

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Cali Souther said:

I remember my old A frame ....   that was a fun house to try and build a loft.   Good times!

Do you ever go back and visit it? I pop by to see my old Meadowbrook once every few years. (Don't worry, it's empty! lol)

• Like 6

I hope the dragon at Cape Ekim isn't going away. The mole who worked on that did such a wonderful job on it. There's a lot of great lore there and it's really worth checking out. It would be nice if it were set aside as a historical build. All the old mole-created places should be. 

I also think it would be nice if people who have an old Linden home could be allowed to keep it. I would hope LL would understand that some people might have an emotional connection to the place they've lived in for a long time & won't make them get rid of it. That would suck. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Zidaya Zenovka said:

I hope the dragon at Cape Ekim isn't going away. The mole who worked on that did such a wonderful job on it. There's a lot of great lore there and it's really worth checking out. It would be nice if it were set aside as a historical build. All the old mole-created places should be. 

Pretty sure that I heard they were going to keep the dragon -- probably move it somewhere else though. 

58 minutes ago, Zidaya Zenovka said:

I also think it would be nice if people who have an old Linden home could be allowed to keep it.

From all indications, this will not happen.  LL has said, since the beginning of Bellisseria, that the old areas are not maintainable and will eventually go away.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 5:02 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

I always thought the old homes had LESS space but you're here to say they made you feel you have more. It sounds like the blinds made the difference. It does look more spacious in what you show here. I hope you will be able to find peace in a new home. Take lots of pictures!

Most of the old ones have more interior space - each of the old houses (except the Elderglen ones) fills an entire 512m parcel, right up to the edges. There is no available garden space whatsoever (beyond a small patio in Meadowbrooks and Tahoes).

In Belli, only Newbrooke and Sakura have houses that are so big they would fill a 512m parcel (thats why half the options are only available if you take a 1024).  Plus, interior walls make a building look less spacious than it really is, so even the biggest ones still feel smaller.

I'd lke to see some of the old builds moved to be adjacent to Bellisseria, like they did with the Galaxy. The dragon could go on the Fantasseria coast somewhere.

Edited by Karl Herber
  • Like 6

CLAUSTROPHOBIC!!!  new homes.    I miss my Meadowbrook already!

I have a bunch of new Linden Homes, different types, including houseboat which is one of the least claustrophobic. But I still love to visit my old Meadowbrook. I also love that there is so much glass, I can see out.

Even though it is on a 512, the home seems larger and there is no claustrophobic feeling. It is a wonderfully wide open floor plan with very high ceilings and no hallways and narrow staircases (especially those that turn a corner) or little narrow doorways or little, cramped rooms with their low ceilings where your camera that following you is slammed with walls and such at every step. This is disorienting to me and is probably why I don't like cramped quarters. 

I've been hoping for a theme with modern homes with very high ceilings reminiscent of Meadowbrook. It was very disappointing when Newbrook didn't deliver an updated Meadowbrook.

After all this time, while I'm used to the claustrophobic feeling, I hate it. Below is what I see walking around two of my homes. Please don't suggest camera angle fix. Been there, done that. Some of us just get "stuck" on these scenes while apparently others don't:

image.thumb.png.5c64068d1332601d83228e0c668b737b.png

image.thumb.png.f9293e62f5e24b07865547a1b2be4ab6.png

image.thumb.png.c034218d23574505bc1c9bad536f0ef3.png

image.thumb.png.28e967cb0dc0f34712b785427f69738c.png

highriver1_083.png

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I loved my Shareta house that I had before Bellisseria, but the first thing I did was add a loft and a couple of separate rooms, I even had a bathroom big enough to fit a hot tub, and I've done exactly the same in my new Sakura house.

190323_005.jpg.e00c8750534637e3a48637d6d0368100.jpg

190323_006.jpg.f8d037bae2af0cd9e9e540b12a4bb60e.jpg

190323_007.jpg.6dd6209f0e8a0ee08d1c054104d82287.jpg

Funy, I don't like open plan houses, they make me want to add walls and doors everywhere.

