Jump to content

Please fix the market place


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I do, however, think MP needs more categories.  Discussed the need for more categories on the forum here with a Linden in the thread.  The Linden in that thread wanted to know more categories we would like but no one spoke up other to recommend 'mesh head' as a category.

Eek No! Too many categories already for avatar items:

Why the need for 3 categories that describe the same thing? The categories are part of what make it confusing. Same with the Sort by menu. The Relevance option shouldn't even need to be included if I search specific terms like Catwa + Beard. The moment I do choose a different menu item though like Newest First, I suddenly get skins, shapes, animations etc which to me are not relevant to begin with unless I choose that specific category. Someone mentioned too about a creator name being included in search results when the name includes the term I am searching for. The results for that is a major Pita and since there is already the ability to search Creator names elsewhere, why include it in the search results for an item search? That to me is easily fixable and removes some creators entire catalogue from the search result that have no relevance.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Hash?  Not sure what you mean?  I did the search using NEWEST FIRST and only one item was added in there, a statue, but it pulled up all the new BOM beards.  

To the OP:  Learning to work all the filters is important to getting good results.  If you want to filter out demos you could also put a money limit in the boxes that are available on the left such as 2 linden to 500 linden, and that gets rid of most demos and you don't have to type in "not demo". 

Or, you could just click that little Do not show Demo items box.. 

846753430032b47bb9469fa75ac6a9de.png

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Eek No! Too many categories already for avatar items:

Why the need for 3 categories that describe the same thing? The categories are part of what make it confusing. Same with the Sort by menu. The Relevance option shouldn't even need to be included if I search specific terms like Catwa + Beard. The moment I do choose a different menu item though like Newest First, I suddenly get skins, shapes, animations etc which to me are not relevant to begin with unless I choose that specific category. Someone mentioned too about a creator name being included in search results when the name includes the term I am searching for. The results for that is a major Pita and since there is already the ability to search Creator names elsewhere, why include it in the search results for an item search? That to me is easily fixable and removes some creators entire catalogue from the search result that have no relevance.

I'm talking about categories that don't exist like one of the ones I recommended - Curly Hair.  The Linden was in the thread and asked for people to please put their suggestions and only me and one other person did.  There are lots of categories I'd love to see, CHINA > TEASETS, ETC for another one.  Oh, and I remember the other category I suggested it was ANTIQUES.  But could use ANTIQUES > ENGLISH, FRENCH, SHABBY CHIC, PRIMATIVE/RUSTIC, etc.  

And, yes, you could be right about NEWEST FIRST.  I had forgotten that but still why are statues that are not beards showing up?  Anyhow now I remember how I use NEWEST FIRST.  I go to HAIR > Women, then I choose NEWEST FIRST.  Newest first is also good once in the MP store and one wants to see the newer items of that store.   With newest first under HAIR though it can pull up at lot of Gacha items, so you need to check do not show limited edition items.  

But, I still don't get why statues without a beard are showing up in a catwa+beard NEWEST FIRST search?  Their name doesn't have beard in it.  

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Mollymews said:

there are rules

there are rules. Is just that Linden rely on shoppers to flag items that are non-compliant for their Linden attention, and not many people do this

Well. That's not entirely true. A year ago I flagged a pair of stores (listing by listing) that were openly admitting that you wouldn't get the permissions indicated, and might never get them. Entirely at their whim.

The stores, and the flagged listings, are still there. Support tickets tell me to flag the listings again. Which isn't possible. Finally took it to the MP sub forum, and apparently the Lindens in charge of the MP don't know if it's allowed or not.

So not only do they not enforce their own rules, they don't even know their own rules.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Well. That's not entirely true. A year ago I flagged a pair of stores (listing by listing) that were openly admitting that you wouldn't get the permissions indicated, and might never get them. Entirely at their whim.

The stores, and the flagged listings, are still there. Support tickets tell me to flag the listings again. Which isn't possible. Finally took it to the MP sub forum, and apparently the Lindens in charge of the MP don't know if it's allowed or not.

So not only do they not enforce their own rules, they don't even know their own rules.

So technically, there are no rules 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would love to be involved in a project to improve Marketplace categories.  Breedable plants, for example, currently can be in several categories.  That's fine if you're looking for a particular brand, but discouraging if you're just looking for exotic plants to decorate with.  My assessment is that on the whole the Marketplace is well organized and titled, but it's very difficult to narrow searches sufficiently to find out if anyone has a particular sort of thing you'd like to find.  It's not like real life where you can go to a shop specializing in the category and *ask*.  "I'd like 1" dancing shoes in nude with a strap, something like character shoes."  Good luck with that.

We need a place where problems with Marketplace searches can be listed so we can see them in greater context, and a place where people can discuss how to solve them.

