Everyone jumping on Metaverse Bandwagon now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Everyday I am seeing a new Metaverse beeing announced, Metaverse , Omniverse, Decentraland, Earth2 , and so on and on ... some based on nft, other on cryptocurrencies other on the Billions of their company and so on , how you see all this and how will touch Secondlife? Should LL ride too that Hype? Eventually Turning to nft too etc?

Edited by Naiman Broome
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Looks to me that some people are going to make lots of money from all these "blah blah blah online" nonsense otherwise those ultra smart folks, CEOs etc wouldn't throw that much cash in to the bucket. The customer is also the product to such stuff.

Now when it comes to SL i think compared to those it will simply look the same way Opensim looks to SL all these years and that is "empty".

Edited by Nick0678

3 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Looks to me that some people are going to make lots of money from all these "blah blah blah online nonsense" otherwise those ultra smart folks, CEOs etc wouldn't throw that much cash in to the bucket. The customer is also the product to such stuff.

Now when it comes to SL i think compared to those it will simply look the same way Opensim looks to SL all these years and that is "empty".

So you mean that SL wil become an empty shell?

1 minute ago, Naiman Broome said:

So you mean that SL wil become an empty shell?

Meta/Facebook  already has large user base counting in the billions range that i am sure plenty of those will jump to the online world thingy.. So think of it this way, why spend my Sunday afternoon in SL listening to some DJ that on their best day gather 15-20 avatars in the same region and not go to a similar event in Meta or wherever that will have 200-300 people (or even thousands).

SL even without any serious competition looks empty and its been like that for years...

4 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

They've twice endorsed NFT's with two different collaborations.

But they're not (yet) a requirement.  As long as I can log in and purchase L$ without using NFTs or crypto-currency, I'm happy. If NFTs/crypto becomes the only way of purchasing L$, that's the point at which I will have to drop out.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Meta/Facebook  already has large user base counting in the billions range that i am sure plenty of those will jump to the online world thingy.. So think of it this way, why spend my Sunday afternoon in SL listening to some DJ that on their best day gather 15-20 avatars in the same region and not go to a similar event in Meta or wherever that will have 200-300 people (or even thousands).

SL even without any serious competition looks empty and its been like that for years...

The way I look at it is that whether I am in an Opensim Grid or S/L, I can only at most IM with a couple of friends at a time while following some local chat. Of what value is it to me to have hundreds in a region or space chatting at once? I'd wager most would be just impressed with the idea of it without being able to actually  have any benefit from it. It would just be a short term novelty and then back to a more intimate setting of 10-20 or so people. YMMV

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Naiman Broome said:

Everyday I am seeing a new Metaverse beeing announced, Metaverse , Omniverse, Decentraland, Earth2 , and so on and on ... some based on nft, other on cryptocurrencies other on the Billions of their company and so on , how you see all this and how will touch Secondlife? Should LL ride too that Hype? Eventually Turning to nft too etc?

I think the most used word on the web will be "LAG".

• Haha 1

why spend my Sunday afternoon in SL listening to some DJ that on their best day gather 15-20 avatars in the same region and not go to a similar event in Meta or wherever that will have 200-300 people (or even thousands).

I've known 5-10 of those 20 people for possibly a decade. SL isn't a platform full of anonymous thousands of people for me. That's why I come back.

16 minutes ago, rmarie Beedit said:

I've known 5-10 of those 20 people for possibly a decade. SL isn't a platform full of anonymous thousands of people for me. That's why I come back.

Oh OK so since you know these people for 10 years then i suppose you also Skype together, play other games etc, it's not just SL and avatars. Moving to Meta or wherever is gonna be easy for all of you.

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The way I look at it is that whether I am in an Opensim Grid or S/L, I can only at most IM with a couple of friends ...

Oh you folks don't use conference? OK..

We always do with friends or even random folks who like to join us when we go to clubs (and also voice a lot since local voice is turned off, makes the whole thing enjoyable, the more the better.)

Edited by Nick0678

1 hour ago, Nick0678 said:

Oh OK so since you know these people for 10 years then i suppose you also Skype together, play other games etc, it's not just SL and avatars. Moving to Meta or wherever is gonna be easy for all of you.

No question most people should probably just go to Meta. I hope the SL platform and all the stuff created endures in some form.

14 minutes ago, rmarie Beedit said:

No question most people should probably just go to Meta. I hope the SL platform and all the stuff created endures in some form.

Maybe it will maybe it wont, personally i don't mind that much since i don't own any LL stocks...

Truth is that we still don't have the slightest idea of what those great companies will build for us and how it will evolve but whatever it is it's going be good because they ALL are willing to spend LOTS of money on it.

In regards to friends nobody ever said that we will leave our current friends and acquaintances behind, we are all moving together forward to experience new technologies, more options and explore new and better things. It's like getting a new car, we will enjoy it together.

This whole NFT and metaverse thing got me thinking [ I know.... it only hurts when I think 😉 ]. Would it be possible to use blockchain technology to secure content creators' IP rights and users content across multiple virtual worlds? The idea popped up in my head because back in the day one of my sons [in RL] was a bit of a crypto evangelist working for various cryptocurrency brokers and I recall watching a few promo videos about blockchain tech. One that stuck in my memory was the one by IBM about how they were setting up blockchain services to guarantee the provenance of diamonds across the production and supply chain as well as how it could be used as a bombproof inventory tracking system claiming that Walmart was considering using blockchain for their inventory database. I have no idea what came of it.

Disclaimer: I am seriously underwhelmed by the whole NFT thing. It just seems like the latest get-rich-quick scam to me.

From what I understand of the metaverse concept there would have to be some sort of portability of content between the various walled-garden virtual worlds as well as a common standard somewhat akin to the common standards of the existing internet for it to live up to the hype. Otherwise it will just degenerate into a pissing contest between the various walled-gardens as to who's got the flashiest features. Well, that's my take on it.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Alazarin Mondrian said:

Would it be possible to use blockchain technology to secure content creators' IP rights and users content across multiple virtual worlds?

In theory, yes. I've written about this before. But NFT land is so full of flakes and scammers that I wouldn't want to be involved with that.

I'm all in favor of building better 3D metaverses. What I want to see is something as general as Second Life, as open as Open Simulator, as good looking as a modern AAA title, and with a frame rate high enough for VR headgear. I fear that all the NFT scams, when they collapse, will give the metaverse concept such a bad name it will be years before anyone tries to solve the hard problems.

I get three views of the Metaverse. First, the SL view, from people who spend time in something that pretty much does what the metaverse is supposed to do. It's just too sluggish and too hard to use. Second, the Reddit view, which is dominated by the "make money fast" crowd. Third, the game developer view, where there are long discussions about how Epic gets all that detail with Nanite and why the Spatial OS approach to big seamless worlds didn't work out. And, on the game dev side, the big unanswered question - how do we make the metaverse fun?

This, of course, is SL's problem. The world itself just sits there. We have to make our own fun. For a sizable fraction of the population, that either takes up too much time or is beyond their abilities. Even if developers get the technology up to the Reader Player One level, will we just be wandering through a big empty world that looks better than SL and has less lag?

• Like 2

On 12/5/2021 at 12:52 AM, Naiman Broome said:

My eyes are burning from seeing that idiotberg --- had to stop the video.  Nothing much new since SL been doing this stuff for 2 decades.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.