Jump to content

All I Want for Christmas is "Skip Intro"


Prokofy Neva
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Dear Lindens,

My wants and needs are small. I always try to make do, no matter what you throw at us and at me personally I never needed avatar foot shadows or Infinite Stars. Yes, search is broken, but I realize now why you had to make that giant interface like a Large-Type Book for the elderly or a cloth book for kindergarteners.

Because our retinas have all been burned by the web site splash pages.

I literally shut my eyes when I log in and wait for it all to go away -- I can't stay logged in on one account to avoid this assault, because I have to log into multiple accounts. Why? Tto hold my groups together. Why so many groups? Because they stop loading at all especially with land in them after a few hundred people and I can't change people's roles or go to a parcel. BTW Alchemy, which I rely on for search now to see what is happening on my 30L search ad lots, sadly doesn't load groups at all.

It's ok. I don't need to chat in the groups. I don't even allow chat in my groups and close any other groups chattering. And I can find landmarks to my land or take a stab at it from the map, which thank God is working again now. And I can use Artizan to pull up individual people's names to IM them since I can't get the name from the group (forget about searching on a full name; use a few letters, etc.).

But I need you then to do just one little thing: mitigate that bright splash screen ad with all those crazy avatars, most of which I have never seen in SL even going to Fantasy Faire full tilt every year.

Make a Skip Intro. We are your existing customers. We have seen it zillions of times. We will not be buying more land or premiums for having seen it, at least I won't. I totally get that you need to have this kind of happening hipster VR-like ad to get new members. And I hope you will find new blue people to come to SL. But my eyes hurt.

So please, Skip Intro. Better yet, retire it and make new static adds that shuffle like a slide show rather than little videos. Vision is a precious thing. Once it is lost, it's usually impossible to restore.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I open my browser and navigate to secondlife.com, I get 

8ec4984101e11e54fa3857274611518c.png

If I click Login, it either takes me to a simple login page (not the blue splash page) or directly to my dashboard (if I am already logged in on a different account).  Maybe I'm doing something odd, or my browser is smarter than I gave it credit for.  I haven't seen that blue splash page for a long time.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

If I open my browser and navigate to secondlife.com, I get 

8ec4984101e11e54fa3857274611518c.png

If I click Login, it either takes me to a simple login page (not the blue splash page) or directly to my dashboard (if I am already logged in on a different account).  Maybe I'm doing something odd, or my browser is smarter than I gave it credit for.  I haven't seen that blue splash page for a long time.

If you're logged in on your dashboard and log out to switch accounts, THEN you see the splash screen.  That's the only time I see it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you're logged in on your dashboard and log out to switch accounts, THEN you see the splash screen.  That's the only time I see it.

Thanks, Rowan. Maybe that's it. When I want to log in on an alt's account at the same time as this one, I always do it in an Incognito window.  That way, I don't have to log out to change accounts; logging in from that window is interpreted as if I were logging in from a different computer.  And I never see a blue splash screen.

Incognito.jpg.91a2d0f9ef04e59ec5a8ee369b0ed884.jpg

Edited by Rolig Loon
Additional information
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Set up a PiHole and you will never see the intro video ever again.

You will also never see adverts on web pages, windows wont be able to send telemetry data home, and adverts will vanish from mobile devices so long as they exclusively use your wifi

You will need.

To complete the privacy trifecta, install browser addons uBlock and Privacy Badger

No adverts, no holes in web pages and no adverts on youtube.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Set up a PiHole and you will never see the intro video ever again...

 

That is one of the scariest, least informative sets of instructions I've ever run into. All of it, just SWOOOOSH, right over my head. (Not your post, Coffee, the stuff at the links you gave).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

As I already stated, I keep seeing the splash screen because I have to switch accounts to the other premiums that control groups.

And, as I said earlier, I don't see the splash screen because I log with a second account by creating a second instance of secondlife.com in an Incognito window instead of logging out of the first instance.  That way, I am logged in on two accounts simultaneously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

And, as I said earlier, I don't see the splash screen because I log with a second account by creating a second instance of secondlife.com in an Incognito window instead of logging out of the first instance.  That way, I am logged in on two accounts simultaneously.

That's great, but I don't want to be incognito. I don't care if my data is scraped. There isn't an awful lot to scrape.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

That's great, but I don't want to be incognito. I don't care if my data is scraped. There isn't an awful lot to scrape.

That's fine. I don't care either. I'm not using an incognito window to hide anything. It's just opening a second, independent window in my browser that is not connected to the first instance. It's like logging in to the second account from a different computer.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's fine. I don't care either. I'm not using an incognito window to hide anything. It's just opening a second, independent window in my browser that is not connected to the first instance. It's like logging in to the second account from a different computer.

Thanks!  That works perfectly and no splash screen!  Never thought of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Never thought of that.

To be honest, I didn't think of it either until a Linden suggested it sometime last year, after I submitted a desperate support case to figure out how to log in on two accounts simultaneously.  😉 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's fine. I don't care either. I'm not using an incognito window to hide anything. It's just opening a second, independent window in my browser that is not connected to the first instance. It's like logging in to the second account from a different computer.

They could also put a "Skip Intro".

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, all I want for Christmas is the money to get my top and facial surgery so I look more feminine so this dysphoria doesn't drive me crazy. I am trans male to female and yeah I feel like looking at a flat chest and a semi masculine face all the time, when all you want is an outward appearance of a female is hard. Especially when you are on social assistance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Set up a PiHole and you will never see the intro video ever again.

You will also never see adverts on web pages, windows wont be able to send telemetry data home, and adverts will vanish from mobile devices so long as they exclusively use your wifi

You will need.

To complete the privacy trifecta, install browser addons uBlock and Privacy Badger

No adverts, no holes in web pages and no adverts on youtube.

 

I pay for YouTube Premium for ad free viewing. But if I didn't, I would watch the ads. As I want to support the creators that I subscribe to, as I can't afford to pay for all of their patreons. As for the last bit, I honestly don't care if sites are tracking me. They do that, so they can create ads that are targeted specifically to you. I mean before that, I would get a lot of ads for erectile dysfunction or some other issue or problem. I didn't have. Now I don't have to worry about seeing ads about the superbowl or other things I don't like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I pay for YouTube Premium for ad free viewing. But if I didn't, I would watch the ads. As I want to support the creators that I subscribe to, as I can't afford to pay for all of their patreons. As for the last bit, I honestly don't care if sites are tracking me. They do that, so they can create ads that are targeted specifically to you. I mean before that, I would get a lot of ads for erectile dysfunction or some other issue or problem. I didn't have. Now I don't have to worry about seeing ads about the superbowl or other things I don't like.

Most YT creators income comes from patreon and baked in sponsorships, if they have the later, really don't need loose sleep over supporting them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...