All I Want for Christmas is "Skip Intro"

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

50 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Just bookmark this, https://secondlife.com/my/ and you're done.

Glad to have solved your 'problem'.

No, because I have way more important bookmarks for work and RL than the SL bookmark that I need to take priority to be in the view, so that it means the SL bookmark then is pushed to the side and then has to be fished out of a list every time.

And no, I don't want ad-blockers.

Glad you agree it's a nuisance to watch. So the Lindens need "Skip Intro".

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Why is it when someone suggests a good alternative to an issue someone has they have every excuse to dismiss it?  It's like talking to a child. @Prokofy Nevayou probably are not going to get what you want so might want to explore some of these options and quit whining. 

Why can't the Lindens do "Skip Intro"? Not like that's so hard.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, XemmaN said:

the login to the account is saved in the bookmarks and always immediately opens the login window. no problems with ads and site Intro screensavershttps://gyazo.com/2d83969a10542e1723525bba6cd662df

This is the bookmark link i use > https://id.secondlife.com/openid/login?return_to=https%3A%2F%2Fmarketplace.secondlife.com%2F&language=en-US&show_join=false

and it looks like this:

SLLoginScreen.thumb.jpg.181c79bbb4ff2c262464955615177a7a.jpg

If you dissect That URL, you'll see that after login it will redirect to Marketplace and it won't show the register for new members box (show_join=false)

Why does it look so dark you ask? Oh, i just use an extension for chrome called Dark Reader. It's pretty neat. It does a great job at trying to flip just about any webpage into dark mode.

PS: Yes, my password really is that long.

I have to admit that that in-your-face Dr. Manhattan Smurf Elf Thing being the poster avatar and apparently the embodiment of SL is rather cringe-worthy. To me it indicates a disconnect between the LL marketing team and what SL is all about (at least, for me). But then again, what is the 'average SL avatar' anyway? I'm pretty sure the makers of that video had a lot of fun. And it must have cost quite a fortune to make.

13 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No

It's the lamest excuse for not making a bookmark. Better yet: when I type in 's' in the URL bar, it auto-fills to 'https://secondlife.com/my/'. But f** pragmatism, right? Embrace the suffering.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Do you know what marketing is? Do you really want a company that measures its income at least partly from advertising to limit it? Fat chance of that, if anything it'll find ways to maximize it ;) 

• Like 1

Just now, CaithLynnSayes said:

Do you know what marketing is? Do you really want a company that measures its income at least partly from advertising to limit it? Fat chance of that, if anything it'll find ways to maximize it ;) 

1. It never had all this jazz before. It had a slide show at best, and not even that always.

2. It's not effective to market to existing customers with, and I quote Arduenn, "in-your-face Dr. Manhattan Smurf Elf Thing."

3. Therefore they can have "Skip Intro" instead of making their existing user base suffer and fish around for bookmarks or put in apps or any other contortion. It's not like "Skip Intro" is so hard. I happened to have worked on a web site recently where they put it in quickly when they found that people in some countries protested that their graphics-intensive intro would take forever to load. It's come to find it all over the Internet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Prokofy Neva said:

1. It never had all this jazz before. It had a slide show at best, and not even that always.

2. It's not effective to market to existing customers with, and I quote Arduenn, "in-your-face Dr. Manhattan Smurf Elf Thing."

3. Therefore they can have "Skip Intro" instead of making their existing user base suffer and fish around for bookmarks or put in apps or any other contortion. It's not like "Skip Intro" is so hard. I happened to have worked on a web site recently where they put it in quickly when they found that people in some countries protested that their graphics-intensive intro would take forever to load. It's come to find it all over the Internet.

Dude, Several people have suggested great alternatives like bookmarking direct login links and other solutions, from what i'm reading you've declined all of them. You want LL to pander to 'your' way for this none-issue that is easily solved at your end...

EntiteledBratt.gif.22275ed3d9c45bd73cdfc20b42bee202.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

заставлять свою существующую базу пользователей страдать и рыться в поисках закладок

in the google chrome browser there is a very convenient interface for storing different types of bookmarks. on the bookmark bar, for example, I store everything that is needed in real life. other bookmarks - folders have been created in which I store bookmark packages, for example, for sl. for cinema. for social networks, etc. ... by touching other bookmarks with the mouse, I instantly see my necessary bookmark folders., the ones that are most relevant I put at the top of the folder. it is very convenient. you just need to get busy and arrange these bookmarks as you like

