Fees are too high!(?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:15 AM, Antonioo Giano said:

@Klytyna are you even able to say something instead of putting useless laughs to posts?
Laugh also to this if you want. I guess it speaks for itself a person that instead of exchanging opinions prefers to put laugh emojis like a 12yrs old :)

@Klytyna is great. I am always glad to get her laughs!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Oops abandoned earlier
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Antonioo Giano said:

There is no "side". I'm just an open-minded person that is aware that things can change and doesn't matter if I like it or not. But people answering this post, again, confirmed that they don't know what they are talking about. I just know the topic and myself I said that I'm 50-50 about it, so not saying that is going to be for sure like that or that is the future but that IT COULD BE and if it will be I'll not stay there crying because things are changing.
But when you touch topics when people get their ideas about watching some random youtube video or reading random stuff online that's the thing.. Don't even need to answer to those all kinda "bully" style answers. The "bully" can IM me in Second Life if they are able to be that "smart" also in a conversation instead of thinking to be cool posting random stuff to try to make fun of me in a forum where you do "everyone against one" just because the one knows more about you on a topic and you can't accept it.
The bully can keep going as they like giving "ironic" answers and putting laughing emojis on my posts, I just don't mind. I can handle many of you attacking me all the time and in the end we will see who will laugh because I know already that I will not receive any IM, because for all those bullies the strength comes just in "group" when they get other peoples approval. Via IM they would just be silent and don't know what to say.

If you're so much smarter and better informed than everyone else on this forum, then why don't you contact the people who run Linden Lab and offer to be a consultant for them?

You say you're open-minded, but you also say that people disagreeing with you confirms what you already thought. This is the opposite of being open-minded. You seem to view anyone who disagrees with you as both ignorant and picking on you. I have to wonder though, what you thought you would get out of posting here? Did you think at least some of us would tell you how brilliant and right you are?

"Oh, my God. You are so right! You should be running Linden Lab or at least working as a consultant for them. I'm overwhelmed by how brilliant you are. I will forever follow you and tell you how wonderful you are." 😃

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Did you think at least some of us would tell you how brilliant and right you are?

When I finally did a detailed dive into the OP, my final conclusion was.."Brilliant"! 🙂

I just had to wade through enough to discover the bottom line, hidden in the last sentence or two.

(I'm being extra nice so I can give my "Top 1 Bully" spot to another over-achiever!)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

IBTL cat pictures it is.

sdVGTvh.png

Look mommy, I found a blockchain, that fixes everything !

Oh lawdy... been ages since I've owned a proper tower at home lol... the kitties will scratch my laptop screen and sleep on the warm LED keyboard with the cooling pad fans whirring at max speed... 😺😺,

(sees herself out as she mitigates the high fees by TPing more via Open Sim...)

• Like 3

Just now, JeromFranzic said:

Oh lawdy... been ages since I've owned a proper tower at home lol... the kitties will scratch my laptop screen and sleep on the warm LED keyboard with the cooling pad fans whirring at max speed... 😺😺,

(sees herself out as she mitigates the high fees by TPing more via Open Sim...)

My previous husky used to pee on, or right near my tower! (That was in the "gotta pee" room.)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Antonioo Giano said:

without giving 0 argumentation

I was going to throw you some support here, since we do have some people on these forums that can't support their positions with polite discourse, but I'm gonna have to switch teams after seeing all that about NFTs.

We've yet to see a really good proposal that would make SL a better place by adding crypto. It's always more complications without any additional benefits, other than it's the FOMO right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

I'm gonna have to switch teams after seeing all that about NFTs.

I've come to the conclusion supportively, that since the OP is in the business, NFT means something different than the limited meaning I know. If it catches on, perhaps in time we'll all have a similar understanding instead of a vague concern (at least on my part) that the vast and wonderful experience of SL will be reduced somehow to just a "token", with some "value". Idungettit, and thas' hokay.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've come to the conclusion supportively, that since the OP is in the business, NFT means something different than the limited meaning I know. If it catches on, perhaps in time we'll all have a similar understanding instead of a vague concern (at least on my part) that the vast and wonderful experience of SL will be reduced somehow to just a "token", with some "value". Idungettit, and thas' hokay.

ngl I just feel like people like being jipped. Lol. NFT is a non fungible token, but ultimately its a scam. I mean who the heck was like. You know what, we will sell goods. But only give them the receipt. That is like adopting a dog, but only getting the adoption papers. But not the actual dog. Lol 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

We've yet to see a really good proposal that would make SL a better place by adding crypto. It's always more complications without any additional benefits, other than it's the FOMO right now.

I will go one further.

We have yet to see a single cohesive outline of how anything "web3" will benefit SL as it stands, improve the product offering, increase usability or accessibility, increase value, membership, growth, stability and so on.

