Not worth it.

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I went to Uber today. There was a clothing set that came as two demos. Each demo came in a folder and had to be unpacked. I  unpacked both demos into new folders. In each folder, there were only more demos to be unpacked. Every single item in the demo had to be unpacked separately. I stopped and threw it all in the trash.

• Like 19

29 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I went to Uber today. There was a clothing set that came as two demos. Each demo came in a folder and had to be unpacked. I  unpacked both demos into new folders. In each folder, there were only more demos to be unpacked. Every single item in the demo had to be unpacked separately. I stopped and threw it all in the trash.

I hate multiple unpack items.

• Like 11

In a slightly contrary view, I ALWAYS save a copy everything I buy, so I detest stores putting unpacked folders straight into my inventory [Blueberry, for instance].  And I don't buy no-copy things, ever.  It just means I have to go somewhere I can rezz a box to pack it.  Multiple layers of packing are, however, a pain, especially for a demo.

• Like 2

chucking stuff in the bin is taking action. Not telling the shopkeeper why we chucked it in the bin is taking action. Not ever shopping in their store anymore is also taking action

and if the storekeeper ever did care about why people are not buying their stuff then they could ask

a FYI for shopkeepers who do need to include multiple versions in the same vendor box

there is a LSL function designed specifically for this situation: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGiveInventoryList

Edited by Mollymews
mult
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

In a slightly contrary view, I ALWAYS save a copy everything I buy, so I detest stores putting unpacked folders straight into my inventory [Blueberry, for instance].

Same here. Never know when some redelivery system goes down or a merchant decides to quit sl without a single notice, so I have a backup folder with everything that's worth keeping. For blueberry you can get a redelivery right after purchasing their stuff, and it'll be boxed. At least it always was before; been a few months since I've got anything there.

-----

As for the boxed demos. I don't really mind if it's something I want. Compared to amount of clicking required to use SL it's really nothing. I even know what outfit from Uber is mentioned here, and it's awesome.

• Like 2

I remember a thread in the past that was all about how the person hated .. HATED that folders were unpacked into inventory automatically when making purchases. They wanted a box to appear and unpack the box themselves. What really surprised me about that thread was just how many people agreed with the OP.  Just goes to show you that you can't please everyone. 

I honestly don't care either way. As a shopper if I like the appearance of the item enough to pick up a demo I'm going to unpack it, if necessary, to try it on. A few clicks isn't an issue. Do I prefer to get everything at once in a folder? Sure, I do, but it's certainly not an issue if some unpacking is involved.

• Like 3

Chiming in here - yes, please give us a back-up folder if everything comes unpacked when purchased - I'd prefer not to have to make my own back-ups . 

And please, don't unpack as soon as I attach the HUD - let me click it. Sometimes I just want to see if a certain meshbody version is in the pack, not have it all spew into my inventory.

But... horses for courses... this is just my preferences.

ETA: And as for boxes within boxes (not including a back-up box) - goes red in the face and splutters... no, just no! At least as far as clothing is concerned!

Edited by Emma Krokus
  • Like 1

I do dislike demos that I have to unpack that are in a HUD specially when I'm at an event when its busy and I have to wait for the HUD to even attach before unpacking it.  Its just more time I'm taking up at an event thats filled. And if I have to leave to unpack and try on then chances are I'm less likely to purchase it. Most of the time I forget, or I forget what event I got the demo at...

I do ❤️ unpacking HUDs that auto detach after I receive the items!  Special thanks to those creators!

• Like 2

Just to clarify. I do like a box that unpacks for actual items that I buy. I save all those boxes in a folder and it's convenient to unpack a fresh version of the product. For demos, I don't mind if I have to unpack a demo. The frustration was that this one demo was like a Russian nesting doll with unpacked boxes within unpacked boxes. After going to an event, I'm already unpacking many demos but just having to unpack multiple times for a single outfit demo is crazy. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Just to clarify. I do like a box that unpacks for actual items that I buy. I save all those boxes in a folder and it's convenient to unpack a fresh version of the product. For demos, I don't mind if I have to unpack a demo. The frustration was that this one demo was like a Russian nesting doll with unpacked boxes within unpacked boxes. After going to an event, I'm already unpacking many demos but just having to unpack multiple times for a single outfit demo is crazy. 

I ran into the same issue this week as well at another event. One demo box held 1 accessory box, 1 shirt box (with 3 versions of the shirt), 1 pants box ( with 3 versions of the pants) All of which had to be unpacked. All of which could have been one Demo each with demo huds for the textures. Unpacking 8 times to demo one outfit was ridiculously tedious.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

and while we are at it, please include a copy of the Vendor Picture, so I can file the damn thing to show what's in the box.

