Requesting an LGBTQ+ sub forum.

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:
5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Nope. You're so far off-topic, I'm completely lost now. Happens a lot.

Cover your eyes...stick your finger in your ear and sing lalalala. That's the attitude that you have for anyone that doesn't have the same opinion as you. I can see why you are lost.

You need a hug? 

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I think those who are interested in getting the subforum made should keep offering ideas of how we'd use it so LL has something concrete to take into consideration.

Second Life is a mirror in many ways, dealing with SL inspired self discovery can be hard and knowing there is community with similar experiences can be of huge benefit. This was a primary topic of discussion at the support group I used to run in world.

Finding people, friends and groups related to LGBTQ+ topics that aren't dominated by sex terms can be difficult.

Being able to share positive, and negative, experiences of being LGBTQ+ in Second Life without the fear of brigading is vitally important and something we're not able to do at the moment. Every single thread in General is an invite to culture wars, derailment and eventual deletion.

Simply being able to ask LGBTQ+ questions and not have is descend into debate or fisticuffs is reason enough alone.

Other topics could include shopping & finding suitably expressive body parts or mods, picture threads, sharing active locations and communities, celebrations of pride in SL.

The aim isn't to recreate general discussion, but to provide a place where members of the LGBTQ+ community feel safe posting about what can be deeply personal topics and are looking for input from those with similar life experiences.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Second Life is a mirror in many ways, dealing with SL inspired self discovery can be hard and knowing there is community with similar experiences can be of huge benefit. This was a primary topic of discussion at the support group I used to run in world.

Finding people, friends and groups related to LGBTQ+ topics that aren't dominated by sex terms can be difficult.

Being able to share positive, and negative, experiences of being LGBTQ+ in Second Life without the fear of brigading is vitally important and something we're not able to do at the moment. Every single thread in General is an invite to culture wars, derailment and eventual deletion.

Simply being able to ask LGBTQ+ questions and not have is descend into debate or fisticuffs is reason enough alone.

Other topics could include shopping & finding suitably expressive body parts or mods, picture threads, sharing active locations and communities, celebrations of pride in SL.

The aim isn't to recreate general discussion, but to provide a place where members of the LGBTQ+ community feel safe posting about what can be deeply personal topics and are looking for input from those with similar life experiences.

Love it. Make sure this (or a link to it) is in your original starter post so LL can see it at a quick glance.

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"How Second Life enabled me to become my true self"

And add this, too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I think if we can learn to ignore the baiters, and not engage, then we can discuss anything at all. It would be a great test to see if we (Royal We) can do that. It will be a great "safe space". 

Because anyplace can be a safe space / place if you stay focused on the support that is there.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You know quite well that no such proof will be required. When I haul my telescope out to my local amateur astronomy club's summer star parties, I needn't show proof of membership. Everybody is welcome. I can, however, be fairly certain I won't be bothered by the drunken moon landing deniers who've nearly poured their beers into that telescope at the county fair while looking in the wrong end and asking if they'll see aliens.

You're the best, Maddy! And by "best", I mean "most nefarious"!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You're the best, Maddy!

Do I thank you for further diluting my claim to nefariosity?

See edited post:

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You're the best, Maddy! And by "best", I mean "most nefarious"!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think if we can learn to ignore the baiters, and not engage

THIS

Instead of hoping and praying that moderation will 'do the right thing',  since we all know how that works out, this seems the best solution.   Otherwise, other marginalized groups will want their own sub forum.  Blacks, Asians, people with mental health issues, tall people, short people, child avatars, near-sighted, bald, etc, etc...all groups that face discrimination in one form or another would have to have their own.  Where will it end?  Do you actually thing LL will hire more people to moderate those forums?

I've been the target of some rather horrific posts here in recent months.  What did I do?  Ignored them.  I didn't even bother reporting them as I figured other people would.  I also received IMs from the same person.  What did I do?   Ignored, muted, reported.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

As a cis heterosexual woman, I've probably said more in this thread already than I should have, so I am going to quietly bow out (mostly) -- partially in the hope that a few others will take the hint.

I think this is a very good idea -- I especially like the idea that such a subforum could offer not merely support for people, but also a positive experience for members of the community. And given LL's apparent new interest in "community," it seems a good fit too with the overall direction the platform may be taking. And for that reason, I'm going to brazenly tag @Strawberry Linden here.