It's all .. SL has L$, that should be a crypto coin .. SL has land and stuff, that's like NFTs.. but when asked WHY all we get is attacked for being "too dumb" to get it.

The SL economy, as it stands today, has more transaction volume than bitcoin (1), which is struggling under it's own weight and consuming a small countries amount of electricity (2).

So where would the value proposition be for SL users? Where would all the nodes go, who would run them, is it really in anyone's interest to have a speculative money rollercoaster as the basis for our day to day virtual shopping? Would you be happy with massive transaction lag, or needing to shop via a secondary token that's then added the the master block chain in batches? How is buying a dress for a dollar and then finding out later in the day you just spent or lost a fortune going to feel? What is that going to do the general economy? (if it's anything like actual crypto coins, then we wont be spending, we will be HODLing for our lives).

But what if it was a stable coin that didn't have value fluctuations .. so .. we just get transaction lag and the real possibility it all goes up in smoke over night because it turns out "stablecoins" are everything but (3).

Virtual land as an NFT makes even less sense .. Oh look, your land is now on the block chain and in your crypto wallet you can trade it!! .. Ok, but what happens if you want to subdivide or add more land to that land? You have to mess about with a lot of technical back and forth and incur fees at every step of the process.  What happens if the fees aren't stable in price and can wildly fluctuate depending on demand like ETH's gas fees (4)

and on and on and on ... 

How does any of this help SL users do anything we can already do quickly, easily and for predictable sums of money. In short, provide benefit for the actual people who actually use SL. I'm sure it would be great fun for speculators, but then no one is playing SL anymore.

BUT MUH METAVERSE ... Oh shut up.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5

On 6/12/2022 at 7:29 AM, Lindal Kidd said:
  1. The price of land has actually come DOWN a great deal from the prices charged back in 2008.
  2. The amount of prims supported by land has increased by 50%
  3. Linden Home parcels have doubled in size.
  4. A "one time buy" model for land is inconsistent with the ongoing costs LL has to pay for server rental/cloud based servers.
  5. Land in SL is FAR cheaper than land in any of the would-be cryptocurrency-based worlds such as Decentraland.

LL has been "rebalancing" their revenue model, decreasing the fees charged for land and increasing other fees such as Premium membership and fees for buying and selling $L.

What she said.

Linden Homes are an incredible deal, having no tier and, on an annual basis, cost less than a music stream subscription. For mainland, the most expensive tier (per sqm) is for holders of less than a region, but once you go beyond one region, it's the least expensive.

My opinion is that SL is not growing due to high barriers to entry (don't get me started).

Ironically, if it did have growth, we would find that SL is not easily scaled up (too many moles/moderators required).

I predict that SL will go down, we just do not know when. It will be the same reason most companies die... lack of a compelling (and executable) vision for the future. Current Linden Research owners want to be the accounting/legal company that enables  transactions for virtual economies. Apparently, they have not noticed that this is old hat.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, diamond Marchant said:

My opinion is that SL is not growing due to high barriers to entry (don't get me started).

SL isn't growing because there is only a niche of people willing to sink the time and effort into something like SL when they could be consuming literally any other media and not have to "make their own fun". Toss in the high price of a socially acceptable avatar and needing to navigate a dozen different 3rd party solutions and software interfaces.

I want to do something online with lots of other people, play house, dress up and have fun - Go play Final Fantasy, or WoW, or both. You will have stuff to do all day every day for years, meet an orders of magnitude more people, spend less money, and still be able to mess about playing barbie or RP.

The time cost required to have a meaningful Second Life is a high barrier to entry.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 6/12/2022 at 8:50 AM, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I frequently see people say this, but it's pretty much the same as it was back then, entertainment-wise. Clubs are always notorious for opening, lasting for a little bit (if they're lucky), and shutting down and always have been - even back in 2005/2006 that was happening. As it stands now, there's still a ton of stuff to do in SL, despite things opening and closing.

Some expect to open a club and see the crowds rushing in. Many don't know what it takes to run a successful venue and they fall flat.  My man who DJs in world now and then played at one a few years back and the owners got in a dispute and closed the place in the middle of his set.

Nowadays unless you have deep pockets, clubs rarely make anything.  When I ran mine, I did it for fun and my love of live music and a place for musicians to play.  Someone told me performers can be like a herd to cats sometimes! :D

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It's all .. SL has L$, that should be a crypto coin .. SL has land and stuff, that's like NFTs.. but when asked WHY all we get is attacked for being "too dumb" to get it.

Since they're in the business, maybe they get paid in crypto, and live in a NFT house. Hard for us to know!

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The SL economy, as it stands today, has more transaction volume than bitcoin (1), which is struggling under it's own weight and consuming a small countries amount of electricity (2).

