Requesting an LGBTQ+ sub forum.

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I agree its a moderation issue, not a subforum issue.

The moderation here is absolutely atrocious. All kinds of trolling, abuse and hate speech absolutely get a pass here every single time as long as there's no actual "naughty words" in it, you know, the ones that get *****s.  But as soon as you say a word that would make your grandmother giggle, okay that's the boot for you. Oh and god forbid you go off topic and start talking about cake or kittens. That's so evil it gets threads locked in an instant.

How about moderating where it's needed, and not where it isn't? Novel idea that, but the mods here would never manage it.

There is no point making an LGBT subforum here. It wold be a thousand times worse than the worst threads you've ever seen.

giphy.gif

That's the REAL issue here isn't it? People are upset about the moderation of threads and things not getting deleted that they don't like. I doubt a sub-forum would be moderated any differently. *just thought I'd get that in before this gets locked*

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Congratulations to all the homophbes and haters here, you just scored another internet point. I hope it brings you the great joy that you don't deserve.

Having a difference of opinion does not make someone a hater or a phobe.

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Opinions that harm other people should be discouraged. 

Oh for crying out loud.

Whatever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names/words will never hurt me"?  That was one of the idioms I grew up being taught and still believe in to this day.  The world would a better place if it still was.

Opinions are just that - OPINIONS.  Everyone is entitled to have them, whether you agree with them or not, like them or not.  Shouting down, canceling, drowning out, censoring opinions you don't like is way more harmful because you are effectively banning the freedom of speech and exchange of ideas and debate. 

And I'm feeling very harmed at being called "cis gendered" (which I find highly offensive) in someone's opinion up the thread, but ya know what...I put on  my big girl panties and sucked it up, which is what grown ups do.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

There is no point making an LGBT subforum here. It wold be a thousand times worse than the worst threads you've ever seen.

I'm confident we could have a welcoming and friendly space for LGBTQ discussions with clearer moderation.

The upset in this thread alone demonstrates why such a space would be a valuable addition to this board, they are put out that they wouldn't be able to continue contributing to LGBTQ threads in the manner they are used to. Simple as that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

BUT see you don't get a choice as to who posts in a forum. Is there going to be some kind of "vetting" process to be able to post in this sub forum? Will you have to present some sort of proof that you are LGBTQ+?

Why are you worried about it? Lol!

Truly, I see it as a place where we can be "on topic" without the "but the war! but the children! why is this important? I am so triggggger!", or at least we can laugh at it. Heck us just existing makes people so scared. Boo!

Are you so trigggggerrrr?

41699D47-4100-4C15-934F-6170DB161425.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The upset in this thread alone demonstrates why such a space would be a valuable addition to this board, they are put out that they wouldn't be able to continue contributing to LGBTQ threads in the manner they are used to. Simple as that.

Yes!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Truly, I see it as a place where we can be "on topic" without the "but the war! but the children! why is this important? I am so triggggger!", or at least we can laugh at it. Heck us just existing makes people so scared. Boo!

Are you aware of what my sexuality is?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

And I'm feeling very harmed at being called "cis gendered" (which I find highly offensive) in someone's opinion up the thread, but ya know what...I put on  my big girl panties and sucked it up, which is what grown ups do.  

All it means is..not Trans (in normal usage). Maybe people don't like words, when applied to them? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I'm confident we could have a welcoming and friendly space for LGBTQ discussions with clearer moderation.

What gives you any faith that the moderation would be any better than it is here? I have none whatsoever. The whole thing started last year with that conversation we had because moderators were not moderating properly.

I suspect the only person likely to get moderated here is me, for saying this out loud.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Actually, Jordan, you didn't just "suck it up."

Instead, you came into an out-of-the-way thread in order to crap on the idea that another community should be permitted to have a space of its own. A space that would literally impact upon you in absolutely no way whatsoever.

The "big girl panties" are somewhere around your ankles right now . . . maybe time to get a new pair?

This entire thread is a giant Q.E.D. as to why an LGBTQ+ forum is a legitimate ask.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Are you aware of what my sexuality is?

Nope, nor do I care. Why did you ask? My reply didn't address anything personal about you. Did I miss an opportunity, or strike a nerve? I sure didn't mean to say anything personal. Unless you don't like the "so trigger" (means: omg they are so very triggered, I suppose that explains the seemingly overreacting replies to a topic not about them).

Maybe that's it? People don't like topics "not about them"!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Nope, nor do I care. Why did you ask? My reply didn't address anything personal about you. Did I miss an opportunity, or strike a nerve? I sure didn't mean to say anything personal. Unless you don't like the "so trigger" (means: omg they are so very triggered, I suppose that explains the seemingly overreacting replies to a topic not about them).