There are several problems with attempting to have discussion about organization.  One is a lot of people don't grasp the difference between where they think an item should go and where they would actually *look* for it--you see this a lot in inventory discussions.  Another is sloppy thinking--"I call it X so it should be called X even though it's a non-indicative term".  Another is people just throwing in random complaints--this thread, for example, has a few good discussions interspersed with unhelpful, unclear, or inaccurate comments.

Here's my unhelpful, unclear, or inaccurate random comment:  Wouldn't it be nice if there was a checkbox to *not* search shop names and avatar names?  "beardeddude07" problem solved.

Edited by LibGwen
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Did he transfer, then? Last I heard he was playing for Andornot FC o.O

I'd never heard of him until he got a mention here, but, according to Wikipedia, he's a Nornand international. I think it's a misspelling of Norland though, but I could be mistaken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

But, I still don't get why statues without a beard are showing up in a catwa+beard NEWEST FIRST search?  Their name doesn't have beard in it. 

That particular store also sells hair and facial hair. And a quick viewing of the source code for that listing page shows that they're keyword spamming and can rightfully be flagged. These are the keywords they've used for those statues:

mesh,medium,avatar,classic,appliers,catwa,omega,100%,pirate,hippie,hipster,man,mustache,mesh,beard,beards,dreads,dread,braid,long,signature,slink,hair,bom,hairbase, facial,hair,lelutka,statue

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The Relevance option shouldn't even need to be included if I search specific terms like Catwa + Beard. 

Before mesh heads became a thing, Catwa Clip was primarily a hair maker. Therefore, "Catwa + Beard" could very possibly be thought to be a search for a beard by Catwa.

22 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The moment I do choose a different menu item though like Newest First, I suddenly get skins, shapes, animations etc which to me are not relevant to begin with unless I choose that specific category. 

Thennnn pick a category.

22 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Someone mentioned too about a creator name being included in search results when the name includes the term I am searching for. The results for that is a major Pita and since there is already the ability to search Creator names elsewhere, why include it in the search results for an item search? That to me is easily fixable and removes some creators entire catalogue from the search result that have no relevance.

Isn't having to search separately for a creator's name just as much of an "imposition" as having to pick a category to filter down a search?

People seem to think that keywords are magical. They're words and can have multiple meanings. I'm currently studying Japanese so I'm making flashcards - for instance, I might write a character and put down that it means "second."

Now, does that mean, "the next after first" or does it mean, "one sixtieth of a minute"?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Isn't having to search separately for a creator's name just as much of an "imposition" as having to pick a category to filter down a search?

Except there is an area dedicated to searching for merchants by name. Those names should be excluded from a non merchant tab search. 

e623882a29a91d2091c4b1ebe88da8da.png

If i search in "Items" why should merchants/stores names pop up?  Seeing as items dont pop up in the merchants/stores search, i would say that the Items search tab is broken since merchant/stores do indeed show up there. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Except there is an area dedicated to searching for merchants by name. Those names should be excluded from a non merchant tab search. 

e623882a29a91d2091c4b1ebe88da8da.png

If i search in "Items" why should merchants/stores names pop up?  Seeing as items dont pop up in the merchants/stores search, i would say that the Items search tab is broken since merchant/stores do indeed show up there. 

But what if you just want to search using keywords instead of setting categories because having to set categories is perfectly poopy?Wauuuu!!!

(Psst... I was playing a character there.)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

That particular store also sells hair and facial hair. And a quick viewing of the source code for that listing page shows that they're keyword spamming and can rightfully be flagged. These are the keywords they've used for those statues:

mesh,medium,avatar,classic,appliers,catwa,omega,100%,pirate,hippie,hipster,man,mustache,mesh,beard,beards,dreads,dread,braid,long,signature,slink,hair,bom,hairbase, facial,hair,lelutka,statue

Ah, I see.  Perhaps they use a copy and paste for all their listings.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

beards.thumb.jpg.e03c6384648058c6d05049bb0d21a37c.jpg

When I type in 'beard' in Search, I get 18,000+ results, 95% of which are beards.

I guess the take-away is that in order to 'fix' Marketplace, there need to be more beards?

And in the first 10 pages, only 3 items I saw that weren't beards.

People fail to understand not ALL issues are completely LL's fault.  MP could certainly be better but one's failure to know HOW to search isn't LL's problem.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Unless I have missed something entirely ... no store or merchant individual listings show up in the Item search.

If such is happening for you, do kindly provide the exact search string and where you originated that search.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=magic&search[sort]=relevance_desc

5ea648918409d7d69fa74499c5d20fa9.png

The one in the middle..

And here are the keywords.. 

0a697607a0d21355c83375a43b255805.png

As you can see.. the only thing that popped was the merchants name for magic. 

ETA their whole store is mixed in that search.. all jewelry, no magic.

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...