Discontinued items you miss. (RL or SL)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Bree Giffen said:

Jack-in-the-Box used to have giant sized tacos and there was a version with cheese and jalapeno that I used to get. I checked and it was called the Nacho Cheese Monster Taco. Was the meat real? I don't know.

It is very bad for your mental health to question the meat at places like Jack-in-the-Box or Taco Bell. 

Best to just eat the things that you like without thinking too much about the details.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is very bad for your mental health to question the meat at places like Jack-in-the-Box or Taco Bell. 

Best to just eat the things that you like without thinking too much about the details.

Taco Bell won the franchise wars. Now all restaurants are Taco Bell.

*Edit* Bonus: I worked at JIB for years as a youth. The tacos were frozen pre-filled with meat, and deep-fried to order.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I could eat a Jack-in-the-Box taco now, but back in my high school and college days, they stayed open later than Taco Bell, so that is what we ate.

Somewhere I read the tacos described as "a wet envelope of cat food".

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Right? *siiiiiiiiiiiigh* I loved Borders, too. Man, sad times.

I buy the occasional Kindle book or paperback on Amazon and I've had great success finding old favorites used on Ebay, but man it's just not the saaaaame. *whine*

I miss the smell of printed paper and real leather covers. 

Kindle page turns just don't cut it and most of the free to read books aren't that good.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I hate to say it but...flexi dresses.  They really need to find a way to make mesh dresses, especially formal dresses, move when you dance.  It was almost mesmerizing watching those dresses while you danced the night away.

I still have some, I wear now and then.   I love the way they moveeeeee 😉

• Like 3

In SL:

Cobrahive – amazing neko and punky gear!

Duh! – still on MP, but they seem to have ditched the fun stuff and just sell system AV shoes now? 

Warhead and Atomic for clothes and hairs 

I can’t remember the name but the massive store that sold poofers and particles, around 2010-2012 – I spent so many $Ls there…

Clubs: Transmission (my fave SL club ever)…also Demonic, just for nostalgia reasons 🙂 

In RL:

MySpace – the smart person’s Facebook 🧠

Windows 7 – at least I could find things in Search! 

Rescue Beauty Lounge – best nail polish :(

BK Veggie Bean Burger – I don’t really eat junk food except occasionally crisps and cake, and I’m not vegetarian now - but this was LUSH. They got rid of it for that fake meat stuff 👎

I used to have a pair of embellished leather biker boots I got from Brick Lane, which I loved…the shop closed a few years ago and none of the ones online look as good :|

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Tried to find Siss Boom. They have a MP store, but it's empty of any products. They have a landmark in world, but it leads to an empty storefront. :(

I searched for Siss Boom using Legacy Places and found the correct location -- ditto for using the Web Search.

Unfortunately, I don't see the dress in the store anymore.  I know she did a huge clearance sale a while back to clear out some of the older stuff.  That dress must have been part of what is no longer available.

Maybe this weekend, I check out some of her other formals that have flexi pieces - to see if there are any more low CI ones.

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I hated reading on a Kindle when they first came out.  I LOVED my physical books and refused to go digital for a long time.  However, most of the books I was buying were hardbacks --  because there were various series that I was reading and I did not have enough patience to wait for the paperback versions -- and eventually, my hands got to the point that it is hard for me to hold hardback books for very long.  That is when I finally gave in and got my first Kindle.  Now I am a diehard digital book gal.  Not to mention that the digital version is often cheaper than the hardback and it is soooo much lighter to carry a single Kindle in my backpack rather than multiple physical books when traveling.

I don't use a Kindle... amazon fire tablet with the Kindle app for me. Still on the 2017 HD 10 inch screen version, I'm amazed that it's getting system updates at all for an older device. (Thanks, covid.)

I used to run it with some of the Google Play stuff installed (including Play Books and a few Google only games, stuff that's not on amazon), but that slowed down my tablet so I removed it after a few months. I have sideloaded a few Google only apps from apkmirror, that's a better way to add some Google apps, but only because that site is reputable.

Back to the topic... hmm... argh, can't think of anything else right now. OK... I'd say maybe VHS and betamax tapes. Yes, I loved them... when the machines worked! I had fewer problems with the betamax tapes, most of them stayed intact for a longer period than the VHS tapes. I own a few VHS movies and a couple of Samsung machines from 2000 that still work well enough.

• Like 1

Back before it was purchased by GameStop, ThinkGeek was an online store of random nerdy knick knacks. I never gave it much thought until they came out with their own line of bags, including the Handbag of Holding which was a neat grey shoulder bag made of canvas in the perfect size between purse and laptop bag. It had amazing construction for an everyday bag and I used mine for the last decade before finally, the hardware and canvas began to go. 

