Let's Hate Windows 11

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Windows 11 sucks, the taskbar is complete screwed and you need to use some app to get (some) functionality back. Like moving it to the side of the screen. Not sure if quickstart is gone. Round corners are just waste of resources. Am happy with square corners. Not happy you need secure boot. Not to talk about home users that are forced to create a microsoft account. Never link windows ro the cloud !

But for now i don't need to worry, my perfect running system is to old for windows 11 not plan to leave windows 10 for long time anyway.

• Like 2

I was going to post a question concerning Win11 and SL, but from the responses in this thread, so far, show a clear 'thumbs down' for the moment.

My new HP lap is Win11 compatible and I have been sent notices in update that the days of 11 are coming.

I'm not a fan of Win10 by any means (dislike the layout) so I grabbed a Win7 shell and installed it. Win7 was so much easier to navigate.

I'll hold off on any Win11 install...for a long while at the least.

10 minutes ago, Schatzi Timmerman said:

I was going to post a question concerning Win11 and SL, but from the responses in this thread, so far, show a clear 'thumbs down' for the moment.

Not sure I'd take my cues from those who 1. hate anything from Redmond or 2. hate anything from anywhere.

At least as far as SL goes, I haven't noticed any change at all with Windows 11. (I guess it might be faster, but I'm currently on a machine so ridiculously fast I'd never be able to tell.) That said, it's certainly possible the little UI tweaks aren't somebody's favorites; personally, though, after a week I've already forgotten how things worked before. (Oh, and I'm sure somebody will get unlucky and their idiosyncratic device driver will break in the upgrade, or maybe things go wrong when they take an exotic path to upgrade like this poor guy; do not try that at home, and check out that editor's note: "we do not recommend following Brad Bennett’s footsteps since his installation methods are unorthodox, risky and frankly, don’t work.")

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Schatzi Timmerman said:

, but from the responses in this thread, so far, show a clear 'thumbs down' for the moment.

if you erase the wannabee experts, and other phantasy stories as the OP, for normal, general, most, many, average ... (and a few more) users with up to date machines there is NO reason to fear updating.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/1/2021 at 7:18 PM, Fritigern Gothly said:

It's baffling that a dev like you couldn't even manage to run a simple wizard for the GPU drivers.

It's not that hard for NVIDIA at least, though it does require you to know some console-fu, namely knowing how to enable executing a program and executing it, as well as how to shut down X (The software responsible for linux having a graphical interface). There's also the option to use the PPA on Ubuntu to just automatically update.

Seriously, I think we'd be in a better place if Linux was more predominant. Microsoft wouldn't be as stalwart in making stupid-ass UI/UX, software and firmware decisions.

On 10/4/2021 at 3:13 PM, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Oh, and to try and be as fair-minded as possible, I do agree with some of the comments about the annoying hoops you have to jump through for Linux.

Linux is by no means perfect, and is just as good as Windows sometimes at being a law unto itself

Lubuntu 20.04 in particular has decided that anthing Microsoft can do, it can do...

"There's updates for your computer. Yes I know you were busy but I had to tell you right now. No, you can't look and see what they are and pick and choose. You do them all or you don't. I can wait all day if I have to..."

I don't bother with mainstream Ubuntu. Whilst I've got a modded out derivative of KDE Neon, I don't really feel comfortable using something like Manjaro or Arch, at least not yet.

On 10/5/2021 at 2:37 PM, Nick0678 said:

It is nice and clean but it isn't easy ...

(better stay with windows unless you are willing to learn many new things in regards to computers)

anim.gif

What TPV is that? I've never seen one like that before. Aura, was it?

On 10/5/2021 at 10:23 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

Is that Linux version pretty user friendly?

I've been dying to get away from windows, especially this last version.. They really seem to want to get more and more in my business or put me out there more..

I don't care for all the junk that came with the version I'm on now..

I want some peace and quiet and peace of mind for a change.. hehehe

If you're new to Linux, I recommend personally using either KDE Neon or Linux Mint. Both are very newbie-friendly distributions of LInux.

Edited by Rathgrith027
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

...things go wrong when they take an exotic path to upgrade like this poor guy; do not try that at home...

That was amazingly like my experience.  I would not call it an "exotic path to upgrade"...except maybe the part where he copied his OS files to a different drive and thought that would work.

But this makes at least three times the MBR vs. GPT issue has caused someone problems, that I know of. Me, that poor guy, and another mention. You know what they say: "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action."