• Like 9

On 6/22/2022 at 1:12 PM, Eirynne Sieyes said:

That's a great way to get the message to the old LH residents!  Empty lots among some half knocked down condemned (unoccupied) homes with a bulldozer here and there. Some signage  pointing to Belli and what they could have with double prims or even with their regular 512 Li.

This all reminds me of the Living Color lyrics Open Letter (to a Landlord)

Now you can tear a building down
But you can't erase a memory

:)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

CLAUSTROPHOBIC!!!  new homes.    I miss my Meadowbrook already!

I have a bunch of new Linden Homes, different types, including houseboat which is one of the least claustrophobic. But I still love to visit my old Meadowbrook. I also love that there is so much glass, I can see out.

Even though it is on a 512, the home seems larger and there is no claustrophobic feeling. It is a wonderfully wide open floor plan with very high ceilings and no hallways and narrow staircases (especially those that turn a corner) or little narrow doorways or little, cramped rooms with their low ceilings where your camera that following you is slammed with walls and such at every step. This is disorienting to me and is probably why I don't like cramped quarters. 

I've been hoping for a theme with modern homes with very high ceilings reminiscent of Meadowbrook. It was very disappointing when Newbrook didn't deliver an updated Meadowbrook.

After all this time, while I'm used to the claustrophobic feeling, I hate it. Below is what I see walking around two of my homes. Please don't suggest camera angle fix. Been there, done that. Some of us just get "stuck" on these scenes while apparently others don't:

image.thumb.png.5c64068d1332601d83228e0c668b737b.png

image.thumb.png.f9293e62f5e24b07865547a1b2be4ab6.png

The Log Homes have a lovely A-frame with a 2 story living room, tall windows, and a loft bedroom.  The largest Newbrook layout might be the Aldridge, which has a large open living room but still has the low ceilings you don't like.

713229689_LogHomeatBridlePath.thumb.jpg.d714111a94b65fa88ec32cea9c1ce972.jpg

• Like 5

And, you know, the tall ceilings are a love-and-hate thing. My avi is set to the equivalent of just over 6 ft tall - and typically has been 6 to 6 3/4 ft tall in SL. And the scale of doorways and ceiling heights in all the new Linden Homes (except trailers and houseboats)  makes my avi look small. 

• Like 3

Heres an idea.

Perhaps LL should compensate emotionally attached residents who love these older Nascera LH homes with a free full sized (no transfer) replica of their house as a thanks from LL?

Then these residents can either place the replica house in a skybox over their newer Bellisseria LH, or place it elsewhere, such as a mainland region or parcel.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

On 6/22/2022 at 10:41 PM, Cali Souther said:

I remember my old A frame ....   that was a fun house to try and build a loft.   Good times!

I remember one of them was tall enough to add in two additional floors and with enough space outside for a hot tub, patio seats and some plants. Easily my favourite old style Linden home. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Perhaps LL should compensate emotionally attached residents who love these older Nascera LH homes with a free full sized (no transfer) replica of their house as a thanks from LL?

Those builds are pre-mesh and the textures were given away free at the infohubs. Anyone with basic building skills who loved them that much would be able to make their own replica.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

I remember one of them was tall enough to add in two additional floors and with enough space outside for a hot tub, patio seats and some plants. Easily my favourite old style Linden home. 

Yep.  It was fun to see how far you could stretch that LI allowance.

Tahoe_004.jpg

Tahoe_005.jpg

Tahoe_001.jpg

Tahoe_002.jpg

Tahoe_003.jpg

Edited by Matthieu Quander
  • Like 14

It would be nice if the Moles would box up those old houses and stick them in the freebie store in Stillmans. (Modifyable, I would hope).  Then, anyone who still wants one can get one, and stick it down on mainland somewhere. 

• Like 14