Why SL is been left out of the current metaverse hype?

Oct Oyen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Metaverse hasn't a chance. SL for all its foibles is a place that gives folk freedom to be what they want to be. Metaverse hype more of tell folk what they can be. By ignoring SL and saying this is new is not doing SL harm but Metaverse and I am not sorry about that.

Anyway being unique is not a bad thing. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This is the problem though .. if you build a world with no adult content, then it's never going to attract anyone's interest.

Not specifically because of the lack of adult content, but because by censoring that, the platform implicitly censors a whole lot of other stuff (even if they actually, technically, don't).

If a platform has adult content, prudes latch onto that and shout up a storm.

Give the same prudes a whole new world with no adult content (Sansar), do they move over .. nope, because it's boring.

Which I guess boils down to, if your virtual world isn't aggressively progressive, it's dead.

The only way you are gonna get adult content mainstream is if you made SL 18 plus or even recreated a teen/ family grid. That and you had some way to appease the investors. Like actually seeing if people are actually age of majority in their country. And no credit card is not enough to verify age. A kid can get ahold of their parents credit card and use it to access adult content. Then I can see investors not being so iffy on having adult content. Until something like that is introduced. We are gonna have to deal with a more family friendly platform. 

• Like 1

They don't bring up second life because Facebook has plans to make it into something else. From my understanding, it's going to support BOTH VR, and Third person style of game play.

And I'm sure they'll probably add Facebook MetaVerse on Steam.

Edit: I'm sure facebook possibly has plans as well how fix alot of issues second life also lacked, such as terrible performance on Computers, Kids pretending to be adults, and so on.

Edited by Rob Huntsman
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Yeah they should plain and simple. But parents think that checking in on their kids and see what they are doing on their devices is invasion of privacy these days.

So, someone else should be forced to do it for them? Maybe they shouldn't have had kids. 🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

What are you getting on about?

How about we just make it 18+ and just trust people to manage their children like responsible parents they are and we don't have to worry about age verification since whatever could be done kids are smart enough to circumvent.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hunny Bunny said:

How about we just make it 18+ and just trust people to manage their children like responsible parents they are and we don't have to worry about age verification since whatever could be done kids are smart enough to circumvent.

That is a good idea too. But using a credit card to verify age, isn't enough.

• Like 1

SL had a teen and education membership back in 2007. I recent met a girl who was a part of the SL Teen program. According to her, teen members can't leave the designated sims and she says her perviness has nothing to do been SL Teen program lol.

LL could do the family oriented sims again, but the problem is the physics engine sucks! No physic based inworld games can created with this ancient engine. Without it, it's just a 3D chat room.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Oct Oyen said:

SL had a teen and education membership back in 2007. I recent met a girl who was a part of the SL Teen program. According to her, teen members can't leave the designated sims and she says her perviness has nothing to do been SL Teen program lol.

LL could do the family oriented sims again, but the problem is the physics engine sucks! No physic based inworld games can created with this ancient engine. Without it, it's just a 3D chat room.

They still.do allow families and children 13+ on specific G rated sims.  There is a process the parent must go through to allow it.  Someone actually ran a camp for them this past summer or last.

Well, actually........^.^ 😊
The Big Z sent me a secret e-mail asking for Meta design tips!
...readers nodding along...
So I thought long and hard and came up with.....🤩 see pic...
WHAT?! OMG... WAIT! You said Meta Verse?
ooooh sheeeet - soweeee Mark.😖
Dayum. 🤔 There goes mah pampered future on EZ street...😪

metahearse.jpg

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

They still.do allow families and children 13+ on specific G rated sims.  There is a process the parent must go through to allow it.  Someone actually ran a camp for them this past summer or last.

If I remember it correctly, teen sims back in 2007 were off limit to everyone except for the teen members.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.