And don't make the Vendor Picture no copy or it will be ripped off the box when you rez and get contents put in inventory.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2022 at 11:07 AM, Mollymews said:

and if the storekeeper ever did care about why people are not buying their stuff then they could ask

You mean like randomly harass people who ever bought a demo but did not respond any further with a sale, with questionnaires and evaluation forms?
That would not be a big success either, I guess.
I for instance would not like it at all if SL merchants started doing this.

Problem is, in SL stores are in 99% of the cases kept going by only one person: the creator.
A good creator can be bad at managing or marketing or both. And someone good at marketing can be mediocre at best at creating etc etc, there are a lot of combinations possible. Not everybody is good in every field. Most likely there are flaws here or there.
My suggestion: contact a merchant that you think might be a good creator, to tell him or her about what bothers you in their marketing approach in a friendly way and see what happens.

Edited by Sid Nagy
I obviously need more coffee, too much editing going on.
  • Like 3

The easier to try the demo, the easier to buy. If I take a demo home because it takes to long to unpack it, it will be forgotten and deleted the next time I try to clean up. I type inn "demo" as search in the inventory, I do not see closer on things.

I must demo it in front of the vendor, fast and easy.

• Like 2

'Keep it simple, stupid (KISS) is a design principle which states that designs and/or systems should be as simple as possible. Wherever possible, complexity should be avoided in a system—as simplicity guarantees the greatest levels of user acceptance and interaction.'

The KISS method is very usable in education, at meetings and in marketing as well and as a merchant in SL too. I'm pretty sure about that.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Yup. Next up: coffee!
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

The easier to try the demo, the easier to buy. If I take a demo home because it takes to long to unpack it, it will be forgotten and deleted the next time I try to clean up. I type inn "demo" as search in the inventory, I do not see closer on things.

I must demo it in front of the vendor, fast and easy.

I always take demos home to try them on. The only things I buy on the spot are furnishing/clutter items. I want to try the items of clothing on with things I already own. I want to spend some time dancing and walking in the clothing. Perhaps that's another reason that unpacking doesn't bother me at all. I'm not one of those to buy something quickly. Making a purchase is always time consuming for me. So my only problem is with timed demos. Unpacking? nah, just part of the process. :) 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

You mean like randomly harass people who ever bought a demo but did not respond any further with a sale, with questionnaires and evaluation forms?
That would not be a big success either, I guess.
I for instance would not like it at all if SL merchants started doing this.

Problem is, in SL stores are in 99% of the cases kept going by only one person: the creator.

on the first, some shopkeepers do come into the Commerce forum and ask for feedback. Some do this also thru their shop groups

on the second, the SL sole proprietor is no different to the RL sole proprietor who has to do it all themselves also. Am not suggesting that is easy, it isn't in any world to be a sole proprietor, is just that the problems are the same. And if the sole proprietor doesn't make time to do all the necessary support functions the business isn't going to be successful

for sure tho we can help them as you say, but personally I am never going to tell a creator what they should or not do to help their business

at best I will sometimes commission a work but only if is an insignificant amount of work for the creator. Like I bought a jewellery piece one time for L$20 - no demo. Turned out to be no-modify and was not sized to fit my avatar. I really like the craft work tho. So I wrote to the creator, asked if I could have a modify version for L$200. They delivered to me the next day and said no charge. I gave them the L$200 with a note saying they will go broke if they keep doing stuff for free when they have overheads to pay. They reply: thanks! and we were done

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

and while we are at it, please include a copy of the Vendor Picture, so I can file the damn thing to show what's in the box.

I would like to add to the wish list: Please don't forget to include a box of chocolates with sea salt and caramel flavor (size xxl prefered)  🙃

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 1/27/2022 at 3:18 PM, Bree Giffen said:

I bought that demo, and yes it was so bad that I can see why you came to the forums to post about it! I ended up giving up and just buying the outfit without demoing it because that designer is my favourite in all of SL but........ it was crazy high priced and I am sure lots of other people would just have given up and passed on it. Especially if you have finally got into Uber, and have to unpack things in the lag.

13 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I really wish stores would do this too. Doux, I am looking at you. I have so much hair from that store, not a single vendor picture. Either have to try it all on or look at his Flickr every time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Either have to try it all on or look at his Flickr every time.

Something I did, when I was on a shopping spree during the Black Friday sales, was to just make a reference card of the new hair styles I'd gotten. Occasionally when I'm trying to put together a look I'll just have a look at it and see if there's anything that would suit it.

Magika-ref.png

2 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

it was crazy high priced and I am sure lots of other people would just have given up and passed on it.

I ended up passing on it. It's a shame, really, it did look very nice. The price just made me chortle and go 'no effing way'. 

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.