I'm sure there are enough semi-computer literate people like me out there that similar howls of anguish will soon be heard across the land.

See, my computer is VERY new. And when the Resident Geek installed Windows 10 on it, it formatted the two 1TB SSDs with MBR, without even asking (at least, the Geek does not recall being asked). The process for converting MBR to GPT is either a) very tricky and tedious, if you use Microsoft's method or b) expensive and/or liable to problems, if you use a third party utility to do it.

What I'm saying is that Microsoft has put a big stumbling block in everyone's way, by requiring everyone to use GPT, but formatting a lot of disks with MBR.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

They lost me when they said they locked the taskbar to the bottom of the screen and didn't let you move it anymore.

Don't get me started on Linux. I work as a software engineer and let me just say that I've never seen so much contempt for the ordinary user and disregard for the value of the users time as I have seen in Linux and its many distro's. Everything is made for the linux developer, by the linux developer. Nothing is made with regard for ordinary human beings with precious little time on their hands and a task to fulfill. I like to consider it 'psuedo-intelligent' design. It tries to make out that it is smart, by exposing all of its guts to you, but it is actually stupid, because in doing so it prevented you from completing your task within the confines of the time you have available to complete it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

They lost me when they said they locked the taskbar to the bottom of the screen and didn't let you move it anymore.

I'm an ultrawide user .. that locked taskbar will eat a considerable amount of screen real estate. The shy taskbar feature in windows has never worked acceptably.

8 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Don't get me started on Linux. I work as a software engineer and let me just say that I've never seen so much contempt for the ordinary user and disregard for the value of the users time as I have seen in Linux and its many distro's. Everything is made for the linux developer, by the linux developer. Nothing is made with regard for ordinary human beings with precious little time on their hands and a task to fulfill. I like to consider it 'psuedo-intelligent' design. It tries to make out that it is smart, by exposing all of its guts to you, but it is actually stupid, because in doing so it prevented you from completing your task within the confines of the time you have available to complete it.

There is also a prevailing attitude of shipping prototype software as the finished product. Hacking stuff together is the end goal, not actually using the end result.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could ... followed by a hacked up proof of concept ... that ends up being a foundational part of a mainstream solution.

It's a house of cards, and every card says "beta" on it.

• Like 1

Just installed W11 in one of my laptops..

To me they seem to run just fine with the usual high ram usage of course that windows always had but... wtf is wrong with you guys arguing  about the toolbar. Seriously?

Dumping a totally brand new O.S because of the toolbar? Ahahaha. Cmon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Just installed W11 in one of my laptops..

To me they seem to run just fine with the usual high ram usage of course that windows always had but... wtf is wrong with you guys arguing  about the toolbar. Seriously?

Ultrawide ... the fixed lower task bar and applications fixed upper bar letter boxes everything.

I'm not constantly switching between maximized applications. I am running them side by side.

32 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Third parties have already addressed the taskbar issue and in fact can give you a classic Windows 7 look and feel.

You can regex hack it to the top, you can move the buttons about and whatnot - 3rd party apps just do this without needing to tinker in regedit by hand.

Can't be placed on the side, it just breaks.

There is a windows feedback post about this with 13K votes.

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/feedbackhub/fb?contextid=215&feedbackid=5b41a8d3-c1a6-4d24-aef0-750d28be2d78&form=1&utm_source=product-placement&utm_medium=feedback-hub&utm_campaign=feedback-hub-redirect

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The shy taskbar feature in windows has never worked acceptably.

For me it was garbage in Win 7 and 8, but it got pretty good in 10 and seems fine in 11 (although I'm not sure about it on a second monitor; I don't have a "real" second monitor, just this Wired XDisplay hack, so can't really judge).

5 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

What ever works for you, lad.  At least you haven't paid anything for Linux.

You can still choose Windows or MacOS.. But Windows doesn't have a nice taskbar so i suppose..  MacOS. Enjoy.

4 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

After two and a half hours of churn yesterday my Laptop with W10 has confirmed it can't run 11. So I can't come to the party, at least not this year.

If you are using your laptop to check mail, browse the internet and play second life don't worry you are not missing much.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

And the show begins.

ezgif.com-optimize-15.gif

26 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Traditionally every second version of windows was a cash-grab = lemon 🍋.

I'm not sure what to think about Windows Elemon... um... um.. um... oops🥴... 
I meant Windows Eleven. 🤭

You should have finished typing before eating the lemon. 🤭

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.