So where would the value proposition be for SL users? Where would all the nodes go, who would run them, is it really in anyone's interest to have a speculative money rollercoaster as the basis for our day to day virtual shopping? Would you be happy with massive transaction lag, or needing to shop via a secondary token that's then added the the master block chain in batches? How is buying a dress for a dollar and then finding out later in the day you just spent or lost a fortune going to feel? What is that going to do the general economy? (if it's anything like actual crypto coins, then we wont be spending, we will be HODLing for our lives).

I would rather the L not be a Crypto currency, as well you brought it up. Plus its inconsistency of holding steady for any amount of time, would be more of a waste of money than ultimately an investment. I honestly don't get why people want all virtual worlds to have cryptocurrencies. I mean the thing fluctuates worse than well the weather where I live. Lol 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Some expect to open a club and see the crowds rushing in. Many don't know what it takes to run a successful venue and they fall flat.  My man who DJs in world now and then played at one a few years back and the owners got in a dispute and closed the place in the middle of his set.

Nowadays unless you have deep pockets, clubs rarely make anything.  When I ran mine, I did it for fun and my love of live music and a place for musicians to play.  Someone told me performers can be like a herd to cats sometimes! :D

This is all so true. Running clubs is so expensive - paying staff and DJs, paying live performers, land fees, buying furnishings/decor, stream rentals, etc. And it's not easy to earn it back, either. That relies on some very generous and loyal fans/customers, and that type of fanbase takes time to build.

It sounds like such a fun thing to make, so I can see why there are soooooo many, but reality hits hard after the first month's bills do. 😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

This is all so true. Running clubs is so expensive - paying staff and DJs, paying live performers, land fees, buying furnishings/decor, stream rentals, etc. And it's not easy to earn it back, either. That relies on some very generous and loyal fans/customers, and that type of fanbase takes time to build.

It sounds like such a fun thing to make, so I can see why there are soooooo many, but reality hits hard after the first month's bills do. 😂

When I ran mine, I did it all myself. No hosts or such. I only did live music and was once a week. I own a RL bar and sometimes we would simulcast SL on the bar's TVs. Due to RL I dropped out of SL, sold my place to someone else and only hopping in now and then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I honestly don't get why people want all virtual worlds to have cryptocurrencies. 

Buzzwords.

Make your thing have all the buzzwords then everyone will talk about it more and we can all get rich. Wrap all the buzzwords up in a new buzzword "the metaverse" .. KA-CHING ! // Does it matter than you can't define a metaverse or explain how it will work on a technical basis, or that 90% of the claims are just pure fiction? Nope! Just pretend your on the bridge of some space ship and techno waffle till someone with more money than sense gives you a wodge of cash.

What's all this good for? CIte everything. Every single problem plaguing mankind can be solved by your buzzword bingo card. How? Magic, if you don't know then you're just a dum dum. Insert money and we can ride this hype to the moooooon!

Like VR .. good for literally everything! .. Actually good for inducing motion sickness and gesturbating with teens in VRChat. But never mind that, we have a new hype bubble, get in early and you can short cut to being rich and important.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Like VR .. good for literally everything! .. Actually good for inducing motion sickness and gesturbating with teens in VRChat. But never mind that, we have a new hype bubble, get in early and you can short cut to being rich and important

I know that all too well. I can't even wear a dang headset without getting motion sickness. But seriously, I feel like people just want to put a bandaid on a festering wound. Instead of trying to get of the root of the problem and make the virtual world better. Without adding all this extra crap. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Buzzwords.

Make your thing have all the buzzwords then everyone will talk about it more and we can all get rich. Wrap all the buzzwords up in a new buzzword "the metaverse" .. KA-CHING ! // Does it matter than you can't define a metaverse or explain how it will work on a technical basis, or that 90% of the claims are just pure fiction? Nope! Just pretend your on the bridge of some space ship and techno waffle till someone with more money than sense gives you a wodge of cash.

What's all this good for? CIte everything. Every single problem plaguing mankind can be solved by your buzzword bingo card. How? Magic, if you don't know then you're just a dum dum. Insert money and we can ride this hype to the moooooon!

Like VR .. good for literally everything! .. Actually good for inducing motion sickness and gesturbating with teens in VRChat. But never mind that, we have a new hype bubble, get in early and you can short cut to being rich and important.

Did I ever mentioned Sid's Virtual Snake Oil here on these forums by any chance?
Coming up soon. Keep your dollars ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

But..but..if you have all the buzzwords, that'll give your Metaverse project.."legs"..

..oops..

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Another genius idea: can someone provide a chart showing the stability of the LindeX over time, vs. the stability of the crypto currencies (oh, say BTC), vs. the stability of the NFT market? 

TYVMIA!

image.png.2c68c455a631044292650eb184853e

Capture.PNG.7b8bb72fb2e7068f8b0973ca171cd3cf.PNG

Here you go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.