Why SL is been left out of the current metaverse hype?

Oct Oyen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1. Double-check your email address. Make sure the address on your account is spelled correctly. If you need to make a change, you can update your email address in your account settings.
2. Click the "try sending a message again" link within the yellow warning and Twitter will try to deliver your email again. If you email continues to bounce back as undeliverable, this yellow warning will return to let you know that they're having trouble delivering emails to your address.
3. If the issue persists, go to your account settings and change your email address to a new one.

Furzona vid may appeal to the Neko crowd, but average peeps are just gonna go eeeew? wtf?🙄.
Combined with typo in end credits, (forever as two words was it?), makes it all rather average unfortunately. 
SL could already do it so much better. 
Come on LL step up with dance vid competitions or something🤔
Ps: May as well change my system name to M -> ECHO echo echo echo <-.
Been saying pretty much this same thing for a pixel lifetime. 🤨 
BPM/dance synch is THE winner. In advertising as well.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 4:28 PM, Oct Oyen said:

Yet all these metaverse buzz from tech articles have no mention of SL.

As the saying goes, "Be careful what you wish for!"

Breathless Praise Of 'Metaverse' Rave Draws Unfavorable Comparisons To 'Second Life'

For many, Moss' clip of the Metaverse NFT rave did not capture the limitless potential of the Metaverse as described by its champions, but rather the blocky, janky textures of Second Life — the 2003 life simulation game that was a minor fad in the 2000s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cinos Field said:

Second Life not having any crypto or NFT scams baked into it is exactly why it's going to outlast all of the competitors. Pyramid schemes can't last, but a world built on - at least to some extent - genuine interest can.

^^^^ This, 1000 times. ^^^^

For all its faults, SL has solid economical foundations. The slow and steady nature of the SL economy is not going to appeal to the flashy tech bro NFT scammers and would go a long to explaining why SL is being overlooked and/or casually put down. SL's economy is too tightly regulated for scammers to operate. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a fair amount of the hype for this 'new' metaverse is just front-end bait set out by Ponzi scammers looking to hook in new victims.

• Like 7

Do not allow new users to attach objects or remove clothing if not premium. If adult access is desired must be premium and the charge card user will receive on their banking state should show title LL Second Life Adult Access. Users should be warned that charge will say this to help prevent children from using their parent's banking information. The adult access would then unlock adult content on marketplace and regions with adult ratings. I don't have time to go into specifics but something like this might help. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Do not allow new users to attach objects or remove clothing if not premium.

Or, better still!

Don't allow avatars to move unless they're premium.

I mean, at all. Basic accounts can just stand wherever they rez, and watch all the Premiums accounts have fun, probably dancing in circles around them and taunting them.

This will also prevent Basic accounts from inadvertently wandering into a club where their users, and the children undoubtedly watching the computer screen over their shoulders, might be exposed to short skirts and, you know . . . cleavage. And stuff.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Do not allow new users to attach objects or remove clothing if not premium. If adult access is desired must be premium and the charge card user will receive on their banking state should show title LL Second Life Adult Access. Users should be warned that charge will say this to help prevent children from using their parent's banking information. The adult access would then unlock adult content on marketplace and regions with adult ratings. I don't have time to go into specifics but something like this might help. 

This is serious issue, no room for humor. I don't want SL to be compared to adult cartoon games on phub.

I would also recommend a letter of verification be sent to anyone seeking adult access to be filled in, signed, dated, returned to sl. 

In the united states I am not allowed to purchase cigs, alcohol, or go into a music video night club without showing ID. Virtual should not be any different. And if you have ever lost your wallet with SS card and DL in it, it is not easy to get replacements for a reason. Age verification should not be simple. It should be as difficult as possible to prevent children from being exploited and recruited into virtual sex trafficking by virtual sex trafficking recruiters. We know they are in world. I would like to know how Linden Lab will handle this. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Age verification should not be simple. It should be as difficult as possible to prevent children from being exploited and recruited into virtual sex trafficking by virtual sex trafficking recruiters. We know they are in world.

I would be very interested to see proof of this.

Who is "we," and how do "we know"?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Paulsian said:
53 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

This is serious issue, no room for humor. I don't want SL to be compared to adult cartoon games on phub.

I would also recommend a letter of verification be sent to anyone seeking adult access to be filled in, signed, dated, returned to sl. 

In the united states I am not allowed to purchase cigs, alcohol, or go into a music video night club without showing ID. Virtual should not be any different. And if you have ever lost your wallet with SS card and DL in it, it is not easy to get replacements for a reason. Age verification should not be simple. It should be as difficult as possible to prevent children from being exploited and recruited into virtual sex trafficking by virtual sex trafficking recruiters. We know they are in world. I would like to know how Linden Lab will handle this. 

I would also recommend addresses provided by users seeking adult access be cross referenced with governing sex offender registries such as in the united states: United States Department of Justice National Sex Offender Public Website (nsopw.gov)

• Haha 3

Just now, Paulsian said:

I would also recommend addresses provided by users seeking adult access be cross referenced with governing sex offender registries such as in the united states: United States Department of Justice National Sex Offender Public Website (nsopw.gov)

Please answer the question I asked.

You've made a really serious allegation that goes well beyond adult verification protocols in its implications.

What proof do you actually have that minors are being trafficked for virtual sex in SL? How do you "know" this?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Please answer the question I asked.

You've made a really serious allegation that goes well beyond adult verification protocols in its implications.

What proof do you actually have that minors are being trafficked for virtual sex in SL? How do you "know" this?

And why has he not shared his evidence with the FBI?

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/cyber

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

And why has he not shared his evidence with the FBI?

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/cyber

The poster has already garnered for himself a well-earned reputation as someone who makes unfounded and unsupported allegations apparently designed to induce panic about security issues, and so forth. I'm pretty sure that he is able to provide absolutely zilch in the way of support for this allegation.

I think we can also dismiss his absurd suggestion about not allowing Basic accounts to add attachments or changing clothing, as this would all but destroy the SL economy, and pretty much ensure that SL turned into a pay-for-sex platform -- which is, in essence, literally what he is proposing.

Not much to see here, in fact, is there?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 9

21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The poster has already garnered for himself a well-earned reputation as someone who makes unfounded and unsupported allegations apparently designed to induce panic about security issues, and so forth. I'm pretty sure that he is able to provide absolutely zilch in the way of support for this allegation.

I think we can also dismiss his absurd suggestion about not allowing Basic accounts to add attachments or changing clothing, as this would all but destroy the SL economy, and pretty much ensure that SL turned into a pay-for-sex platform -- which is, in essence, literally what he is proposing.

Not much to see here, in fact, is there?

I have my views on the poster, of course.

And I await his explanation of how he obtained his evidence, and of why he hasn't shared it with law enforcement (or, if he has, what happened) with considerable interest.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.