Discontinued items you miss. (RL or SL)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 752 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

They were a big thing in the middle to late 80's.

They were actually wonderful.  Back then skirt/dress with heels was required for pretty much all office settings and that means your legs froze in the winter.

Skirts AND HEELS??? I. Would. Have. Died. Thank goodness I was too young at the time to be working. There's no way I'd even attempt that. I have fallen down subway stairs in platforms. I have laid myself out flat in the absolute middle of the street in heeled sandals. I have gone splat onto the hood of my car in wedges (that one sounds more acrobatic than it was - I was walking in the grass in a parking lot and the cars were slightly below the elevated grassy bit - one little ankle wiggle and down I went). Chaos ensues every single time I try to be too feminine. I'm cursed!

Yeah, let's just put me in heels at work. What could possibly go wrong?

Hey guys happy Friday ohh oww OWW ooof meant to do that...sup?

heels-fall.gif

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Siss Boom -- Dress call 'amour'.  Comes in a variety of colors and the CI is only 9780.  As typical with the old flexi dresses, you'll have to adjust the sizing at the waist -- and you can't sit in it -- but it is a wonderful low CI flexi gown for dancing.

Tried to find Siss Boom. They have a MP store, but it's empty of any products. They have a landmark in world, but it leads to an empty storefront. :(

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This reminded me:  Denver is one of the test markets for many food chains.  For a few years PF Chang's carried some tacos on their bar menu here where the taco shells were made out of steamed jicama slices and then they were filled with spiced chicken or pork or lobster.  They were absolutely wonderful, but apparently they weren't enough of a big hit around the country, so they didn't last.  My husband and I are now on a search for decent jicama so we can try to make these at home.

Yes, I don’t understand why. The ones on the Boston menu had shrimp from what I can remember. I think it’s because they have a lot of similar appetizers. They still have  dynamite shrimp which is decent and the chicken wraps which is kind of like the Asian tacos except with a lettuce wrap.

25 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Brick and mortar record stores

Oh, very much so! There used to be a place up the street from me where I'd get many a CD during the early - mid 90s. The bloke that ran the place had a penchant for getting me all the thrash and death metal stuff I could handle! I also miss comic book shops as well.

5 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

My grans mac n cheese... Mine just isnt the same.

Same here! Seems that grandmothers are the queens of mac and cheese. While I can make a good facsimile of Nanny's mac and cheese, hers was epic!

Other things I miss in RL are Jolt and Surge colas. RC is about the closest I can get to Jolt.

SL-wise, I miss Nix Sands and his Xenops and Ecentricity (sp?) lines. I can only imagine the artistry he'd create were he still with us.

I also miss the Greeblers, and their Mesa 5 sim. That was a spectacular build!

Edited by SlammedSam
Because comic shops need love, too.
  • Like 1

Quality over quantity , stuff made to last long enough that you don't remember buying it .

When my 80 odd year old father in law passed away his kids recognizing i did more for him than all of them put together asked me to choose anything i like from his possessions when they emptied his house . I chose his tin opener which might outlast me as well as him .

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Brick and mortar record stores

Oh man yes. I loved blowing a whole day inside these! Both the tiny little vinyl shops and big ole massive Tower Records.

I'll also add:

Art supply stores - Blick doesn't count. I'm talking about the small places where you could trip over some canvas while browsing.

Poster stores - maybe some still exist, but those used to be found inside any ole mall

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Tried to find Siss Boom. They have a MP store, but it's empty of any products. They have a landmark in world, but it leads to an empty storefront. :(

Hmm - I'll check group notices when I log in this evening.  Unless she's moving again, she's had an inworld store forever.

ETA:  I get this SLURL from the owner's profile. Not sure if it is correct, since I can't log in yet:
https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Netherfield Forest/167/145/22

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

4 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

So, guess which one survived? :(

I get all my reading material via Kindle now.

Right? *siiiiiiiiiiiigh* I loved Borders, too. Man, sad times.

I buy the occasional Kindle book or paperback on Amazon and I've had great success finding old favorites used on Ebay, but man it's just not the saaaaame. *whine*

• Like 1

I hated reading on a Kindle when they first came out.  I LOVED my physical books and refused to go digital for a long time.  However, most of the books I was buying were hardbacks --  because there were various series that I was reading and I did not have enough patience to wait for the paperback versions -- and eventually, my hands got to the point that it is hard for me to hold hardback books for very long.  That is when I finally gave in and got my first Kindle.  Now I am a diehard digital book gal.  Not to mention that the digital version is often cheaper than the hardback and it is soooo much lighter to carry a single Kindle in my backpack rather than multiple physical books when traveling.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I hated reading on a Kindle when they first came out.  I LOVED my physical books and refused to go digital for a long time.  However, most of the books I was buying were hardbacks --  because there were various series that I was reading and I did not have enough patience to wait for the paperback versions -- and eventually, my hands got to the point that it is hard for me to hold hardback books for very long.  That is when I finally gave in and got my first Kindle.  Now I am a diehard digital book gal.  Not to mention that the digital version is often cheaper than the hardback and it is soooo much lighter to carry a single Kindle in my backpack rather than multiple physical books when traveling.

I'm the same - still prefer physical books, though. The biggest reason in my case is I went ahead and bought a Kindle Fire (for apps, mostly, and back then, the older Kindles didn't have built-in lighting), and those are horrrrrrrible for reading. One of these days, I'll grab a real Kindle/Paperwhite and I'm sure I'll like that a lot better. 

I loved going to used bookstores! I would go there to read and hunt for old books by my favorite authors. I use a kindle now. I bought a refurbished paperwhite and it was like new. It's great for commuting. I also stick manga into it. 

Jack-in-the-Box used to have giant sized tacos and there was a version with cheese and jalapeno that I used to get. I checked and it was called the Nacho Cheese Monster Taco. Was the meat real? I don't know.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 752 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.