Requesting an LGBTQ+ sub forum.

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of Second Life's enduring super powers is allowing people to tailor their own identity in ways their first lives might not permit, providing a safe doorway to self exploration. As a result, Second Life is a huge draw to the LGBTQ+ community and is well represented in world with locations, events, support groups and so on. There should be a place on these forums to openly discuss these topics as arising from a persons use of Second Life and community participation.

Our threads elsewhere on the forums routinely draw attacks, trolling, transphobia, homophobia and biphobia, causing them to invariably get shut down and locked.

I would like to see a clean up focus to moderation in this forum that aims to preserve ongoing discussions between community members.

3ZSJaNy.png

Forums > People Forums > LGBTQ+

• Like 19
  • Thanks 13

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I would like to see a clean up focus to moderation in this forum that aims to preserve ongoing discussions between community members.

This is the key point, I think.

There needs to be a place where members of this community can have discussions without harassment, and without the risk of such harassment leading to threads being shut down or removed. Right now it's far too easy to derail and effectively kill threads dealing with LGBTQ+ issues.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I will support this proposal, IF it can be moderated in a way that keeps it a safe space for LGBT+ people.  

I just posted this, in the thread that prompted this idea:

And you know, it's terrible to think that in the 21st century that I, as a member of the LGBT+ community, do not feel that the Second Life forum is a safe place for LGBT+ people to express their opinions.  There is a lot - far too much - transphobia and homophobia here, and if a young or vulnerable trans or gay person asked me if this was good place to be themselves, I would have to say no, and would recommend that they use a similar forum elsewhere.

That's a really bad sign - when a member of a community recommends that other, more vulnerable members of the same community should go elsewhere for support.

I would hope very much that the admins and moderators of this forum are able to change that situation.

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

SL can be a positive resource for exploring your identity and becoming who you really are. My 11 years here have helped me a lot and I totally support anythnig that makes it a more secure place for LGBTQ+ people, express their views and not suffer trans and homophobia.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

What will prevent the same people from going in the sub forum and voicing their opinions in the same way they do in the LGBTQ+ created threads now?  You can't keep people out of threads because you disagree with them or their opinion.  In a perfect world everyone would agree with everyone and then there would be no need for a discussion forum at all. Who gets to decide who is transphobic or homophobic? The members or the moderators?  I don't see a sub forum being moderated any differently than it already is in the main forum. That being said, a sub forum would be helpful only to find the information more easily. I just  don't agree with it being moderated any differently than any other thread on the forum.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I just  don't agree with it being moderated any differently than any other thread on the forum.

All sub forums are moderated differently with a view to the subject matter of the forum. People > General just get's a far wider interpretation of what's considered off topic.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

All sub forums are moderated differently with a view to the subject matter of the forum. People > General just get's a far wider interpretation of what's considered off topic.

Oh really? Where is this information documented. I'd like to read it.  I'm not talking about off topic posts.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you don't like someone's opinion then you have the right to block/mute them or simply not respond to a post. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It is documented in their actions.

While the moderation team and Linden Lab are a fair bit more lax in presenting what is and is not actionable within the Forum as a whole and each individual sub-section, the way the moderation is done has been more or less similar to other fora: Generalized guidelines and rules given for the Forum as a whole, some sub-sections listing additional rules and none of them having an exhaustive list of what is and is not actionable.

So ... You can stop with that.

• Like 3

Maybe we need a Chill Zone section, so people can stop being so reactive and p rickly with each other. Or maybe we need a shooting gallery game, so they can go shoot zombies or something. (Btw, if you want to shoot zombies, I have a house in my neighborhood that still needs clearing out.)

I agree that there have been too many LGBTQ+ negative posts lately. We can address these views with our responses, but if there were a sub-forum especially for LGBTQ issues, the ignorant people might not bother with it as much, so newbies could feel more comfortable posting there.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
to add + to LGBTQ+
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

"Or maybe we need a shooting gallery game, so they can go shoot zombies or something. (Btw, if you want to shoot zombies, I have a house in my neighborhood that still needs clearing out.)"

Forgive the off topic post, but I would REALLY like to go shoot zombies!!!!  😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Why not both ?

the community that wants so badly to be the same, wants it seperate again?

For me a no thanks.
The stricter moderation also can be implemented in the current forums on certain subjects.

( for the ones that don't know, i'm gay)

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I agree that there have been too many LGBTQ+ negative posts lately. 

That's for sure true, but often shot down by their own participants. There is less tollerance in that community than in the other camps.
( in my opinion because al new subgroups get added while those sometimes aren hardly part of it)

• Like 4

I like the idea of a sub-forum. No "requirement" to make sure we discuss the current war, wherever it happens to be. No "requirement" that we pin a post of tissues for the bitter tears of those who would silence us. No "requirement" that we be ready at a moment's notice to comfort the triggered 'phobes. I'm in!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

What will prevent the same people from going in the sub forum and voicing their opinions in the same way they do in the LGBTQ+ created threads now? 

A dedicated sub-forum would be a "clue" for those same people. The sub-forum name may, if they notice it, help them to understand that they are in a minority there. This in turn, may help them realize that their perceived "power" has no meaning there. That their rhetoric is pointless and will be ignored at best. I can think of at least 2 Bob Dylan songs with lyrics that apply: Ballad of a Thin Man, and Like a Rolling Stone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Much like there is no hetero pride.

I wasn't gonna say anything cos whether or not there is a dedicated sub-forum won't affect my life either way, but that comment really burned my britches. 

You know why there is "no hetero pride"?  Cos we're not allowed to have any!  Its "-phobic" or "-ist" to be proud of being white, proud of being hetero, proud of being a woman.  So we're not allowed to be proud of who we are.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.