How Does Your SL Look Today?

Bagnu

R(15).thumb.jpeg.309cd1e033fe39ac6ae8fe941cab839a.jpeg

20 minutes ago, cirleen said:

My friend was talking about how to make a good looking avatar and I told her the main mistake people do is to make their arms too long. Look at people in public sometimes, the tip of their fingers usually reaches only as low as their crotch.

That is not actually true.  Your fingertips should hit below your crotch to mid-thigh.  Too short and you have what's referred to as T-rex syndrome.

Note where the fingertips are in these proportional human figures.   Of course, there are always differences between all humans but this is a good general.guide...

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, cirleen said:

My friend was talking about how to make a good looking avatar and I told her the main mistake people do is to make their arms too long. Look at people in public sometimes, the tip of their fingers usually reaches only as low as their crotch. No one wants to look like an orangutan.

Surely that would mean their arms are too short, the wrist would be approx belly height for the fingers to reach where you say. I might be a really short person who always finds sleeves too long in RL even my own arms are longer than what you describe 

• Like 4

Thanks @Rowan Amore and @Claireschen Hesten, though there's an awful lot of people in RL with somewhat short arms, it's the hand size that's been fooling me. Many SL bodies give a wide range for hand size but the scale leans towards large hands. I've got to place my hands at the lowest setting in Maitreya, and they still look too big. The longer hand length and the illusion of big arms it creates fools me. So I need to make my arms longer and my legs shorter. Those are my physical defects lol. You all are wonderful, thanks.

Edited by cirleen
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, cirleen said:

Thanks @Rowan Amore and @Claireschen Hesten, though there's an awful lot of people in RL with somewhat short arms, it's the hand size that's been fooling me. Many SL bodies give a wide range for hand size but the scale leans towards large hands. I've got to place my hands at the lowest setting in Maitreya, and they still look too big. The longer hand length and the illusion of big arms it creates fools me. So I need to make my arms longer and my legs shorter. Those are my physical defects lol. You all are wonderful, thanks.

For average females, the proportions are as such...the one thing it doesn't mention is that the length of the hand should equal the length of the face.  I notice a lot of tiny heads, arms and hands in SL compared.to the.overall size of the bodies.

The average female body is seven and a half head high

It's about one head from the bottom of the chin to the mid point of the breasts

from the top of the shoulder to the elbow, the bicep is about one and a third heads long

The arm, from armpit to fingertip, is about 2/3 the length of the leg from groin to sole

From navel to groin is about one head length

From chin to groin is about 3 heads

The waist is about one head wide

The hips are about one and a half heads wide

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

For average females, the proportions are as such...the one thing it doesn't mention is that the length of the hand should equal the length of the face.  I notice a lot of tiny heads, arms and hands in SL compared.to the.overall size of the bodies.

People have their own tastes and though I find a well proportioned body pleasing to look at, there are many in SL who like exaggerations of body parts. This is nothing new in human history, people with certain physical attributes have often been preferred. It shows up in the MP, each body has its own spin. Altamura has a European look where Kupra is proof that the media has ridiculed every healthy body that's not skinny. But these things can be overdone to the point of not looking good, like the enormous length of some male genitalia and what I call "sim wide boobs." Few strive for an absolutely perfect avatar proportion, and sometimes it gets ridiculous, but some people like it. Thanks for the proportional info, that's a good way to start, based on the size of the head.

ridiculous.thumb.jpg.71572944627f5c335c2b3ebe301761c3.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The average female body is seven and a half head high

It's about one head from the bottom of the chin to the mid point of the breasts

from the top of the shoulder to the elbow, the bicep is about one and a third heads long

The arm, from armpit to fingertip, is about 2/3 the length of the leg from groin to sole

From navel to groin is about one head length

From chin to groin is about 3 heads

The waist is about one head wide

The hips are about one and a half heads wide

This might seem obvious but perhaps our avatar preferences, and preferences in general, reflect how we are. My avatar has short arms because I don't like to overextend my reach and my legs are long because I like to run away from things. I think our avatars show, not how much what we look like, but how we act.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was working on our Island bridge yesterday, adding some leaves from a texture I created with an Ivy Generator in 3DSMAX. I made a sculpted prim that approximates a drape over the vines, and a sculpted rock. I would much prefer to work only in mesh, but I can't beat an LI of one!!! Primstar only works in Blender 2.79b and it makes me want to pull my hair out!!!

Island Bridge.png

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, archangel969 said:

I wanted to play Anita Ekberg from La Dolce Vita, but I only got an enormous bump on my head 🙂

I just had to look her up, since you mentioned it:

4015a03f6b0f19575fc6aac210ce16735b-anita

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

Yes that's her! I was referring to the iconic fountain scene from Fellini's La dolce vita, so this one:

Thanks!! I've never seen the movie, but I love that scene!!! Full of eroticism!!!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Thanks!! I've never seen the movie, but I love that scene!!! Full of eroticism!!!

It is! And it's so masterfull done I am totally inspired by this. If you take this iconic scene: it's seems almost a dream or surreal while there are no surreal things happening. It is full of eroticism while nothing really happens. Only a real master can do such things. I have seen the movie I guess five or six times in my life and every time the movie seems different and I see scenes I have seem to have forgotten. But I am a Fellini fan (and also Visconti fan if you talk about Italian movies).

La dolce vita also gave the world a new word: pararazzo. The main character Marcello, a gossip journalist, refers to his collegue as 'Paparazzo.' After that gossip journalists are often called paparazzi.

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 4

Cat and I getting ready for Christina's opener today at noon SLT. Cat's not sure she can be there at noon, and I'm not sure I can either. If not we'll go later. 

Cat and I getting ready for the opening 2.png

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Cat and I getting ready for Christina's opener today at noon SLT. Cat's not sure she can be there at noon, and I'm not sure I can either. If not we'll go later. 

Cat and I getting ready for the opening 2.png

Tres chique! Just like Marcello and Sylvia from la Dolce vita :-)

marcello and Sylvia.png

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trying out assorted debug settings for vram limitations to try and get firestorm to use whatever resources it wants, so far ive got it to ignore the read limit for texture memory (768mb as it reads) and instead it now uses about 1gb for textures in this scene 

which is insane by the way, thats with texture resolution limited to 512x512, i fear entering any store packed with 8k resolution textures of store display buttons

no noticeable change in framerate but it does mean i dont see any blurry textures anymore

sl.png.76b72750af58fd81fa6c664f260f8fe8.

edit: interesting insight, cranking shadow quality to the max immediately brings it to 11.5gb of vram usage

sl2.png.c35365699f53262f6ec7bb1d171a7403

Edited by gwynchisholm
  • Like 7

Cat couldn't come as expected to Christina's exhibit opening. Last minute RL issue. @Cinnamon Mistwood was able to come. Cat and I will have to go together later today or tomorrow, depending on when she can be online. It was so nice to see the ladies giving each other a warm supportive hug.

Sandor Christina Cinny at opening.png

Christina and Cinny Hugging.png

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 7