Please fix the market place

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I spent two hours searching for Catwa Beard, Catwa HDPRO Beard, Beard, Mesh Beard and all results are random with clothing, hair, earrings and all sorts of stuff.  I think this has gone long enough.  Fix the market place so it's easier to search for items.  If I'm searching for Beard, I expect 1,000,000 pages to pop up on beards.  Not shoes or sex stuff.  It's very sad when you do search for sex stuff, you get children stuff.  This is disgusting.  Your market place is a hot mess. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lord Derryth said:

I spent two hours searching for Catwa Beard, Catwa HDPRO Beard, Beard, Mesh Beard and all results are random with clothing, hair, earrings and all sorts of stuff.  I think this has gone long enough.  Fix the market place so it's easier to search for items.  If I'm searching for Beard, I expect 1,000,000 pages to pop up on beards.  Not shoes or sex stuff.  It's very sad when you do search for sex stuff, you get children stuff.  This is disgusting.  Your market place is a hot mess. 

It usually helps to select a category. After the initial search the categories will populate results. Generally speaking the one with the most results is where you want to be looking. That being said MP is last resort for me just for this reason. The search engine is pretty outdated. I think I saw some beards at the Man Cave event. Probably have better luck there. At least you'll know the product is new and not 5-10years old like 75% of the stuff in MP.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

It's not only the searching engines fault. Often merchants use keywords in their listings which have nothing to do with the products they offer in hope to get more visitors to their shops.

And LL needs to stop allowing that but they will get to it when they get to it. Which is never. 

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

And LL needs to stop allowing that but they will get to it when they get to it. Which is never. 

I think it is hard to control. If not impossible. If anyone sells clothes and uses sex furniture as keyword, how can the market software find out that he lies in his listing? Btw, keyword abusing violates the market TOS already.

Edited by Doc Carling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Doc Carling said:

I think it is hard to control. If not impossible. If anyone sells clothes and uses sex furniture as keyword, how can the market software find out that he lies in his listing?

You do realize the search algorithym includes sellers names, right? So if the seller is called 'beardeddude07" but sells furniture, anyone searching for beards is going to see his stuff too. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chris Nova said:

You do realize the search algorithym includes sellers names, right? So if the seller is called 'beardeddude07" but sells furniture, anyone searching for beards is going to see his stuff too. 

Yes. Some shops have even entire sentences as shop names using popular keywords.

13 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

Yes. Some shops have even entire sentences as shop names using popular keywords.

The problem is nothing is regulated. Theres no rules. Its do whatever you want. Its been this way since day 1 with zero changes and naturally.... People took advantage. 

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

there are rules

there are rules. Is just that Linden rely on shoppers to flag items that are non-compliant for their Linden attention, and not many people do this

Yup. And that needs to change but probably wont ever happen. 

2 hours ago, Lord Derryth said:

I spent two hours searching for Catwa Beard, Catwa HDPRO Beard, Beard, Mesh Beard and all results are random with clothing, hair, earrings and all sorts of stuff.  I think this has gone long enough.  Fix the market place so it's easier to search for items.  If I'm searching for Beard, I expect 1,000,000 pages to pop up on beards

Linden don't have clear instructions for how to use search keywords, which they could improve

if looking for beards for catwa then in Search All categories (G, M, A): "catwa beard" OR "catwa HDPRO beard" NOT *demo*

returns Avatar Accessories: 148. Avatar Components: 63. Complete Avatars: 12. Weapons: 1

the Weapons listing seems to include facial blood layers which might include a layer beard dunno

18 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

there are rules

there are rules. Is just that Linden rely on shoppers to flag items that are non-compliant for their Linden attention, and not many people do this

That's a good point. Perhaps the flag option would be more used if buyers could add a short description what's wrong in their opinon.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

That's a good point. Perhaps the flag option would be more used if buyers could add a short description what's wrong in their opinon.

