Limiting Object Entry vs. Build and Autoreturn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I thought I understood what Object Entry meant, but maybe I've been wrong all these years? I thought it meant other users could drive a car or ride a horse though a region. Yet, I keep seeing it turned off for the public in Bellisseria, even when I can clearly drive my car through.  

On the other hand, I see Autoreturn set to zero on the rez zones in Bellisseria, which doesn't seem to be a big problem. Someone did leave a driving HUD on one near my home, which I reported & which was eventually cleaned up. How do the Moles prefer to set up public rez zones and why?  I love being able to rez vehicles in Belli, but I don't want griefers taking advantage or people leaving a bunch of stray prims. 

• Like 1

I haven't experimented to verify this, but I believe Object Entry doesn't apply to things you're sitting on (like vehicles) or wearing. For example, if Object Entry is turned off, you'll see the "Drop" option grayed out for your attachments.

You might try this experiment: Rez an object in a place where you can do so that is also next door to a No Entry parcel/region. Then use Edit to try and move it into said No Entry land. I think you will not be able to do it. Then rez a vehicle, sit on it, and drive it into the same area. I bet you can, but if you stand up, it will immediately go to your Lost and Found.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Then rez a vehicle, sit on it, and drive it into the same area. I bet you can, but if you stand up, it will immediately go to your Lost and Found.

Yes. Please don't set up parking lots that way. Yes, people do that. Allow 20-30 minutes before autoreturn, please.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I thought I understood what Object Entry meant, but maybe I've been wrong all these years? I thought it meant other users could drive a car or ride a horse though a region. Yet, I keep seeing it turned off for the public in Bellisseria, even when I can clearly drive my car through

as I remember a Mole mentioned about this on here in the early days of Bellisseria

they said that Bellisseria public land object entry was done this way to prevent scripted riderless vehicles from entering the LDPW (Linden) public spaces because of the limited amount of LI available  on the public space parcels

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

they said that Bellisseria public land object entry was done this way to prevent scripted riderless vehicles from entering the LDPW (Linden) public spaces because of the limited amount of LI available  on the public space parcels

Coincidentally, this came up just yesterday in the Land & Concierge user group, with a request that they somehow let YavaPods circulate in Belli. Most of Zindra was also set up this way but early on a few regions were opened up to allow YavaPods to get around part of Kama City, but it's still impossible to make an autonomous ferry tour around the continent's mostly vacant waterways.

(Besides barring YavaPods, that setting is also why there's no traffic data for the Kama City monorail, nor the Belli railways.)

All this is the lasting legacy of one long-gone operator of a fleet of very ill-behaved autonomous vehicles, and of one anti-YavaPod activist, still very much present.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

somehow let YavaPods circulate in Belli

i can't remember now where the conversation is on here now, was way back when the first Belli homes became available. The actual Yavapod owner creator asked in the forum why the Belli public space was set to restrict object entry. And a Mole (which one I can't remember) said because of the LI.  It wasn't stated but the implication was that LDPW do not want heaps of people jamming up the place with riderless vehicles

LDPW did mount Yavapods in Bellisseria at one of the anniversary/fair/events, again I don't remember exactly when it was but there was some pictures posted on here.  I do remember posting a comment that I hoped Linden paid the Yavapod person for the use of their stuff, but I never got any response to that

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

She disappeared about 5 years ago. I've always felt she disappeared because she passed away. She was in her 70s I think. Definitely not young.

She once told me she was 80 or so and that was almost ten years ago. I don't know if she told the truth of course.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

She once told me she was 80 or so and that was almost ten years ago. I don't know if she told the truth of course.

I remember her saying something like that. I just didn't remember if she said 80s or 70s so I went with 70s. It was on the old SLU I think in that thread where she tried to defend her outdated scripting.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:
10 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Those pods are fine on old mainland, but we don't need them in Bellisseria.

Aww. I'ma make a snarky kind of comment but I mean it in good humor.

We don't need to log in either but we do need to breathe. 🤭

Maybe by "we" was meant "Royal We", i.e. "Who's we? Is there a mole in your pocket?" (the quote is usually a "mouse in your pocket?"). 

A4583D5B-EF8D-4926-AFA3-2809B4940EE8.jpeg.224dba71e4328c38050d88947376d898.jpeg

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe by "we" was meant "Royal We", i.e. "Who's we? Is there a mole in your pocket?" (the quote is usually a "mouse in your pocket?"). 

A4583D5B-EF8D-4926-AFA3-2809B4940EE8.jpeg.224dba71e4328c38050d88947376d898.jpeg

Every time I get a craving for molasses I wish I had gotten this t-shirt:

VintageManiac_5871336625679.jpg

How can we have mo'lasses when we ain't had no'lasses.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/28/2022 at 4:18 AM, Persephone Emerald said:

On the other hand, I see Autoreturn set to zero on the rez zones in Bellisseria, which doesn't seem to be a big problem. Someone did leave a driving HUD on one near my home, which I reported & which was eventually cleaned up. How do the Moles prefer to set up public rez zones and why?

The only plausible explanation I can come up with is that the Lindens are so bored and so desperately looking for something to do they want people to fill up rezz zones with trash for them to clean up.

Still, there are no problems, only opportunities. A builder friend of mine once set up an entire store on a no autoreturn Linden owned parcel.

• Haha 2

On 4/27/2022 at 11:48 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

I thought I understood what Object Entry meant, but maybe I've been wrong all these years? I thought it meant other users could drive a car or ride a horse though a region. Yet, I keep seeing it turned off for the public in Bellisseria, even when I can clearly drive my car through.  

On the other hand, I see Autoreturn set to zero on the rez zones in Bellisseria, which doesn't seem to be a big problem. Someone did leave a driving HUD on one near my home, which I reported & which was eventually cleaned up. How do the Moles prefer to set up public rez zones and why?  I love being able to rez vehicles in Belli, but I don't want griefers taking advantage or people leaving a bunch of stray prims. 

Object entry is the ability to move something over to a parcel of land. If you have Build off and Entry on, I cant walk over to your land and build, but I could rez next door and slide the object over.

• Thanks 1

The Object Entry Wall

cut a 4 meter strip round the edge of our parcel.  Set the strip to Object Entry = Yes and Auto return = 1. Set the inner parcel to Object Entry = No. Set auto return on the inner parcel as we prefer

any object attempting to move onto our parcel will be stopped by the inner parcel and auto returned immediately

is not always necessary this.  Is only when some doofus is on a neghbouring parcel where they can rez and is trying to shoot us on our parcel.  If we don't make a wall and only set our parcel to No Object Entry then if the neighbouring parcel is set to Auto-return = 0 then the villain's stuff can pile up on the neighbour parcel which we cant do anything about

• Like 2

Wait. Maybe a year or two or more ago, around the time of the pods coming to Belli controversy, I remember posts that she was sick with Covid or something like that. It took months, but she was finally strong enough to come back. So, I don't think Yavanna is dead.

In any case her spirit is alive and well on Discord (Yava Pod Riders).

I was not comfortable asking them if she was dead.

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

So, I don't think Yavanna is dead.

I don't think so either, but I didn't think we were discussing Yavanna, or at least I certainly wasn't when I initially referred to "one long-gone operator of a fleet of very ill-behaved autonomous vehicles" which is not at all my impression of Yavanna nor the YavaPods (I'm a big fan).

For years, a very different scripter made very different vehicles that travelled, uh, less well-defined routes around the Mainland, and those frequently got themselves in trouble. I wouldn't want those in Belli, but I find Belli a little less interesting for lack of YavaPods.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.