SL not so welcoming to new residents

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

it is still not a example of unwelcomming, but a very common access rule for specific users. People have restrictions in access everywhere on the globe, internet even social media .. but specific use in SL is sudden unwelcomming... it's not. This is just another example of the "i want it and i want it now" mentality.
The age restriction used here is something different.

If that isn't an example of being unwelcoming, I would hate to see what your idea of unwelcoming is.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

You'r wrong, it's totally not the same as preventing newcommers have a bad start in SL.

No. You're wrong. 
Title of thread: SL not so welcoming to new residents 
My post: SL not so welcoming to old residents either. 

I have a feeling you're getting defensive, if you have a closed sim, you have every right to. But don't call it "welcoming". Because it's only that to those on a list who fit a certain criteria.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I go to RP places that clearly state that you must wear clothes that fit the theme.  I check radar and no ones on the region. I go about my merry way and do what I want.

If owners want moderation, then hire guards to maintain the order they desire.

To put a lot of this inperspective. There are restrictions we face our entire young life. Can a 15yo go into a strip club and get a lap dance in RL?  No.   Can a 17yo buy booze, tobacco products in some areas? No.  Can a 25yo run for POTUS?  No.There are many things that people have to wait till they reach a certain age to do..  

As to the "most toxic place I've ever been ".  I've roamed SL a long time and I've never been in some place I would call "toxic". Unwelcome, yes. But toxic?   No. 

Edited by Doris Johnsky
  • Like 4

Back when I did own land I never restricted the region to over 30 days. I did set it to 3 or 4 days, which ever one gave the full 72 hours. It's a lot easier to find something to do for a couple three days than trying to find something to do for 14-30 days. I wanted new people to think they didn't have to wait long so they would want to come back and explore and maybe rent a parcel/participate in the lite RP/buy MY prefabs. Maybe I'm not as self-centered as some like to believe.

• Like 3

Even these forums have restrictions.  New posters have a posting limit.  A time restriction between posts.  Why?   For the same reason places have restrictions inworld.  Because of a few bad apples.  

No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no entry.  Life is filled with restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I go to RP places that clearly state that you must wear clothes that fit the theme.  I check radar and no ones on the region. I go about my merry way and do what I want.

If owners want moderation, then hire guards to maintain the order they desire.

To put a lot of this inperspective. There are restrictions we face out entire young life. Can a 15yo go into a strip club and get a lap dance in RL?  No.   Can a 17yo buy booze, tobacco products in some areas? No.  There are many things that people have to wait till they reach a certain age to do..

As to the "most toxic place I've ever been ".  I've roamed SL a long time and I've never been in some place I would call "toxic". Unwelcome, yes. But toxic?   No. 

Toxic is just the word that is trending until it gets worn out, just like so many other words that are worn out by exaggerated use.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Even these forums have restrictions.  New posters have a posting limit.  A time restriction between posts.  Why?   For the same reason places have restrictions inworld.  Because of a few bad apples.  

Only those posting limits are a recent restriction due to, of all things, griefers aka forum trolls!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Some aren't even really aware they have rented land on a region that restricts to over 30 days until someone points it out to them.

Watch how fast that relationship ends as soon as a sim owner starts kicking a store owners customers.. hehehehe

Usually there is a set of rules that will drop in a note card or on a board if that rule is in place to let those entering know what's up..

I can't say I've ever seen that before with all the shopping I do..

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

New players, and existing ones, have nó right for acces everywhere.

The opposite of "I find a minimum age of 30 days unwelcoming" is NOT "Everyone should have the right to access everywhere."

De facto any length of age restriction is unwelcoming. "sorry, your account is too young, you cannot come here." that is unwelcoming. There cannot really be a discussion about that?! There are scenarios where age restrictions might make sense, but the fact that they make sense doesn't make them welcoming.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Watch how fast that relationship ends as soon as a sim owner starts kicking a store owners customers.. hehehehe

Usually there is a set of rules that will drop in a note card or on a board if that rule is in place to let those entering know what's up..

I can't say I've ever seen that before with all the shopping I do..

Yep, you get notecards but that tiny little detail usually isn't one that is included. It's just not something most people  would think to include. 

"Your customers must be at least 30 days old to enter your store."

Um... who the hell do you (general) think you are to tell me how to run my business? No. I dont think that would go over very well. I think it would turn people off so much they would rent  elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Yep, you get notecards but that tiny little detail usually isn't one that is included. It's just not something most people  would think to include. 

"Your customers must be at least 30 days old to enter your store."

Um... who the hell do you (general) think you are to tell me how to run my business? No. I dont think that would go over very well. I think it would turn people off so much they would rent  elsewhere.

The OP was saying they were looking at photography sims or certain sims they seen on flickr..

There may have been a pattern of certain types of sims that would have that rule more than others..

They did say the majority of places they went to had that rule.. So they may have been stuck in a certain bubble search..

I don't think they have a good idea of just how big sl really is..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Need a vaccine so they no longer need the mask! 

In one way I have to wonder why the need for the age to be displayed anyway. Seems a potential data privacy issue.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

In one way I have to wonder why the need for the age to be displayed anyway. Seems a potential data privacy issue.

If the age being displayed was the RL age of the person behind the avatar, I would say that could be a potential data privacy issue, but I really don't see how the age of the account would be a data privacy issue.   Even just about every forum I've participated in has shown the age of the person's account for that service or platform.

Although in some ways, by some people, the avatar age is like a badge of sorts, and can also be a cause of drama. 

<shrugs>

• Like 3

Once you have been in SL for a while, you will actually come to bless those venues that limit avatar by age.  Imagine trying to got to a shopping event and have it FULL of bots spamming and giving items that will drain your lindens.  There is a reason that the sims limit users that are new and that is so that  people that have stuck around and invested in their accounts can access those regions without being harassed or scammed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The OP was saying they were looking at photography sims or certain sims they seen on flickr..

There may have been a pattern of certain types of sims that would have that rule more than others..

They did say the majority of places they went to had that rule.. So they may have been stuck in a certain bubble search..

I don't think they have a good idea of just how big sl really is..

A few of the photography places I've been to over the years will also allow rezzing if you join the specific group for it.  I can definitely see why an age restriction would be wise in this case.  Again, a case of restrictions used because of a few asshats.  

@Arielle Popstargive it a rest.  I'm fully vaccinated and still wear my mask when I go into a public place.  Why?  Once again, because of asshats not being vaccinated and the vaccination being less than 100%.  Ya know because....science.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

LL is responsible for a warm newbie welcome IMHO.
Parcel and region owners have the right to manage their land as they think is best for them.
Owners that apply restrictions most likely have a completely different agenda than make newbies feel welcome.

• Like 4

Another fine example why this forum is only good "for the lulz" and not worth of any serious "discussion".

Stupid little images with very diverse (oh sorry, is that word reserved for some gender stuff? I. don't. care.) meaning mean emotional wreckage for some, everything has to do with the big C ... blah.

• Confused 3

29 minutes ago, Semirans said:

Once you have been in SL for a while, you will actually come to bless those venues that limit avatar by age.  Imagine trying to got to a shopping event and have it FULL of bots spamming and giving items that will drain your lindens.

And on what base are you claiming this? Because I've just made a quick check. No age restrictions at Uber, Fameshed, Truth, Maitreya. What was the age restriction on the SL18B shopping event? And strangely enough they're not full of bots spamming and giving items that will drain your lindens.

Edited by Noelle Delaunay
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.