I acknowledge that there are those within that community who don't think it's a very good idea, and that's entirely cool: no community is monolithic, and discussion and debate are often good things. But I don't think that critique, or approbation, from those who are not a part of it (including me) is relevant or even necessarily appropriate. You don't need me or anyone else to opine about what is "best" for your community. Suffice it, then, to say that, like sirhc, I am "proud" to consider myself an ally.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

THIS

Instead of hoping and praying that moderation will 'do the right thing',  since we all know how that works out, this seems the best solution.   Otherwise, other marginalized groups will want their own sub forum.  Blacks, Asians, people with mental health issues, tall people, short people, child avatars, near-sighted, bald, etc, etc...all groups that face discrimination in one form or another would have to have their own.  Where will it end?  Do you actually thing LL will hire more people to moderate those forums?

I've been the target of some rather horrific posts here in recent months.  What did I do?  Ignored them.  I didn't even bother reporting them as I figured other people would.  I also received IMs from the same person.  What did I do?   Ignored, muted, reported.   

It is difficult to ignore those who with apparently good intentions, who even may say they are supporters, say we don't need an LGBT Forum. Or some version of, "Well, that would never work because XXXX."

Are they baiting? Do they believe what they say? Are they misguided? I guess none of it matters..if we (Royal We) don't rise to their challenge.

• Like 1

Ignoring a poster on a public forum only works if everyone does it. Some posts are so deliberately inflammatory it's an impossible feat, especially when turning a blind eye is tantamount to a quiet endorsement.

Specifically on the subject of racism, thankfully is already strongly moderated, abet not always as quickly as we might like especially over the weekends.

Pointing out other groups that may want there own sub forum is not an argument against the creation of an LGBTQ+ forum. I would of course welcome such requests should those communities feel the need.

LGBTQ+ topics on the other hand appear fair game for culture war opinions. It is impossible here to have an LGBTQ+ discussion here without it getting attacked and dragged into a culture war. Every single thread ends up junked. Every single time.

There are many LGBTQ+ threads I have personally wanted to start here over the years, have typed up .. and then deleted, because I didn't want to deal with the visceral back lash. I know I am not alone in this regard and I know many LGBTQ+ SL users who simply avoid these forums entirely for this reason alone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Specifically on the subject of racism, thankfully is already strongly moderated

Moderated mostly because of reporting of racist posts?   I'd think the same would work with other posts.  If someone says something truly offensive, instead of rising to the bait, (which in my opinion, is exactly what they want), report and ignore.  No amount of debating is going to change anyone's mind.   I actually agree with you and there should be a separate sub-forum.  I just don't think it will be any different than having these discussions in the General forum.  LL is not going to appoint one moderator to police said forum.  In a perfect world, yes but this is not that.

• Like 3

The separate nature of the LGBTQ+ forum would hopefully bring pause to those wishing to stir the pot by "just asking questions" or worse, such posts would be explicitly off topic and easier to report as such. Lifting the veil on "innocent" concern trolling.

At the very least it would negate the posts questioning people's validity as a jumping off point for further derailment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Moderated mostly because of reporting of racist posts?   I'd think the same would work with other posts.  If someone says something truly offensive, instead of rising to the bait, (which in my opinion, is exactly what they want), report and ignore.  No amount of debating is going to change anyone's mind.   I actually agree with you and there should be a separate sub-forum.  I just don't think it will be any different than having these discussions in the General forum.  LL is not going to appoint one moderator to police said forum.  In a perfect world, yes but this is not that.

I think people already do report posts that they find offensive.  This issue I think is with the moderation of the thread.  From what I'm hearing a thread is started, someone says something that is deemed to be offensive and all hell breaks loose.  Moderators don't have time to go through each and every thread so it simply gets closed. If a thread is closed it is still there for reading. 

If a sub-forum is created it will be no different because opinions are simply opinions and everyone is allowed to have them whether said opinion is agreed with or not. As Rowan says no amount of debating will change anyone's mind as is shown when politics and religion are discussed.  All you can do is put your thoughts out there and hope it reaches the audience it was intended for.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thinks that maybe some are not realizing that there is much conflating LGBTQ+ issues with political ones and when threads get locked, it is more because the discussion has veered into aspects of far left vs centrist left or conservative rather than just strictly LGBTQ+. Correct me if I am wrong but I didn't think to be LGBTQ+ one had to subscribe to far left positions only and yet that is the narrative that seems to run through these threads even if the political words themselves are obscured.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.