All I Want for Christmas is "Skip Intro"

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

The "Login" button therefore serves as a "Skip intro" button (or am I getting something different to you?). 

Heavens no. That's way too simple and way too fast. You would want to add an extra step. First 'Skip Intro' and then 'Login'. There's a Dutch proverb: "Why do it the easy way, when you can do it the hard way?"

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
to -> too
  • Haha 2

Just now, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Heavens no. That's way to simple and fast. You would want to add an extra step. First 'Skip Intro' and then 'Login'. There's a Dutch proverb: "Why do it the easy way, when you can do it the hard way?"

Ohhhh I do so miss the good old days when we would have to blow the little white dot on the television screen to make sure it was properly off

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No, because I have way more important bookmarks for work and RL than the SL bookmark that I need to take priority to be in the view, so that it means the SL bookmark then is pushed to the side and then has to be fished out of a list every time.

How many bookmarks do you have now that are in view in Chrome?  With the slightest knowledge of abbreviations, I can easily get 30 THIRTY bookmarks across the top of my Chrome.  So you have 30 bookmarked pages that are more important to you than logging into your SL accounts?  How do you ever find time for SL with all these other web pages that have priority?  Your excuse is not only lame, it is ridiculous.   Just like you love ads, so won't use an ad blocker, that also stops the Intro video.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

So I guess setting your browser up so the Second Life Dashboard page is one of the tabs that is always opened when you start your browser is out, too.

You're really hard to shop for, y'know?

As I explained, I have to change to other accounts and relog all the time. And even if your particular trick works, I don't want SL to be my start page. I want Yahoo or Google to be my start pages, usually Yahoo so I can see news. Google is empty and useless and you can search from the task bar anyway.

No, I'm not hard to shop for. Forums regulars find it impossible to see the obvious when ordinary people are inconvenienced. The Lindens need to put in "Skip Intro," it's not that we all need to do various contortions to make the movie go away.

• Haha 2

Bookmark this link > https://id.secondlife.com/openid/login?return_to=https%3A%2F%2Fsecondlife.com%2Fauth%2Foid_return.php%3Fredirect%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fsecondlife.com%2Findex.php&language=en-US&show_join=false

It's a sweet and short loginbox redirecting you to the login of SL without any distractions. I've explained before what exactly that link does.

Oh wait, i forgot, you don't like bookmarks, lol so i'll do you one better. Google how to edit your 'hosts' file (Windows) and add the following exactly:

id.secondlife.com/openid/login?return_to=https%3A%2F%2Fsecondlife.com%2Fauth%2Foid_return.php%3Fredirect%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fsecondlife.com%252Findex.php&language=en-US&show_join=false secondlife.com

If you don't know how to edit your hosts file, frikkin' google it or get a tool like HostsMan. That allow you to edit it the easy way. What this will do is change what happens when you go to "secondlife.com" (manually type it in) it will redirect to the above link.

And if you're now gonna tell me you're a Linux or fruit computer user, imma burst a vain!*

PS: You said earlier that when you go to facebook you type it into google and then click it. I'm sorry... i really don't follow your logic. What's wrong with typing facebook.com in the address bar? That is saving you an extra thing to click as well. But i guess, as was said before "why do it the easy way when you can do it the hard way", right? You're hysterical 😛

Added bonus: If you use that link (bookmark, or edited hosts file). Every time you go to secondlife.com it'll ask you to log in, since that is apparently what you seem to want

* Lol, not really ;) 

Edited by CaithLynnSayes
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The Lindens need to put in "Skip Intro," it's not that we all need to do various contortions to make the movie go away.

Submit a JIRA asking them to change the LOGIN button to SKIP INTRO.  All fixed.  

Adding one bookmark to the top of Chrome is not a contortion.  Most users never see the movie, because they found one of many simple ways to stop it.  You are just being stubborn again, for reasons only you understand. 

This thread you started  is frivolous. 

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/frivolous

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Diplomatically put, Nick. :) 

The nearest my Second Life ever got to that was while I was a mermaid for a while. And probably TDD123 with his android avatar in the space-themed part of his sim, graphics turned up highest. That would be the nearest I ever saw to the avatars in the videos on the splash screen. Even then, not even close to that quality. 

Could be a challenge for the next photo-themed thread though - I am exempt because I run Second Life on a potato.

I had to disable Ublock to see the SecondLife intro video..   https://storage.googleapis.com/sl_mktg/hero-video.mp4

... i don't know, now i feel weird.

huh-confused.gif

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

I had to disable Ublock to see the SecondLife intro video..   https://storage.googleapis.com/sl_mktg/hero-video.mp4

... i don't know, now i feel weird.

huh-confused.gif

Now I watch the whole video thoroughly, I see it is clearly a mix of Second Life footage plus some real life 'models' hooked up to something to make them appear to be flying, shot against a green screen and then blended into the video.  Still not a true representation of what Second Life is, slightly misleading, but like you wrote beautifully earlier, someone's idea of how SL could or should look.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Now I watch the whole video thoroughly, I see it is clearly a mix of Second Life footage plus some real life 'models' hooked up to something to make them appear to be flying, shot against a green screen and then blended into the video.  Still not a true representation of what Second Life is, slightly misleading, but like you wrote beautifully earlier, someone's idea of how SL could or should look.  

It beautifully illustrates the complete disconnect between upper management and the product at hand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

And even if your particular trick works, I don't want SL to be my start page. I want Yahoo or Google to be my start pages

That's why I said "one of" the tabs. My browser (either Firefox or Chrome) is set up so that when opened, three pages are opened, each in its own tab. You can put Google on the first tab, SL on the second, and YouTube or whatever you like on the third. You aren't limited to three, either.

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That's just your inner child, bored with doodling on the walls. Buy her some coloring books, color pencils and crayons. Then you two can have fun together! 🤫☺️

You might be joking, but I do have colouring books. I used to buy them when I worked in a call centre and we had downtime between calls and the mindless chatter from my colleagues really got on my nerves. The supervisor came into the room one day and could not believe how quiet it was, or what we were all doing. Yes, there we were, colouring in! And some of us even managed to keep the colours within the lines.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

You might be joking, but I do have colouring books. I used to buy them when I worked in a call centre and we had downtime between calls and the mindless chatter from my colleagues really got on my nerves. The supervisor came into the room one day and could not believe how quiet it was, or what we were all doing. Yes, there we were, colouring in! And some of us even managed to keep the colours within the lines.  

I have coloring books. I've worked call centers.

• Like 1

In the summer of 2008, shortly after the unveiling of Apple's troubled cloud services suite, MobileMe, Steve Jobs gathered employees together in the Apple Auditorium...

Jobs: “Can anyone tell me what MobileMe is supposed to do?”

When a few bold individuals began to answer him, Jobs snapped: “So why the f**k doesn’t it do that?”

If the SL intro video is intended to show what SL is supposed to do, where's the top level LL exec asking the hard questions?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.