Prevent Camming Vertically

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was thinking it would be a really good option to prevent people from 'camming' into different levels of a building. An apartment building, or hotel, for example could make good use of this from renters. Is there a security object out that might make this work? I mean, you can block camming across parcel boundaries, but I dont think parcels can be defined upward. Seems to be limited to X-Y directions.  Any workarounds? etcetera?

• Haha 2

Unfortunately this is currently not possible. It would also be great to be able to assign prim allocation out-of-the-box taking into consideration the Z axis, not only X and Y axis. Surprisingly enough, EEP was implemented taking the Z axis into consideration (ground level, sky 1000m, sky 2000m and sky 3000m), in addition to X and Y axis.

It's possible to do things with an experience. The Amazon River roleplay sims do this. They insist you accept an experience and wear a HUD, or the security system ejects you. If you cam while wearing the HUD, opaque surfaces appear in front of your camera to prevent you from cheating. You get warned that doing this for long will get you ejected. It's well-integrated with the game.

I'd like to have, as a parcel permission, cannot cam beyond line of sight from avatar. This would also prevent going through walls by camming and sitting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cari Soulstar said:

I mean, you can block camming across parcel boundaries

I've never been prevented from camming across parcel boundaries before. Mind explaining where/how this is done?

1 hour ago, animats said:

It's possible to do things with an experience. The Amazon River roleplay sims do this. They insist you accept an experience and wear a HUD, or the security system ejects you. If you cam while wearing the HUD, opaque surfaces appear in front of your camera to prevent you from cheating. You get warned that doing this for long will get you ejected. It's well-integrated with the game.

I'd like to have, as a parcel permission, cannot cam beyond line of sight from avatar. This would also prevent going through walls by camming and sitting.

People can just derender the partition prim.

Why not just use llSitOnLink() to force sit you on a prim with llForceMouselook() active instead? That should force your camera to return to yourself even if you're alt cammed on something which prevents llSetCameraParams() from moving your camera.

13 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I've never been prevented from camming across parcel boundaries before. Mind explaining where/how this is done?

I think with 'block camming', the OP means 'hiding avatars' at certain altitudes, just like what's now possible for parcel borders.

It's a handy feature for people who like to rent stacked skyboxes, I guess. But that's about the only application, and it's one LL will profit less from than from people renting parcels, so I doubt it'll become a thing.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I think with 'block camming', the OP means 'hiding avatars' at certain altitudes, just like what's now possible for parcel borders.

It's a handy feature for people who like to rent stacked skyboxes, I guess. But that's about the only application, and it's one LL will profit less from than from people renting parcels, so I doubt it'll become a thing.

That's parcel privacy, which has two major bugs ATM. https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-37601 & https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-230749

Years ago, there used to be a viewer based feature that blocked you from swinging your camera through or zooming into a hollow linkset you were alt-cammed on from the outside if your avatar was also outside of it. I wonder what happened to that? It was annoying. @Whirly Fizzle do you remember that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Years ago, there used to be a viewer based feature that blocked you from swinging your camera through or zooming into a hollow linkset you were alt-cammed on from the outside if your avatar was also outside of it. I wonder what happened to that?

It might have been the privacy room created by Bill Radek. I remember seeing it on the street shopping system but I don't think it ever made it to the Marketplace.

2 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

It might have been the privacy room created by Bill Radek. I remember seeing it on the street shopping system but I don't think it ever made it to the Marketplace.

This wasn't any one specific object. It was anything with the conditions I listed. It could repro with a linkset I created.

9 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

People can just derender the partition prim.

Why not just use llSitOnLink() to force sit you on a prim with llForceMouselook() active instead? That should force your camera to return to yourself even if you're alt cammed on something which prevents llSetCameraParams() from moving your camera.

My parcel has this function.  I can't cam to see my neighbors nor can they cam in on me.  Radar will show they are there, but no one can cam others.  Not sure how it is done, but obviously there is a way. 

19 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

My parcel has this function.  I can't cam to see my neighbors nor can they cam in on me.  Radar will show they are there, but no one can cam others.  Not sure how it is done, but obviously there is a way. 

As Lucia said,

9 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

It's a built-in function in all viewers.  Just UNcheck the box in About Land >>> Options that allows viewing and chatting with avatars across the parcel boundary

6352b1705cb018528efdd18574af7a45.png

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

As Lucia said,

It's a built-in function in all viewers.  Just UNcheck the box in About Land >>> Options that allows viewing and chatting with avatars across the parcel boundary

6352b1705cb018528efdd18574af7a45.png

That's maybe it.  But mine is set by Luxory.  I've never asked how they do it.

48 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

1 minute ago, Doris Johnsky said:

That's maybe it.  But mine is set by Luxory.  I've never asked how they do it.

That would be horizontal camming, not vertical... It is not possible to block vertical camming or even horizontal camming of any sort in SL. You can cam to your hearts content, whether you actually can see the avs on other parcels is another story.

Even the Lindens wouldn't be able to implement this unless they recoded basically the entire way the client and server interact. But look on the bright side; satisfying ones curiosity with harmless camming usually prevents people from flying up to see what's there.

oh hi everyone, and thank you for all the feedback! yes I was asking about camming to prevent seeing avatars.  I suppose it's another thing entirely to try to block seeing objects. that isnt going to happen!  Sometimes we just like to go and work on our avatars, and I'd rather not be harassed randomly when doing that. And apartments give a kind of neat sense of community too'; giving the privacy option of blocking being viewed is something i think everyone values.  Doesnt sound like anything is a workaround though. nevertheless... she persisted.  😉. big HeArt to everyone!

41 minutes ago, Cari Soulstar said:

And apartments give a kind of neat sense of community too'

They do! I ran a ten-unit apartment building for 6 or 7 years, and it was something that I, and most of my tenants, loved about the place. The downside, of course, is the lack of privacy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cari Soulstar said:

oh hi everyone, and thank you for all the feedback! yes I was asking about camming to prevent seeing avatars.

Thanks for clarifying as I was curious if there was actually something to literally block the cam from moving into a parcel and never knew about it all this time. Glad to see it was just a reference to parcel privacy, which most of us should be aware of by now and/or have already used, despite its notorious bugs.

5 hours ago, Cari Soulstar said:

I suppose it's another thing entirely to try to block seeing objects. that isnt going to happen!

There is actually this feature request for this, to not render objects outside of a parcel.

This would allow land owners and their guests to be free from rendering out-of-theme content in neighboring parcels, not render eyesores, also cull objects when switching rooms/parcels in a game environment, not to mention allow users to crank up draw distance without rendering a bunch of unnecessary crap in other regions.

I would rather LL invest in something like this than map tiles or terrain.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

That would be horizontal camming, not vertical... It is not possible to block vertical camming or even horizontal camming of any sort in SL. You can cam to your hearts content, whether you actually can see the avs on other parcels is another story.

Oh I can into the parcel  but I can't see people. Nor they mine

1 hour ago, Doris Johnsky said:

My point is I didn't do that. It's been that way since I moved here.

That's fine.  If the landowner or whoever had the parcel before you set it and you didn't UNdo it, it's still the same. It's a pretty basic parcel setting. I set it as the default on any parcel on my region any time a parcel changes hands.  Lots of landowners do that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.