Agreed. The flag categories are very limited. The few times I went to flag something, I ended up aborting because none of the categories covered it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lord Derryth said:

Why is it that whenever I do the exact searches people complain about on Marketplace, at its default settings, I get exactly the things people say they can't find?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?search[category_id]=&search[keywords]=catwa+beard&search[maturity][]=General&search[maturity][]=Moderate&search[maturity][]=Adult&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[page]=2&search[per_page]=12&utf8=✓

Naaooowww, if someone would do something like going out of their way to search under "newest first" without setting a category, yes, you'll get hash. Because what you just did was ask for hash - you asked for the newest items containing those keywords and that will be exactly what you get.

3 hours ago, Lord Derryth said:

I've been here 17 years and yet to see any changes to the MP.  Imagine a world where you search for a beard and not get other random stuff. 

That's misleading. The marketplace is a lot newer than 17 years. It didn't exist back then, and neither did it's predecessors.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

they néver said they will solve the issue with keywords ... even worse, they said in several posts by a certain Linden, they will nót. It's on the users to report it ( and still nothing really changes)

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Naaaaaow that MP is cloudy.. LL can leverage the host platform and integrate new, better, top 'o the line search including keywords!!

I'm excited just imagining it!!!1!

Before a company invests money and work they reflect about what's the benefit. A top of the line search engine makes the life for buyers easier. But why should it result in more buyers?

41 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

Before a company invests money and work they reflect about what's the benefit. A top of the line search engine makes the life for buyers easier. But why should it result in more buyers?

Because, for just one of many reasons, happy customers are more likely to be "net promoters". They will, as such, help to attract more business (vs. driving it away) - "promoters"..promote.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

But why should it result in more buyers?

If you can't find what you are looking for you can't buy it :o and both LL and creator loses potential sale income.

I don't know how they can fix it but problem related with sub product I think.

When someone try to purchase a mesh body (head etc..) they type name of body in search. Instead of body they getting sub products related with mesh body.

If they search for a sub product they getting irrelevant sub product because of search algorithm. When you search hair without switching of adult category you will get some funny results.

Edited by RunawayBunny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Millions of items on the Marketplace. Half of the merchants isn't even active in world any longer.
Good luck with enforcing rules and guidelines.

I'm with Skell: improve your (general you) search skills is the best one can do.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Why is it that whenever I do the exact searches people complain about on Marketplace, at its default settings, I get exactly the things people say they can't find?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?search[category_id]=&search[keywords]=catwa+beard&search[maturity][]=General&search[maturity][]=Moderate&search[maturity][]=Adult&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[page]=2&search[per_page]=12&utf8=✓

Naaooowww, if someone would do something like going out of their way to search under "newest first" without setting a category, yes, you'll get hash. Because what you just did was ask for hash - you asked for the newest items containing those keywords and that will be exactly what you get.

Hash?  Not sure what you mean?  I did the search using NEWEST FIRST and only one item was added in there, a statue, but it pulled up all the new BOM beards.  

To the OP:  Learning to work all the filters is important to getting good results.  If you want to filter out demos you could also put a money limit in the boxes that are available on the left such as 2 linden to 500 linden, and that gets rid of most demos and you don't have to type in "not demo". 

My usual way to search is I put the keyboard in the box up top that says keyword, type my word in there such as 'boho' and then hit the APPAREL > WOMEN'S.  Or, if I want boho furniture, I could type 'boho' in the keyword box and then hit HOME AND GARDEN.  And, that brings up many boho items in women's clothing or home and garden.  

The search can be quite refined I find...it just takes a bit a learning how to make it work for you.

I do, however, think MP needs more categories.  Discussed the need for more categories on the forum here with a Linden in the thread.  The Linden in that thread wanted to know more categories we would like but no one spoke up other to recommend 'mesh head' as a category.  I recommended CHINA (Dishes), CURLY HAIR and I forgot the other now but even though the Linden wanted to know, only me and another person spoke up.

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.