I loved that bag and I've yet to find a replacement that really does everything it did. It was understated enough to blend into offices while also carrying my laptop to and from work. It made conferences a breeze because I could so easily slip in a knitting project alongside a small pharmacy of medication and all my essentials. It fit perfectly under an airline seat and went on more than 50 flights with me for work. 

Sadly it was discontinued about 6 years ago, and later on ThinkGeek was absorbed into GameStop entirely and closed their website. I still have my bag, and I might someday recycle the D20 zipper pull or interior hardware.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 8:59 PM, Stephanie Lovely said:

L'Occitane Néroli perfume. The original one, not the god awful Néroli & Orchidée perfume they replace it with. It was just divine, the most perfect perfume and I was so disappointed when I ran out of it and found it was discontinued.

Tom Ford makes a nice Neroli, and there's a stunning Italian brand neroli to die for.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bitterthorn said:

Back before it was purchased by GameStop, ThinkGeek was an online store of random nerdy knick knacks. I never gave it much thought until they came out with their own line of bags, including the Handbag of Holding which was a neat grey shoulder bag made of canvas in the perfect size between purse and laptop bag. It had amazing construction for an everyday bag and I used mine for the last decade before finally, the hardware and canvas began to go. 

I loved that bag and I've yet to find a replacement that really does everything it did. It was understated enough to blend into offices while also carrying my laptop to and from work. It made conferences a breeze because I could so easily slip in a knitting project alongside a small pharmacy of medication and all my essentials. It fit perfectly under an airline seat and went on more than 50 flights with me for work. 

Sadly it was discontinued about 6 years ago, and later on ThinkGeek was absorbed into GameStop entirely and closed their website. I still have my bag, and I might someday recycle the D20 zipper pull or interior hardware.

You know all those old worn out jeans you usually toss? Use the material from them and make yourself a new bag using the old hardware. You have the old bag to use as a pattern.

Back to Kindles for a moment. I have a Fire tablet as well as the Kindle reader. It's perfectly fine, but to my mind it is better for watching video. For portable text, the reader has it all over the Fire. Longer battery life, easier on the eyes, smaller and lighter in the hand.

One might even consider the Kindle Reader as the electronic equivalent of @Bitterthorn's Handbag of Holding. Thousands of books in the palm of your hand!

10 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I used to have a pair of embellished leather biker boots I got from Brick Lane, which I loved…the shop closed a few years ago and none of the ones online look as good :|

Anything leather you have to search for second hand .  The biker jacket i wore daily for 20 years was given to me by an ex gfs father who wore it when he was a young man . When i eventually found its replacement it was very old hardly worn and of quality leather you might make a saddle out of 👍

Books i prefer paper , and i figure millionaire authors won't mind if i give a few quid to charity to borrow one of the trillion used books i haven't yet read . I don't read so much any more but i used to arrive at oxfam or some such with 5 books and leave with another 5 and a fiver went to charity .

I logged in though to remind everyone of chips wrapped in old newspapers fried in fat that might kill you if you ate it 30 times a day (rolls eyes) . Visits to the chippy are rare for me nowadays but i can't help it that every time i get my hopes up only to be disappointed  .

Pubs that were a shortstop front room , a temporary respite for an hour between the responsibility of work and the responsibility of home . They were once a jobcentre , an infohub , a place where reputations were earned and respected .  Now most are just glorified cafes that sell beer 😪

This will probably only make sense to Brits .

• Like 3

SL locations:   I was going to say Omega Point, but it has apparently been back for quite some time (just discovered that today).  In the past it was always evolving and changing, so I don't know if Sweetlemon Jewell is still doing that.  If you've never visited, I highly recommend it.  There are so many nooks and crannies to explore.  I do miss the red and black cathedral she had years ago though. 

SL stuff: I don't miss flexi hair, as it's made a comeback, especially among ethnicities other than Caucasian (can usually only find black flexi hair), but I still can't stand the alpha glitches and the way it cuts through my face and body.  I know some designers are making flexi dresses again (and combining flexi attachments with mesh gowns).  As long as the ARC isn't 300,000 to 1 million, they're ok.  I still see some folks running around in dresses that are 1 million ARC and I just want to slap them. Flexi was just a beyutch in the ARC department.

I miss certain stores though. Evie's Closet, Yak & Yeti, Agnes Finney, lvs&co (those 7 deadly sins gowns!), Nonna Hedges, Donna Flora (a memorial store is still open), Silent Sparrow, Bliss Couture, MALT, Crimson Shadow, The Sea Hole, the list goes on and on. 

RL:   Restaurants--Burger Chef, Bonanza, York Steak House, Stuckey's (not technically for their restaurant but for their pecan logs). 

RL:  Food--just about anything from prior to 1980 because after that they started adding preservatives and high fructose corn syrup to everything (see Twinkies, Zingers, Ding Dongs, etc.). 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.