Maybe that's it? People don't like topics "not about them"!

When someone says YOU...it's personal. 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

You can't even have a civil discussion about a sub forum without calling people opposed to the idea homophobes and haters.  No where in this thread has anyone stated they are either.  

Ya know, I clearly and constantly claim to be nefarious. Still, and to my everlasting annoyance, there are some people who don't believe me. Have you any idea how they get such contrary ideas into their puny little heads?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

*just thought I'd get that in before this gets locked*

There were a lot of "IBTL"-type posts in the other thread (which spawned this one). Makes you wonder: why are people so quick to assume? Did they report a post / the thread? Are they hoping it gets locked? Do they hate the topic, fear it? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Please don't take the bait.

This thread is facing the exact same attacks as every other LGBTQ thread on the main forum, the goal is to drag it into debate, get it off topic or inflammatory and thus deleted on a technicality before we can get a decision from @Linden Lab

Such opposition was not unexpected when I made this thread, it should serve as an example of why we need an LGBTQ forum, not as why we shouldn't.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:
58 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Opinions that harm other people should be discouraged. 

Oh for crying out loud.

Whatever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names/words will never hurt me"?  That was one of the idioms I grew up being taught and still believe in to this day.  The world would a better place if it still was.

Opinions are just that - OPINIONS.  Everyone is entitled to have them, whether you agree with them or not, like them or not.  Shouting down, canceling, drowning out, censoring opinions you don't like is way more harmful because you are effectively banning the freedom of speech and exchange of ideas and debate. 

Jordan, I'm saying hateful opinions should be discouraged, not cancelled or forced to stop what they're doing (not usually anyway, as force must be applied to school bullies, for example).

Like at the water cooler at work, when some jerk makes a joke with the N word, or calls someone a f*g.  I would say, "hey, that's rude, I'd like you to stop being so rude to members of our world who deserve respect".

If we had done that for decades perhaps we would not have seen the gay bashings and murders that still exist today, or the lynchings of Blacks so common in earlier times.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ok then. Sorry if you took "personal offense", guess you can't please everyone.

BINGO! again. You can't please everyone. It would be the same response I would put if someone took offense to something I said. Do you see how ironic that is?

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
46 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

You can't even have a civil discussion about a sub forum without calling people opposed to the idea homophobes and haters.  No where in this thread has anyone stated they are either.  

Ya know, I clearly and constantly claim to be nefarious. Still, and to my everlasting annoyance, there are some people who don't believe me. Have you any idea how they get such contrary ideas into their puny little heads?

Thanks for highlighting the comedy in this, Maddy. Best birthday present ever!

Its like you can't act like a XXXX without being called an XXXX! <= replace XXXX with anything at all.

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Actually, Jordan, you didn't just "suck it up."

Instead, you came into an out-of-the-way thread in order to crap on the idea that another community should be permitted to have a space of its own. A space that would literally impact upon you in absolutely no way whatsoever.

The "big girl panties" are somewhere around your ankles right now . . . maybe time to get a new pair?

Actually I didn't crap on the idea of there being a space or subforum for this community.  If it will make people happy, I support it.  I did make the point that it wouldn't impact me by saying that it doesn't affect my life so I have no problem with it...maybe you missed that part.

I took a bit of offense to a comment aimed at MY community...the heterosexual one and commented on that.  Am I calling anyone a hetero-phobe?  Am I name calling anyone or being rude or obnoxious to anyone?  I didn't think so, so the vitriol is a bit uncalled for.

And my knickers can't be around my ankles when I'm actually not wearing any.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

BINGO! again. You can't please everyone. It would be the same response I would put if someone took offense to something I said. Do you see how ironic that is?

Nope. You're so far off-topic, I'm completely lost now. Happens a lot.

14 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Such opposition was not unexpected when I made this thread, it should serve as an example of why we need an LGBTQ forum, not as why we shouldn't.

I think those who are interested in getting the subforum made should keep offering ideas of how we'd use it so LL has something concrete to take into consideration.

If that makes sense. This coffee ain't strong enough this morning *pokes mug*.

In other words - more ideas, guys. What topics would you like to see in the subforum?

Edit: Let me also suggest adding a list of topics/ideas offered throughout the thread into your very first post so LL can see it up front and center.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added suggestion
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nope. You're so far off-topic, I'm completely lost now. Happens a lot.

Cover your eyes...stick your finger in your ear and sing lalalala. That's the attitude that you have for anyone that doesn't have the same opinion as you. I can see why you are lost.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.