SL not so welcoming to new residents

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

probably said something totally quotable here but I just deleted it because that's not the actual point. 

↑ and Rowan didn't say that, btw. George Carlin said that... 

Anyway, Rowan, I just read some excellent, snarky, sarcastic, on point comments by you in a thread now closed. You know I'm not here often or much any more so I have to do some deep diving when bored and come across closed threads. Just wanted to be my fan gurrrrl self and applaud you.

Keep up the good work. Fight the good fights. Snark the White Knights. (hmmm, I could make this poetry, but that would make me a jerk)

• Thanks 1

But most of all, snark those who thrive on having enemies.

Fortunately, I don't see this dynamic too much inworld. Not as much as I do on the forum anyway.  And so I see SL overall as pretty welcoming to new people. I do take note though, that it might be because we don't open our mouths as much inworld.  😁

Basically, SL is pretty much like real life in that your experience depends on who you meet.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

↑ and Rowan didn't say that, btw. George Carlin said that... 

Anyway, Rowan, I just read some excellent, snarky, sarcastic, on point comments by you in a thread now closed. You know I'm not here often or much any more so I have to do some deep diving when bored and come across closed threads. Just wanted to be my fan gurrrrl self and applaud you.

Keep up the good work. Fight the good fights. Snark the White Knights. (hmmm, I could make this poetry, but that would make me a jerk)

Who?  Me?.  Snarky and sarcastic?  Why I never...

• Haha 2

I dunno, I run across newbies all the time, and some I suspect aren't really new at all, but, I try my best not to pretend I know. Sl is a lot more welcoming and easier to navigate than some might think. There are some steep curves with regards to functionality and there are plenty of issues a new person might run into, but not being welcoming isn't even in the top 30 on the lists of people I frequently run into and help. In fact, it's only been mentioned by one person I've helped since 2008 and it was because that person was doing stupid stuff that pretty much put others in the position to not want to help and welcome them. So it was totally  a self-imposed shunning in that case. But sl is by far and large,  pretty damn welcoming, even without the mentor program still in place.

There is WAY more help available now than there once was, I know that for certain, because when I tried to find it for myself, I had to look for places outside of sl itself, forums really were the only option way back when (blogs were less present, youtube far, far less present), to find 1/100000000000000000 of the information people can find in sl just by asking questions in groups. It's crazy the amount of help and information available today that once wasn't and seriously had to be hunted down. Even with less people around today, and there is of course, the help seems far more abundant. As long as people are willing to look for it, of course, and don't pretend to jump ship when they can't or won't do that, lol. Way more tutorials, way more blogs, way more groups, way more people with way more knowledge. Maybe that's the tradeoff now, less people inworld, less likely to run across big gatherings of people or actual mentors in larger quantities, but the information is far more widely available than before. Seems likely and reasonable to me. It's certainly my experience, but I could be wrong, I don't think I am, but anything's possible. 

A lot of the places I have seen that do have the 30 day rule, have had issues with people coming in and causing a ruckus for no reason other than they can, usually alts and not actual new people. I had to implement that rule for about a month to stop some asshats (2 actually, lol) from doing what asshats do, because it was a major menace for other guests on the sim. After the problem faded, I got rid of that rule, I actually still talk to the 2 people that caused it, they've grown up a bit since then lol.  A few clubs I know(I don't like cubs, not advocating for them lol) have this rule because they've had issues where they have to remove someone or have an ex employee or whatever that causes problems and then all of a sudden all of these new accounts come in one by one to cause issues. So, yes, it's a preemptive strike against asshatery, which some may not like, but they may have good reason why it's necessary. I still think the number of places that have this kind of rule in place are far fewer than some might think. I can only think of less than a handful I have seen since 2008, 2 clubs, my old sim temporarily, and a fishing hole that regularly had issues but no longer exists, lol. 

OP is just a drive-thru faux whinery and not to be taken seriously, imo, so I don't intend to do so, lol. 

• Like 6

OOoooooOOOooooh! Geebus. FIC being thrown around!

Like someone else, I vaguely remember that kerfuffle, but the original may have actually been before my GD Forum time. So many kerfuffles over so much time, it is hard to keep them straight.

Didn't that also get turned into F-something (Forum) Inner Circle? The elite that runs the show. They are there you know. Always. The Cognisenti. :::nods knowingly::: mmmhmmm  Or was that another TLA (three letter acronym) for the Forum Elite?

Sounds like something in which the Anvil Dropper would have been in the middle.

Nice to see a discussion of "fetid" vs "feted." Much better than the standard "your" vs "you're."

Edited to add: never mind. :) I just read a few pages back (thanks Rolig) (hope I spelled that right)
 and the "inner circle" was clarified. Inner Child. Inner Circle. All fresh-smelling.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1

I think the main issue on this is where the tutorials are harder for people to understand how SL works. Even though Youtube is the best resource I learned things on my own by finding out what I can and cannot do.

As for sims when I came in 2018 to SL to give it a try since I was bored on an old platform I discovered on my alt I couldn't visit a lot of places and forgot about this account that was made in 2011. I found out I can visit a lot of places on this account besides one place that apparently doesn't allow demo or classic bodies which is a bit of a turn off where new players want to explore and not cause problems over the last couple of years after a decent avatar upgrade, renting land etc I feel like all new players on SL should be treated with respect and not suspected as an alt. I barely use my alt anymore because I use this one instead all the time. 

A lot of new players have a hard time figuring out the avatar options for clothes and stuff is more difficult than a previous platform I have not logged into in over a year since I spend a lot of my time here on SL. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.