Chastity within virtual worlds

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

39 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It would be difficult to get an idea of the majority since to me it was directed at those who do engage in slex and asking how they view those who do not. The majority of reactions and comments however were by those who do not engage in slex. It would be like a poll geared to Conservatives on how they view Liberals where the Liberals would then comment on how valid of a poll they think it is. I'm sure you realize that no matter how the poll was put, the majority of Liberals would be highly critical of it.

The original question did not specify who it was directed to.  It's an open query regarding how you view those who don't "get horizontal" in SL.  No restrictions were placed on respondents.  It's a public forum, and that's how these things tend to work, whether or not you personally saw it that way.

Since you brought statistics into it, I went through and tabulated responses, whether or not people had issues with the matter at hand, whether or not they personally engaged or did not disclose same, or whether they were just all "huh?" about the question being asked in the first place. 

Of those who responded to the question at hand, 1 person took issue with those who don't engage, and 24 said there was no problem if folks don't want to get jiggy with it in SL.  Of the 24 who said there was no problem, 7 don't personally participate, 5 do participate, and 12 others did not disclose their status (as, again, one's intimacy in SL is no one's business but that avatar's alone).

13 people didn't state an opinion, but have no clue why this is even a thing.

As for the political slant, that's utterly ridiculous.  I have friends in SL of all political persuasions, and I'd say most of them would take some umbrage with how the question was worded, I don't care how they voted.  But then again, I tend not to hang out with people who would judge someone for preferring not to bump pixels in SL, because that's just flatly ridiculous.  In fact, most of my conservative friends would be totally fine with it as it fits within their moral framework.

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
Math is hard.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7

What an interesting discussion. Wait. It's about me.

I'd like to say that I am not judging anyone or suggesting anyone judge others. Please don't read too much into my posts. I felt it was too prying to ask people about their own sex life. Seemed like a great idea to ask for their opinions about other people. I was genuinely interested in what people would say and made the question a little spicy out of boredom. Seems that I added a little too much spice.

Anyways, I'll try to make my next thread less incendiary. It's going to be about religions of the world.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I'd like to say that I am not judging anyone or suggesting anyone judge others. Please don't read too much into my posts. I felt it was too prying to ask people about their own sex life. Seemed like a great idea to ask for their opinions about other people. I was genuinely interested in what people would say and made the question a little spicy out of boredom. Seems that I added a little too much spice.

Anyways, I'll try to make my next thread less incendiary. It's going to be about religions of the world.

Let me go get my suit. BRB

414ZVy9kDVL._AC_SY450_.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Bree did not ask the question until after labeling people. That labeling IS a judgement. Bree asked us about how we view those "others", which both makes an unwarranted presumption about forumites and attempts to exclude those she's labeled.

Bree qualified the labeling by pointing out that at least some were self-labeled. No doubt there are more words that could be used but how many was she supposed to have listed so that everybody would be happy that they were included in the labeling?

This seems a little bit of straw grasping,  Madelaine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Ok, there you are! Welcome back, and yay!

Let's put this one to bed, maybe, then?

And if you could give some advance notice of the religion thread, I'll make sure I clear my calendar for it. 😏

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

How exactly did you arrive at that conclusion? When I read the black text of the conversation, it appeared that the majority of the comments were from people who didn't give enough information to determine whether they did or didn't engage. Did you make an assumption?

I looked mostly at the negative reactions to the original post. Majority of those were from people who expressed either in this thread or have in others, their slex status.

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Bree qualified the labeling by pointing out that at least some were self-labeled. No doubt there are more words that could be used but how many was she supposed to have listed so that everybody would be happy that they were included in the labeling?

Why label at all?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

The original question did not specify who it was directed to.  It's an open query regarding how you view those who don't "get horizontal" in SL.  No restrictions were placed on respondents.  It's a public forum, and that's how these things tend to work, whether or not you personally saw it that way.

Since you brought statistics into it, I went through and tabulated responses, whether or not people had issues with the matter at hand, whether or not they personally engaged or did not disclose same, or whether they were just all "huh?" about the question being asked in the first place. 

Of those who responded to the question at hand, 1 person took issue with those who don't engage, and 24 said there was no problem if folks don't want to get jiggy with it in SL.  Of the 24 who said there was no problem, 7 don't personally participate, 5 do participate, and 12 others did not disclose their status (as, again, one's intimacy in SL is no one's business but that avatar's alone).

13 people didn't state an opinion, but have no clue why this is even a thing.

As for the political slant, that's utterly ridiculous.  I have friends in SL of all political persuasions, and I'd say most of them would take some umbrage with how the question was worded, I don't care how they voted.  But then again, I tend not to hang out with people who would judge someone for preferring not to bump pixels in SL, because that's just flatly ridiculous.  In fact, most of my conservative friends would be totally fine with it as it fits within their moral framework.

The political slant was an analogy. And yes, you're right, in that it didn't exactly specify who should respond, however what would be the sense of a non-slexer sharing their view of another non-slexer?

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

The political slant was an analogy. And yes, you're right, in that it didn't exactly specify who should respond, however what would be the sense of a non-slexer sharing their view of another non-slexer?

Theeeeyyyyyyy could point out possible reasons for being a non-slexer through experience?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And if you could give some advance notice of the religion thread, I'll make sure I clear my calendar for it. 

As interesting as that might be, you know it won't last. Surely a mod will put an end to it within four or five pages just on general principle.

14 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

This seems a little bit of straw grasping,  Madelaine.

The most important label Bree used was "other". That's not a straw, that's a damned log.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'd say it would reveal a diverse list reasons for that decision.  Some people aren't virtually intimate because they're in a monogamous RL relationship with someone who's not an SL resident, and they would consider it cheating.  Some people aren't virtually intimate because they'd rather have the real thing.  Some people aren't virtually intimate because it's not something they're into regardless of whether it's in the virtual or physical world.  Ad infinitum, ad nauseum...

It's the same as reasons for why people do engage in adult activities in SL.  Some people do because it's there, so why not?  Some are virtually intimate with their RL spouse only.  Some because their RL may not let them engage in activities about which they're curious, and SL is a good outlet for that.  Again, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

A simple "do you or don't you" isn't going to reveal just one reason for either option.  Humanity is many things, but rarely a monolith especially with regard to matters of this nature and the reasons they make their decisions about same.

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
I'm too tired to English. Going to bed :P
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It would be difficult to get an idea of the majority since to me it was directed at those who do engage in slex and asking how they view those who do not. The majority of reactions and comments however were by those who do not engage in slex. It would be like a poll geared to Conservatives on how they view Liberals where the Liberals would then comment on how valid of a poll they think it is. I'm sure you realize that no matter how the poll was put, the majority of Liberals would be highly critical of it.

Actually the majority said that whether or not we engage in sex is nobody's business.  I know that I didn't specify one way or another that I don't engage in sex in SL. I may have said at the moment I don't but you are making an assumption that everyone who saw the OP's post as negative does not engage in sex.  

Of course let's bring politics into it now because that's how this forum rolls.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

I'd like to say that I am not judging anyone or suggesting anyone judge others

You have the right to judge people, but you can't be free to express it.

Your perception is your right, you just need to be careful in expressing it, because it will affect other people's views of you.

rememver there are some people really live in SL.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.