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

For ONE person that cares about it? Seriously? This has got to be one of the more useless threads on this forum. You can't bookmark a site the way someone suggested because you have more important bookmarks for work and RL? So SL is supposed to cater to your personal hierarchy of bookmarks?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, XemmaN said:

in the google chrome browser there is a very convenient interface for storing different types of bookmarks. on the bookmark bar, for example, I store everything that is needed in real life. other bookmarks - folders have been created in which I store bookmark packages, for example, for sl. for cinema. for social networks, etc. ... by touching other bookmarks with the mouse, I instantly see my necessary bookmark folders., the ones that are most relevant I put at the top of the folder. it is very convenient. you just need to get busy and arrange these bookmarks as you like

@XemmaN Yes, I have Chrome. No it is not convenient at all because it is not in the view across the page. You have to go into folders and lists. It is not instant. Bookmarks are kind of a geeky and archaic thing. A lot of people, including myself, just type "Facebook" into Google in order to go to that page, for example. That's the usage reality. The theoreticals and what you as a geeky SL user might do are irrelevant to mass usage.

Therefore, LL should put in "Skip Intro".

@Sam1 Bellisserian I'm hardly the only one annoyed and inconvenienced at this, again may I quote, "in-your-face Dr. Manhattan Smurf Elf Thing" -- I heard people puzzled or annoyed about it all the time. They just aren't on the forums -- 80-90% of the user base *isn't*. The forums are for 10% or less of the user base and of these, 2% post. So put yourself into perspective. 

It's much more likely that the "one person" solutions are things like Coffee's "pi" solution than my request which is reasonable and normal and used on many websites all over the world.

Why can't the Lindens put "Skip Intro"? It costs them nothing and saves aggravation from many of their returning users. That they need to keep inflicting this pain on the eyeballs -- and that their forums regulars can always be relied upon to muster up on their behalf and browbeat critics - are among the reasons their usage does not grow.

But then again, Andrew Linden (Employee No. 2) had the explanation for this ages ago at the dawn of time. That he would throttle usage even if it didn't throttle on its own because the architecture was not robust enough to support the millions envisioned.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I'm pretty sure the makers of that video had a lot of fun. And it must have cost quite a fortune to make.

That's what our insane tier fees pay for, so staff can roleplay as budget Cortana/Mystique/Navi/Smurfette while also physically representing their disconnect with the platform and its users in a video game inspirational advertising style best left in the 80's.

• Like 2

I never saw the blue splash screen before you made mention of it, but that is only because I don't very often visit my dashboard or log out to log back in on this or another account. I saw it for the first time two days ago, and I see what you mean about the large fonts and avatars, but I truly don't understand why you need a "Skip intro" button, as on my screen there is still the option to "login" at the top. 

This is what I see, just for a moment before I select "Login" and am taken to the regular calm login screen. 

The "Login" button therefore serves as a "Skip intro" button (or am I getting something different to you?). 

skip it.jpg

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I never saw the blue splash screen before you made mention of it, but that is only because I don't very often visit my dashboard or log out to log back in on this or another account. I saw it for the first time two days ago, and I see what you mean about the large fonts and avatars, but I truly don't understand why you need a "Skip intro" button, as on my screen there is still the option to "login" at the top. 

This is what I see, just for a moment before I select "Login" and am taken to the regular calm login screen. 

The "Login" button therefore serves as a "Skip intro" button (or am I getting something different to you?). 

Yours looks much better.. mine still has that Zombie eyes avatar.

dGgm3hO.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Yours looks much better.. mine still has that Zombie eyes avatar.

dGgm3hO.png

Oh I have that too. It runs through them all if I let it. I've been in Second Life for 14 years now and my Second Life has never looked anything like that intro. It's misrepresentation really. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Oh I have that too. It runs through them all if I let it. I've been in Second Life for 14 years now and my Second Life has never looked anything like that intro. It's misrepresentation really. 

Yes that character doesn't bring back any memories, even from the days of the Avatar movie when we were all given those blueish skins+tails. It must be ... an "artist's impression of how SL..could be."

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Yes that character doesn't bring back any memories, even from the days of the Avatar movie when we were all given those blueish skins+tails. It must be ... an "artist's impression of how SL..could be."

Diplomatically put, Nick. :) 

The nearest my Second Life ever got to that was while I was a mermaid for a while. And probably TDD123 with his android avatar in the space-themed part of his sim, graphics turned up highest. That would be the nearest I ever saw to the avatars in the videos on the splash screen. Even then, not even close to that quality. 

Could be a challenge for the next photo-themed thread though - I am exempt because I run Second Life on a potato.

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No, because I have way more important bookmarks for work and RL than the SL bookmark that I need to take priority to be in the view, so that it means the SL bookmark then is pushed to the side and then has to be fished out of a list every time.

So I guess setting your browser up so the Second Life Dashboard page is one of the tabs that is always opened when you start your browser is out, too.

You're really hard to shop for, y'know?

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.