Is this forum too nice?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Once upon a time the SL forums were a flame-fest to rival Twitter. That got very old, very fast and I stoped visiting.

I have *issues* with the way potentially contentious themes are sometimes locked pre-emptively under the current management, but I have also not encountered “total despair of civilized conversation” either and have remained here for a long while.

I look at it like this; people who MUST flame and belittle others can Tweet and Post away on other platforms.

I’ll go with what we have here for as long as things remain civil 🙂

image.gif

• Like 8

The days that a topic advanced several pages before one even could type a reaction to the OP are long gone.
So one has the chance to think longer before one posts and will still be relevant to the discussion. That helps.
Plus, with a lot less people using the forums, one gets to know each other easier and better. That helps too. Bitching to a stranger is easier than to someone you know pretty well.

Most newbs that are coming to SL lately are in fact returning oldies starting all over. They know the ropes of the forums already if they are interested to participate.
So they don't really have to test the waters to know how far they can go. It all adds up to get a nicer forum.

And trolls and spammers?  They are as old as the Internet. That genre will never die out I guess, but more and more Internet users are experienced enough by now to spot them from a mile away. So their impact is not as huge as it once was in the more early days of the www.

And no, these forums are not too nice, but became a lot nicer over the years.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 9

Ive only seen one forum nicer than this, and it is only because the moderation is BRUTAL and there is a list of rules as long as the forum itself.

Forums in general becoming nice I think is the result of being less populated than 10 years ago, so it allows admins to keep a closer look.  The oposite happened to other social media, like facebook or twitter, where moderation is mostly automated and as soon as you know how to get past the AI it´s a free for all.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Istelathis said:

For someone seeking to sow the seeds of corruption, and interested in causing instability in a community, forums do not offer quite as much opportunity.  They have greener fields where there is a larger and more captive audience.

That's not how it works. Larger audiences are harder to gauge and control. Trolls are lazy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Is this forum too nice?

Or at least they try.

.. more specific... for me... did i get nice(r)? ... i really try,
i'm nearly never in threads anymore that get a lock (note..not counting  Tama's ... )
ánd no warnings since 2020  :) (2018 was worst in that matter)

• Like 3

I'm nice 😻

I do think that overall, this is one of the nicer forums I've been on. I think at least part of that is the demographics of SL itself, which tends to skew older rather than younger. And forums too, no-one new joins forums any more, they are all going straight to discord and tik tok or whatever the latest thing is.  

Everywhere online gets trolls at least sometimes, some places more than others. 

• Like 6

Too nice? I think everyone here just got used to the tone here. I don't know if it is a cultural thing but the definition of "nice" is a very different one for different people I learned in SL.

Europeans have a harsher sense of humor, and claim the Americans are fake friendly.

Americans call Europeans rude and unfriendly.

And that's just one example I met through the years haha 

But this difference was one reason that kept me in SL, I admired to learn all about the differences and I improved my English alot. 

But new comers here often get told off as trolls, or harshly snarked at that they should use the search function etc. This forum is really far from too nice, the undertones are very passive agressive way too often, sadly. 

It's like the longer the people here use the forums the more jaded they get and the less they are taking any, potential trolls or such. Some people got a little oversensitive with time, and I can totally understand that lol 

Inworld I don't even bother with dudes sending the occasional "Hi" anymore for example x3 at the beginning I tried to answer always and was wondering what went wrong when they didn't answer any further, today I know and I don't bother with them anymore, and I am sure I rare sometimes ignored someone who did not deserve it. X3 

And I think the moderators here would have an opinion about it that would be fun to hear XD 

Too nice? Nah. There is always room for improvement. Are we ok? We try x3 so yes ! 

And lately I really only saw one very disgustingly annoying troll in these halls, so I think we have improved.

〜(꒪꒳꒪)〜

• Like 5

One reason why, perhaps, some people here might be at least a little hesitant to throw themselves bodily into helping someone "new" is that, on occasion, it turns out that the "new" person isn't actually so "new" after all . . . and has in fact been trolling the forum in the hope of . . . well, I'm not sure what? Making those who try to help look "foolish"?

I am still very much of the opinion that it is better to take that risk and help someone who may indeed need assistance, than it is to ignore them on the off-chance that they are trolling you.

And in the final analysis, who really comes out looking bad in such a context?

But it can be a bit of a struggle, maybe, to be "nice" when there are those who seek to take advantage of that.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

But new comers here often get told off as trolls, or harshly snarked at that they should use the search function

Maybe because the first words out of their mouths are blanket insults — and they should use search instead of expecting others to do it for them?

It gets old.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Did your Tama Suki account got suspended?

🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽🌽 🌽 👨‍🌾 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽👻  🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 📺 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽

🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽  🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽  🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Haha 7

The forums give access to opinions of some truly legendary creators and residents.
It's wonderful to read the views of these people which "Meta tripe" has elevated to practical sainthood.
I've seen practically everybody "lose it a bit" every now and then, myself included.
But it's quite a calm, happy place to be now.
Pic below was obviously after the good old days. 

Warnings 2022-02-07 210941.jpg

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 2

@yestothisIt seems relatively friendly there as well, at least when I browse through it on the rare occasion.  I don't like the style reddit uses for their threads, I forget what it is called but I remember it being more popular in the earlier 2000s on some forums.  MeWe also has a Second Life group that I rarely follow, but it doesn't seem as active. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yestothis said:

The forum is heavily moderated. If you want real second life users, go to the second life subreddit. 

I'm a member over there. I rarely log in these days. BUT your post  reads to me like : want more *****ery come on over.

• Like 2

Maybe it's that people have learned how to disagree and debate without so many personal attacks. If you disagree with something I say and give your reasons without calling me a moron or such, I'm a lot more likely to read what you say. That doesn't mean I'll necessarily agree with you or change my position (that does happen occasionally though), but I'll at least give your viewpoint some consideration.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.